It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American schools cuts one day of the week to save money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Four-Day School Weeks
Starting Aug. 11, this rural school system in northeastern Louisiana will hold classes only four days a week, following the lead of more than 100 school districts in 17 states. The reason? To save gas money.

As the price of diesel--which most school buses run on--topped $4.70 per gal. last spring, school officials across the country watched their transportation costs skyrocket as much as 40%.

Nearly 1 in 7 school boards nationwide is considering whether to drop a day.

Test scores have not changed significantly, teachers feel they cover 20% more material because of longer classes each day and less absenteeism.

www.time.com...

Hmm well it might be a positive thing if students learn more and have more energy in the busy times we live in. Initialy i thought; oh man, now theyll learn less and become more ignorant and "stupid"...
But if one can perform better each day cause you have energy, then i say go ahead..

Here in Scandinavia i have noticed that more and more places are trying 6 hours workdays with good results, because everyone has much more energy, and are much more productive. I Worked at a place that had 6 hour days, and it was amazing how fast the days went.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The school curriculum has been corrupted by political interference, according to a new report from independent think-tank Civitas. The traditional subject areas have been hi-jacked to promote fashionable causes such as gender awareness, the environment and anti-racism, while teachers are expected to help to achieve the government's social goals instead of imparting a body of academic knowledge to their students.

www.civitas.org.uk...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
wow, is this true? Don't they have to go to school 182 days per year, by law? Are teachers still getting paid the same? I wonder what the long-term results will be. I am a teacher, so I'm curious.

new topics

join