It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orange Cheddar Cheese -- Why's It Orange?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
After living in New Zealand for ten or so years, I was startled during a visit to the USA by just how _orange_ American cheddar cheese is. Cheese manufacturers in New Zealand don't seem to add colouring to their cheeses.

After doing a little research, I discovered that highly regarded cheese from Cheddar, England, had a natural, slight orange tint to it. As Cheddar's cheeses grew in popularity, competitors started to dye their cheese in an effort to deceive consumers.

I'll be darned if people who have to choose from one kind of orange cheese or another know the history of why their options or orange, and I'll be darned if they care...but if I were still living in America, I'd be writing some letters to those darned, deceitful cheese manufacturers, now that I know they're loading all their cheddars with ridiculous amounts of colouring...especially as I'm now aware that it's an attempt to fool people into thinking those regular supermarket cheeses are of a higher quality than they are.

If JediMiller were still around, I'm sure he'd be interested.

Here's a link: www.accidentalhedonist.com... itle=why_is_cheddar_cheese_orange&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

new topics

join