It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Bulk Food Source (Ordering Full Food Service Drums)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Question, where can I get the 50 gallon food service drums from (full of food that is)?

I have been searching the net off and on all week and have been unable to find a source as most of the Restaurant supply companies only carry smaller / case items. I can find tons of #10 cans but what I would like to see is the prices of food in the large drums (for comparison of course).

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

What sort of food do you mean? I've worked in the restaurant industry in a couple of different capacities over the years, and I've never seen 50 gallon drums of food.

The closest I can remember seeing was a ~30 gallon cardboard tube thing filled with fortune cookies.

So..unless you plan on surviving on fortune cookies, you might have to settle for #10 cans.

Besides, why would you want 50 gallon drums of food? Were you planning on repackaging it? I imagine the cost of sterilizing and repackaging would offset any savings over #10 cans.

If you're not repackaging it, you're going to have spoilage issues, I would think.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'll call my purveyors tomorrow to double check, but to my knowledge the only food-type products that regularly come in 50gal containers are sauces/condiment type things - ketchup, BBQ, etc.

If you can get in with foodservice purveyors, you can get things like flour & sugar in 100lb sacks, shortening or lard in 50lb bricks, stuff like that, but I don't know of any sort of prepared foods that come in 50gal drums. You could potentially special order if you're a big enough customer, something like McDonalds, but for the average Joe (or restaurant) I'm at a loss.

(thanks for the reminder - I need to order a block of shortening this week
)

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Yes, I know Olives & Pickles come in them but I was not sure if "dry goods" such as rice, beans, cheese powder, salt, sugar, corn, wheat, oatmeal, grits ect. may as well.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

I have purchased items from the following two merchants. They also sell containers.

This may be what you are looking for. They sell in bulk 25 pound and 50 pounds as well as pallets of #10 cans. Check the shipping costs; very large quantities (more weight) may require special handling and fees. You may want to purchase the drum and then fill it.

waltonfeed.com...

This is another good website for bulk items. Also, for both, you can purchase smaller quantities..

www7.mailordercentral.com...

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Siren]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Sorry, meant to follow up earlier but I've had a busy couple days!
Checked with several different suppliers we deal with at work and no go on 50gal drums of nonperishables such as flour, rice, etc.

Your best bet will be 50lb sacks of these type of items if you want to buy in bulk. Be aware that items such as flour and rice can and often do attract bugs if stored for long periods of time. Keep the bags sealed if you do buy until you really need them, or break the large bag down into smaller 1 or 2lb portions, sealed in Ziploc bags and wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. Also remember that brown rice can go rancid, so unless you have a consistently cool, dry area for storage stick with white rice.

BulkFoods.com is an excellent resource with good prices for the general public, and they have free shipping to the lower 48 on orders over $75.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
These guys sell bulk dried goods in "superpails" basicly a lined 6 gallon bucket. Ive used this company for other items in the past, but never these as shipping to my area is out of hand. Good luck in your search.

BePrepared

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Most bulk food suppliers are reporting orders out 12 weeks or more. Hopefully you're not expecting to need the food until Christmas of thereabouts.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Check out Efoodsdirect.com! They have #10 cans and other dehydrated options... Looked interesting.

new topics

top topics

join