It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Users limit ignore list?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Maybe those you call liars you should debate with,not ignore.

You called me one but not once in a thread have you even debated with me and given proof to back up your side of the argument.

Calling someone a liar and then doing feck all about it is not in keeping with the spirit with ATS.Prove they are a liar or don't even say anything in the first place.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My view would be that if you've got so many people you don't want to hear from you're slightly spoiling your own ATS experience. I've never ignored anyone, myself - I can't imagine anyone saying anything that would irritate me to the necessary degree. If anyone's that offensive they get ticked off by the mods, don't they?

I always thought the ignore function was the ATS equivalent of screwing your eyes shut, sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "la la I can't hear you I can't hear you"....

LW

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Why have an ignore list.... some of the funniest times I had here was taking on the Zionist Members AKA Freemason, Hkot and about ten other names i don't remember...

But it really depends on you.

Are you capable of fighting back?

Is he capable of reason?

Where not here to put people in catagories, although I admit some can be @sses sometimes.

I say leave it up to the Moderators to warn them, and as long as they follow the rules, its just an opinion after all.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
That just crazy with the ammount of people on ATS.
Can we change this to atleast 30?

It took me about two days to completely fill that list with the
Russian Georgian conflict.

While there are annoying bigots on this site.. and its hard not to want to block them and dislike them for their opinions..

With views like that, you are clearly one of the biggest here.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
10 is not nearly enough for all the reichwing, hannity's *SNIP* kissin', o'reilly sucking, fox watching *SNIP* that need bannin' from my sight on these here forums.

There, I've said my piece.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by alien]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I don't get it...

I've been here since 2004 and don't have a single member on "Ignore".

Me either.

If I don't like what the person is saying I just don't read the rest of their post.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonyAD
10 is not nearly enough for all the reichwing, hannity's ass kissin', o'reilly sucking, fox watching asshats that need bannin' from my sight on these here forums.

There, I've said my piece.

Fair enough, but do you not find alternative perspectives and the possibility of a decent argument one of the best things about this site?

I know some people are so far gone on their unbacked, bias, bigoted opinions but by blocking them, you could miss something gold that they post the other 70% of topics they post on.

Ah well, each to their own.

I bet im gonna be blocked now

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure I'm on somebody's ignore list. I have nobody on mine. If they say something cross about me I want to know

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I believe there should be no ignore button . people have just as much right to express their opinion as you do. just because your stuck up like a rich celeb doesnt mean that the people you dont like dont get any say

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pizzle11

Well thats just it...Ignore is only for the person utilising it.
So while the ignoree may be able to exercise their *right* to express their opinion, the ignorer can exercise their *right* not to be subjected to it...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I'm always late to threads.

Anyway, what mostly everyone here is saying is dead on true.

To be able to learn to read and cope with the opinions of others over taking the easy way of just hitting an ignore button shows personal growth and maturity.

I also feel that people take this internet business all too seriously from points to flags to ignoring to making friends to having the most comments and so on, really what does it all add up to? NOTHING! sure it would seem the people who have been here longer or who have more points are the more credible of people but the more I read threads the less that seems to ring true, I've seen a number of BS posts posted by people here much longer then me, I've seen hoax done but "respected" members.
Maybe it all gains you some respect of others or internet props and popularity but if that's one of your concerns and priorities in life consider yourself lucky that your able to worry about such trivial meaningless things.

It's the INTERNET, who cars who likes or dislikes you, why care to dislike someone else? No one is worth that energy but to just simply ignore every single person you disagree with is like being a child and giving someone the silent treatment, it's non productive and childish.

I agree that the option is at times good, for those people who seem to target certain types of threads and just bring negativity and nothing productive and just shoot down the opinions of others on a constant basis for their own ego and entertainment, and then trolls.
Which there aren't many of them considering how large this site it it's surprising how few there are, the Mods do their jobs very well here.
They deserve more credit then they get when you really think about what they do and the self control they have to exhibit. (thanks mods.).

But to not be able to just quickly ignore someone will teach you tolerance which so many people EVERYWHERE seem to lack.

We are here to share our opinions, to gain knowledge, to share our stories and have healthy debates.
Anyone who takes anything too seriously on the internet and lets it truly anger them in real life will probably end up dying of a heart attack or stroke way before their time.

We can learn something from almost everybody and anybody and once you start shutting people out you are robbing yourself and stunting your own intelligence and emotions.
You're doing a major dis justice to yourself by doing so.

Also, I never could understand why people make topics almost demanding new features, this is not your site and if you want a site catered to your own wants and needs, make your own.
Then see how easy or "simple" it is to add features and so forth.

The people who run this site, and others alike have a lot on their plate and are doing us a great justice by making places like this for us.
We need to be a little more grateful and little less "I want I want I want!".

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I agree with the OP - we need more ignore list space.

30 would be adequate for now.

We shouldn't have to be forced to choose between who to keep on the list and who to let off it.

....not that I have any of you fine folks on ignore or anything - or do I?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I had seven on ignore, accumulated since I signed up. I just took them all off ignore. If they post trolling garbage again they will be back on it.
But most of them got on my ignore list by being ignorant fools in the 9/11 forums.

And if I post a serious subject on some topic in Below Top Secret and 6-12 of us are having a discussion, that is going good and somebody comes in and makes an asinine statement, that disturbs the hole thread, they put themselves at the top of the list for ignore. That level of immaturity is not tolerated by me anymore.

Sometimes the MOD looks after it, other times, maybe not.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I will put people on ignore when they are continually disrespectful, never focus on or add to the original topic, and simply try to dominate other's into accepting their views in demeaning ways.

Then I realized I couldn't put everyone I wanted to on ignore because it wouldn't let me read what I posted!

So I took myself off ignore but left a few other select people on!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

The Ignore button is for only one thing: Down-right Wusses!!!

Geee......the concept that not everyone will lap-up your words must be most distressing. BOOOO-HOOOO

CX

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I'd orefer it it there was no ignore feature at all.

At first i thought it was a cool idea, an automatice cut off to those who you just cannot stand to read their bizzare thoughts.

However there were a few members who whilst on one subject, acted like complete arses, in others, they were very much making sense and contributed intelligent input.

What a shame to have missed that due to the ignore feature.

I think learning to ignore someone who gets on your nerves is an important skill in life, and in reality, you sometimes have to just deal with it. Out here we can't just flick a switch and get rid of people.

CX.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
There is a small problem, one of the reasons why people would like ignore list bigger.

When you see a topic for the first time and there are 20 pages of replies, you will just want to read "useful" replies. Even though these forums are very well moderated, there's just too many somewhat identical replies repeated over and over.

Example would be:

TOPIC: "Iran is planning an attack"

REPLIES:

I hate Israel (374 replies)
I hate Iran (374 replies)

And there would be, say, just 3 or 5 replies with really useful objective insight. Some of us would spend countless sentences to simply state one's subjective bias based on so called "historical facts" and not contribute to the current state of events.

Perhaps a star-filter would be of use, to filter out replies with no star. It could also motivate people to star more often

Oh and to help people who are reading these forums while not logged in - create an account and you will see people's avatars. So, if you are not interested in reading millions of replies by one person on any topic - you can easily distinguish them by avatars. This can help if you're simply fed up with pointless repetition of one same point.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by SassyCat]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Excuse if this has been suggested before, but what about a feature such as stars that can go either in a positive direction (like they do today) OR in a negative direction. In other words, if a reply gets a couple dozen negative ratings more than positive ones, it then becomes like invisible .. unless a reader overrides an option that lets them see all posts, even those that most think were worthless after their star ratings went -25. Or something like that.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I don’t think the ignore option should be used for ignoring people who just don’t agree with you or you don’t agree with.

But I do think it’s excellent for the people who just go on and on and on and on about the same thing during a thread, it’s very annoying. For that reason I have 2 people on my ignore list.... they haven’t annoyed me since.

I also put that “Anonymous ATS” on ignore as I thought that was the most pointless thing to come onto ATS.

Thank god it’s gone.... it is gone isn’t it? I haven’t seen them around.. hehehe.

Mikey

PS: I think the "De-Star" idea above is great.... it's annoying when you see something get loads of stars when you think it shouldnt, it would be nice to subtract a star also.

[edit on 13/6/2009 by Mikey84]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SassyCat you can easily distinguish them by avatars.

Only works if they don't change avatars, as many here do...

But there is a simpler way... Most threads all the good info that adds to the topic is presented in the first few pages. Also the good vs bad posters usually make themselves known in a few pages.

You can then just skim through the rest of the pages for replies that catch your attention, or for posts by people who's opinion you value, and simply skip the rest. No need to feed a troll (though we all have weak and bored moments
)

The other thing I use is the [thread] button under a poster... that way I can see all his/her posts without interference. Generally good posters will include a reply to link or a small quote so you can pick up from there

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join