It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Users limit ignore list?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Hey Majic you get cool points in my book, dont worry.
Im also adding you to my friends if thats ok

You are very well spoken.

But realize as a mod you cant ignore people you know?
You need to see posts to moderate =P

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If Only Justice Were Blind

Originally posted by Memysabu
But realize as a mod you cant ignore people you know?
You need to see posts to moderate =P

This is very true, and as a mod, I do not have the choice to ignore anyone.

I will not deny: at first I was HORRIFIED by this.

But over time, I have come to accept my role as an "arbiter".

I wish it would be easier to point out, but oh well: As a moderator, I am not here to judge your opinions.

That is not my purpose. Love them or hate them, my role is to ensure the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use are enforced.

They can be a bit dry, and if you pity me, I can understand.

But they are my sworn duty to uphold, and the duty of every member reading this to honor, because they are the terms by which we post on ATS.

Thus you may post something I personally disagree with. Well TOO FREAKIN' BAD!

It doesn't matter what I think. What matters is whether what you post has been posted within our rules.

If not, bye-bye post.

But if your post is legal, I am sworn to defend it, no matter my personal opinion, and defend it I shall.

That's what I do.

Period.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by Majic]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

I thought, after reading 'Majic's replies, that I would make this person, this .member. a "friend".

THEN I thought....hmmmmmm some would think I was sucking up to a Mod!

To any that think that? You are wrong.

So now I will go to include 'Majic' on my friends list. NOT because he/she is a Mod, but because he/she is a member first (who happens to BE a Mod) but has an opinion....and I respect that! AND, I happen to respect this member's opinions, when written as a member.....so therE!

(THIS MEANS, for Majic...I am now off-limits for any 'applause' from you....not that you've ever given me any, just trying to make a point).

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I understand the cost limitiations and coding of the ignore function that Springer brought up. Oh well looks like 10 is the limit for now anyway. I guess I just have to limit the ten to the worst of the bunch. Though I don't use the Foe function currently, what are the limits to it? The Foe function for me is for an "Honored Foe" someone who I disagree with, but isn't posting to solely get an emotional response. I like how the foe funcition puts the word foe over that persons post. I wish there were a function that did that, but not listed like freinds and foes in my profile. Call it a "complete idiot", "jackass", "troll", or whatever function that way I don't read the first few sentences of a short post then look at the avatar/name and think that idiot again.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I’m installing a plug-in because I find myself arguing with people that flat out lie to support their views. Or are here simply to troll and start flame wars. I found when I ignored them this board became a cool place where all that showed up was truth.

I don’t come here to get angry, and I don’t want to look like an ass when I post here. So Im doing it to stay calm. Some people just happen to be smarter than others, we were not born equal. No matter what they tell you in school. IQ proves that. Some people learn far quicker than others.

I will not be thrust upon dumb people to educate them, I am not talking about regular members. Time and time again someone has to mention someone in their thread that posted on a previous thread with propaganda. These people need permanent places on my ignore list.

I don’t need to read some crap someone made up and we find time and time again that these people are a broken record. They continually spread mis info and there is way more than ten of them.

I also, as another poster stated, don’t want to see a buncha religious stuff either. No offense. But you guys have your preachers on this site that pop in thread after thread preaching to people when the thread had absolutely nothing to do with religion.

There are over 100 people 'at minimum' that flame on posts, that’s enough reason right there to up the limit. ATS needs to handle this itself, otherwise people will use plug-ins that will ignore mods.

To me mods need to be able to enforce rules, if you can’t see their posts or IM's its counter productive.

I have a ton of experience from other boards predating ATS, they have already been over this issue. Money was never brought up, I cant even believe someone suggested it would cost money to ignore. I seriously laughed for 30 minutes at that suggestion.

Fact is, I own my computer. I control what shows up on the screen, or should be able to. I know this is an internet message board but even in that essence you are removing the right for me to control my computer. Maybe I shouldn’t type the address into the browser you think? I prefer to tolerate though. I am not stupid.

But I refuse to tolerate ignorance. I grew up in ignorance. fought, gnawed and nailed my way out of the pit of the ignorant. I grew up around retarded hillbilly’s that would tell me crap like "if you eat pop rocks and drink coke you’ll explode".

I will never ever return to that, and I have absolutely no tolerance for ignorant people stating their opinion as fact. Or trying to teach ignorance. This is one topic I frankly feel ATS is ignorant on.

I feel ATS is doing this for other reasons besides what was stated.

I do not have to socialize with anyone that I do not wish to socialize with.
And some of the people who flamed me on the very first page are some of the trolls who need to be on perma ignore. Those trolls, made my point for me. Long before any of you even replied.

End of story.

I’m installing the plug-in. Anyone who wants it send me a private message. Ill send you the link.

I am frankly disappointed in ATS, but I know installing this and using it will make this place fun again for me.

Thank you Majic, I have the utmost respect for your opinion now.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix1111
When you see a Jehovah Witness at the door on a Saturday morning for the upteenth time, do you answer the door? Or when you see that the homeless guy you just gave money to get into his BMW, do you give him money the next time you see him?

Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing again and again, but expecting a different outcome.

OMG we are so on the same page, I use the insanity quote over and over.
You sir are going on my friends list!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by euclid
Posts like this are why we need more than a limit of 10 in the Ignore list:

Such drivel.....

*snip*

-Euclid

Mod Edit: Url to thread removed - you're more than welcome to post your feedback into the specific thread in question.

Cheers,
ALIEN

[edit on 20-8-2008 by alien]

Exactly my problem with ATS. this is stupid. Youre removing a comment because somone is using it for reference? Im sorry but this is a direct attack on this users statement. Why is ATS pushing this?

I dont get it, this guys using a thread to show his point and you remove it?
Wow just straight out mis info. Is ATS here for mis info?
I am becoming confused as to ATS and its mission.
Its starting to seem like its to spread ignorance.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I have been insulted many times but in my entire time here, I've never had to use the ignore feature. I do use the ALERT feature. I often quick scan posts and even skip over post where two or more members are engaging in a pissing contest. I have a short attention span, so if the BS meter goes too high I may leave a thread forever.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
[Snip]

reply to post by nexusmagazine

Going on my friends list, a well thought out post.
You have obviously had the same problems as me.
Thank you so much for your post.

Mod Edit: Large quote removed, Reply to function used. Please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 21/8/08 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Major Discrepancy
The Major can't imagine anyone ignoring the pearls of wisdom that the Major is so gracious to provide. Unless the ignorer is blessed with swine like cognitive abilities, then said ignore is appropriate. The Major shall continue to cast for the benefit and edification of ATS's membership .

Dismissed.

Major sir,

Even if you did not agree with me, you are one I would never ignore.
Character is few and far between. You are a man who is very smart.
Going on my friends list sir.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
Used my ignore for the first time here lately. I had the person on my foe list, but the foe list implies that I respect them so I had to show my ultimate form of disdain available and simply no longer have their posts blight my computer screen when I'm logged in. If by some chance I should be made aware of a meaningful contribution by this member I can simply log out and read thier post.

Most of the people I have wanted to ignore in the past have been unable to abide by the T&Cs and eventually were banned anyway.

Manson_322 is the first to have the honored spot on my ignore list. That poster adds little to any discussion he is in except for inflammatory, rabid anti-american rhetoric, and in my opinion is simply a troll that can somehow abide within the T&Cs.

I'm also considering ignoring those who continuously post links to David Booth (ie Sorcha Faal) drivel in breaking. Such lack of discernment detracts from the overall quality of the board and I can't really respect other opinions of that poster because of that lack in discernemnt.

Im sorry but point made, a respected foe isnt someone spreading ignorance. Im not puting ignorant people on my respected foe list.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
So Im done now, I reported 4 to 5 mods plus 1 site owner as causing problems on this thread. And editing due to their own views.

I know nothing will ever happen to these people but this is my point.
These people will also be added to my plugins ignore list.

Handle this ATS and leave your views at home please.
You are letting me down.

Done with this thread.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I posted this in another thread, however its valid here.

Putting people on ignore, solely because they don't conform to your views, is an admission of defeat, surely? It shows that instead of coming here to discuss the object of posting was to dictate. Thats not open mindedness, thats closed thinking.

If everyone did that, all the time, no one would learn anything.

Are educated and well versed people really so polarised in their thinking that they simply cannot stand to see an opposing viewpoint?

Whats the point of being on a discussion and debate forum if all you want is to be patted on the back by like minded people and not bother to see an opposing point of view?

Fact is, that if you put someone on permanent ignore you might miss something you never considered, or something fundamentally important because everyone - and I do mean everyone - has something worthwhile to contribute to every discussion at some point in their life.

It takes all kinds of folks to make up a board of this size. You have to roll with the punches and let things flow. The person you advocate to be a "moron" might turn out to genuinely be the one who video's blow the lid off a government scandal, or forces disclosure on the UFO subject.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

ATS is a private messageboard and not a mandatory public service.

Just because it ranks amongst the best run sites on the internet - if not being THE best run site on the 'net - does not mean that anyone has a "right" to demand anything from the owners or the staff.

You have no idea how much time the owners put into this site, or what goes on behind the scenes to keep it running, so please, drop the D-Ego and the 'tude, and realise that what you get here is provided off the back of people who care about trying to make this place the best they can for its members, and also by the members themselves who are amongst the best informed people on the 'net, and provide some of the most interesting and diverse conversation bases you will find.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation for why the limit is ten.

peace

Duncan

Mod Edit: Large quote removed, reply To function used. Please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 21/8/08 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

[Snip] . You can ban me, cuss me or whatever you want.
I currently have a 4.0 and I teach computer classes in college.
I know dbases like the back of my hand. Ignore takes no more than friend or foe in your dbase. Why did you even post that lie on this thread? Im thinking you didn’t expect anyone who knew anything to post. That’s the biggest load of crap Ive ever heard in my life.

Friend or foe takes the exact same dbase load as ignore, if not more because there are two variables. You even admitted on threads that you didn’t know what you were doing in certain cases. Im starting to feel most people on this site lie.

I come here for breaking news and that’s it. Im glad that’s all I do because Im starting to see that the staff even lie. Excluding people such as Majic of course.

Please stop posting BS Springer, you seriously just ruined any interest I had in this site.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Memysabu]

Mod Edit: Large quote removed, reply To function used. To understand this please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you. Also personal comment removed. Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 2) Behaviour and remember Courtesy Is Mandatory Thank you - Jak

[edit on 21/8/08 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I don't get it...

I've been here since 2004 and don't have a single member on "Ignore".

Do you really want to miss half the conversation just becaus you don't agree with their views on a particular situation ?

I hear you AD, I also have been here along time.

I have never used the ignore button.

The way I see it, you have to get along with people regardless of their opinions. This guy really need to wake up and post better, or perhaps be kinder in his reply's.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I currently have a 4.0 and I teach computer classes in college.

congrats. that's great news. I'm sure your parents are proud. I'll quote a good friend here:
"the A students work for the B students, the C students run the companies, and the D students dedicate the buildings."

All I'm saying is, what you do in college, while commendable, doesn't mean much once you enter the work force.

I know dbases like the back of my hand.

do you know dbates ?

I come here for breaking news and that’s it. Im glad that’s all I do because Im starting to see that the staff even lie. Excluding people such as Majic of course..

the staff doesn't lie so please don't accuse of this. The staff is the hardest working slave labor around. 60 or so staffers do what they do for the community. There is no paycheck. There is no annual retreat. There is, however, tons of criticism and name calling. Seldom do we get a thank you (no, I'm not asking for it).

Please stop posting BS Springer....

I do think you need to remember that all the staff and admins and owners are also members here and deserve the same respect you would expect to receive. Normally, when a member calls out another member in the manner you did, there would be, at the very least, a warning. The fact that you called out one of the owners of the site, in a manner such as this, leads me to believe you are not interested in making your stay here a long and pleasant one. Perhaps a step back to cool down and think about the anger and accusations you are showing over a website is in order. Truth is, if Springer decided to remove the ignore feature, add more ignores, turn your text pink or anything else he so desires, he can do that because this is his site. Something to think about.

One last thing, and this is something I lived by before I became a staff member. Ignoring a member doesn't make their comments go away, it only blinds you from it. There were many times where I considered ignoring someone who was constantly posting hate in threads I was involved in. It drove me nuts but then I realized, if I ignored them, I wouldn't have the opportunity to show the other members how wrong this person was. If we can't see ignorance, we can't combat it. If we can't see hate or stupidity being spread, how can we expect to stem the tide?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by nexusmagazine

I think people like myself who want a bigger Ignore list capability, are not so much bothered by people who violate the T&Cs - but basically want to screen out those repeat posters, who say the same thing over and over and over and over and over.

Good point. Yes, and usually those same people follow you from thread to thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join