It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Users limit ignore list?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I just want to put in my one cent seeings as i don't have two cents but anyway, First i would like to thank The Mods and the Owners for doing a great Job of keeping this site going it is very hard work to do anything like this i know i tried.
Secondly ignore is just a way of saying to yourself this person has nothing to say because... well sometimes those people who in your opinion have nothing to say are trying to get an important message out there and no one will listen because they are crackpots or loonies. But we have a great site here and everyones opinion should and does count. I will try to deny ignorance wherever i go but sometimes you see something or hear something that offends your whole being and refuse ultimately to believe it so is the best way to deal with that to ignore it isn't that in itself denying yourself to expound and expand your knowledge?
Thanks for listening
Cheers
Chimpy

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
When you see a Jehovah Witness at the door on a Saturday morning for the upteenth time, do you answer the door? Or when you see that the homeless guy you just gave money to get into his BMW, do you give him money the next time you see him?

Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing again and again, but expecting a different outcome.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Nope... I disagree with everyone who said we don't need more Ignore slots.

I'm on the verge of going medieval in a couple of threads because of the knotheads involved.

We need at least 100 Ignores.... please someone implement this ASAP.....

-Euclid

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Posts like this are why we need more than a limit of 10 in the Ignore list:

Such drivel.....

*snip*

-Euclid

Mod Edit: Url to thread removed - you're more than welcome to post your feedback into the specific thread in question.

Cheers,
ALIEN

[edit on 20-8-2008 by alien]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I don't believe in putting anyone on ignore. No matter how much you find someone distasteful, everyone has a right to be heard. If you don't like what someone has written, simply move onto the next post.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by kindred]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
I don't believe in putting anyone on ignore. No matter how much you find someone distasteful, everyone has a right to be heard. If you don't like what someone has written, simply move onto the next post.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by kindred]

Hmm, I don't agree with the statement that everyone has the right to be heard.

Everyone has the right to express themselves - yes - but people also have the right to decide if they want to receive that expression, or not.

You obviously have lots of time on your hands - that's nice.

But for those of us who do not wish to waste our time being told the same thing by the same poster about 50 times per thread - Ignore is the filter of choice.

I would pay money for the privilege of 100 ignores - that is how much time it would save me on ATS. In fact, if the quality of posting doesn't improve past the 'listen to me' stage, I will simply not have the time to spend on ATS at all at the rate it is going.

peace

Duncan

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nexusmagazine

If you know the people who you would put on this list, when you see their name, just move your eyes down to the next post without actually reading the offending post. Try it. Just move your eyes past the post you wish to ignore.

It works great for me. No one is making you read.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

everyone has a right to be heard

I thought everyone had the right to speak. If they have said the same thing in their last three posts, they can keep speaking, but I don't have to listen to it again.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The people I have on iggy are the zealots of religion and Obamanoia. I usally stay away from the religious, 2012, Obama or DEM, and the ridiculous prophecy threads. If I was forced to read that I would need way more than ten ignores. I used to avoid global warming climate threads because of "knotheads", as one member put it, but their rest is over for my mission is clear. We should have a conspiracy related number of ignores like 3, 8, 13, 21, 23, 32, 33, 66, etc.

Maybe 13 sir, if you could spare it?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
heres my thoughts on the Ignore feature,

If someone is obviously trolling or being a nuisance then they should be ignored. The general rule I say is, if they are violating the T&C of the site, then I don't need to see it.

More often than not the people I ignore end up being banned.

If someone is here that I don't agree with thats another thing. They have every right to post what they think as long as it's within the rules here. I can either respond to them or chose not to. But in this case I don't feel that ignoring what they say is denying ignorance.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

If you know the people who you would put on this list, when you see their name, just move your eyes down to the next post without actually reading the offending post. Try it. Just move your eyes past the post you wish to ignore.

It works great for me. No one is making you read.

Very clever - but I already do this.

A problem arises however, because I cannot be bothered to remember more than a dozen names of people I want to ignore. Even having to remember their names is contradictory to what I want to achieve. I just want to screen about 30 or so people off my screen forever - if possible.

Duncan

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
The people I have on iggy are the zealots of religion and Obamanoia. I usally stay away from the religious, 2012, Obama or DEM, and the ridiculous prophecy threads. If I was forced to read that I would need way more than ten ignores. I used to avoid global warming climate threads because of "knotheads", as one member put it, but their rest is over for my mission is clear. We should have a conspiracy related number of ignores like 3, 8, 13, 21, 23, 32, 33, 66, etc.

Maybe 13 sir, if you could spare it?

Cute.

Please do us all a favour, and correct the spelling of Dr Carol Rosin's name in your signature. I have been supporting her efforts for nearly 10 years through my publication and through events I organise. Kudos to you for appreciating her fine work also!!!

Duncan

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by euclid
I'm on the verge of going medieval in a couple of threads because of the knotheads involved.

King of Knotheads I pressume?

hehe one could build a great 'ignore' list from this thread

I just don't get why you would persist... its not like your going to change anyones mind you know. My kids grew out of their "I want it my way" temper tantrum phase at 3

:shk:

Adults usually can exercise restraint... that is why we have all the war mongering going on...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
heres my thoughts on the Ignore feature,

If someone is obviously trolling or being a nuisance then they should be ignored. The general rule I say is, if they are violating the T&C of the site, then I don't need to see it.

More often than not the people I ignore end up being banned.

If someone is here that I don't agree with thats another thing. They have every right to post what they think as long as it's within the rules here. I can either respond to them or chose not to. But in this case I don't feel that ignoring what they say is denying ignorance.

I think people like myself who want a bigger Ignore list capability, are not so much bothered by people who violate the T&Cs - but basically want to screen out those repeat posters, who say the same thing over and over and over and over and over.

A couple of examples may help - for those who have way too much time on their hands:

- the Dan Tanna alien attack thread - there were scores and scores of people who contributed absolutely NOTHING except hatred, anger and rudeness. The thread went on for so many pages it wasn't funny, and still goes on. Having the ability to ignore about 50 people would have made the thread much more rational and enjoyable for people like me.

- ditto with the "lets ridicule Dr Steven Greer" threads (about 4 or 5 em that I have seen). For some reason this really inflames everyone, even super moderators and site owners are not capable of maintaining neutrality on this topic. It seems to all ATS honchos, Greer is up there with Hitler in terms of vitriol and hatred. I would have put about 20 people on ignore on one thread alone. Why? Because I have had dealings with Greer, his organisation, his peers, his witnesses etc for over 10 years. Had ANY of Greer's detractors (who by this stage were alleging Greer is gay, Greer embezzled from his organisation, or generally that Greer is an evil hoaxing predator) had any contact with Greer or his colleagues to get REAL information, or even evidence of such claims? - well that is why I was visiting the lists. The last thing I wanted, is to be supporting a guy who has turned evil - so I looked for the evidence on ATS lists about Greer. (Needless to say, there was NO evidence of Greer's evilness anywhere, just hundreds of pages of nasty school-yard insults, gossip, and the usual uninformed opinons). An enhanced Ignore function would have made my life much nicer.

- I posted a prediction thread some months ago, on behalf of a friend of mine. I expected to post it, and that would be it. The prediction would either happen or not. Imagine my surprise after dealing with pages of insults and accusations of hoaxing. I filled my Ignore list very quickly after realising that most of the active insulters had nothing to contribute except for accusations and rudeness.

Given the sizeable increase in ATS participants, I think it is high time for the ignore list size to be increased. It has reached the stage where it is nearly impossible to find the time to read all the posts on all the threads of interest - and then realise that 85% of the posts on the threads are of no value whatsoever - (in my PERSONAL opinion that is)

Duncan

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Why? Just hit the alert button and a moderator will be made aware and if it is truly a troll or a trouble maker you will see those banners appear and they either wise up move on or get banned

Mods can't be everywhere... just drop them a note

but not just because someone doesn't agree with you

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Yeah, What Zorgon Said

I say this a lot of different ways, but never seem to find enough ways to say it.

If a post violates the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use, then it has no business appearing in our forums. Period.

But if a post does not violate the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use, then it has just as much a right to be here as anything else, and as a moderator, that's the standard I live by.

Bottom line: If it breaks the rules, tell us, but if it doesn't, then IT is not the problem.

Just sayin.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Duncan...

Your mad exaggeration skills not withstanding
, there is a practical reason the ignore list is limited. The database that is ATS is huge, I mean really huge. The queries required every time you call up a thread are greatly increased with each "ignored" user name you have on your list.

The software must review every post in the thread and compare it to the names in your ignore list and then remove those posts from your "version" of the thread. Now multiply that by a few hundred people all surfing the site at the exact, same second and you'll see why we have to limit the ignore list.

We already have the most powerful machines available for lease as data base servers through a hosted service. The next move for us is to a "co-location" set up which means we have to buy the hardware (load balanced server clusters), a "direct to the backbone" connection and hire on site staff to make sure we are always up and running and do the maintenance, late night/emergency repairs, etc...

We are looking at $50,000.00 + or - for this upgrade when it's all said and done. That's a HECK OF ALLOT of $0.30/1000 eCPM ads!

While I am sure being a busy guy makes it very difficult for you to avoid the posts you don't want to read, all I can say at this point is we are working our tails off to improve that for you, but, I am pretty sure that even after we upgrade it won't be much better unless someone reinvents the basic architecture of the common data base.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

We are looking at $50,000.00 + or - for this upgrade when it's all said and done. That's a HECK OF ALLOT of $0.30/1000 eCPM ads!

STOP BRAGGING

Seriously though - i do understand the technical aspects of not having an extended ignore list...its still a nice thought to think of though

"if only"

I guess that could be another "perk" to a "paid" membership option......

keep the free memberships exactly the way they are - they are great ... they really are...

I'd gladly pay $7.99 a month to have...say...100 ignores and 0 advertisements

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
*Im editing this post and replacing it, Im doing exactly what I told you guys. Flaming in response to flames.*

Gah I didnt even need to make the case, the first few flames made it for me.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Dear Fellow Member

What you choose to look at and what you choose to overlook is yours alone to decide.

As a fellow member of ATS, I respect and salute your right to decide what you want to see.

That said, as a moderator, I pray you will nonetheless opt to let us know if you spot any violations of the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use.

What you choose to do on ATS is yours to decide and yours alone.

But if you can find it in your heart to help us do what's right, I'm confident we can make it worth your while.

Just sayin.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join