It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Users limit ignore list?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix1111

Matrix.....member - to - member.....moderators are members too.

They put on the Mod hat, then take it off, when not moderating.

I feel their pain.....and I know how hard it is to sit on your hands, sometimes....but I use my old experience as a Flight Instructor, all those long years ago....

I knew when to step in, and take over....based on my greater level of experience. I also knew when to let the student learn from a mistake....

This is what I believe to be a pattern here. Hope this makes sense.....

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Yes actually I would because the people I want on my ignore list are comprised of the cream of the crop of knotheads: the skeptic and debunkers that dismiss things out of hand, the religious & new age fanatics. Sometime I post in response to the likes of these knotheads and I get docked points because supposedly "I'm being inappropriate" but these same posters can post drivel and heckle posts with impunity.... I want to block them so I don't see their useless drivel & GET PENALIZED FOR MOCKING THEM.

Please, at least increase the limit to something useful like 500.

-Euclid

[edit on 18-8-2008 by euclid]

[edit on 18-8-2008 by euclid]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Ignore Denyance

Originally posted by Memysabu
I feel the 10 user limit is counter productive.
I dont want to install a plugin to handle this for me.
I really believe this should be a function everyone can use on these boards. Do you want people reading misinformation?
I dont get it.

Dear fellow member,

A few years ago, I complained about this very thing. A ten-member limit on the ignore feature seemed absolutely draconian and utterly inadequate to me then. :shk:

And as well-meaning as they may be, I imagine you're probably not all that impressed by the barrage of posts by other members who are suggesting you "deal with it" in various ways.

Rest assured: I understand where you're coming from, because I've been there myself.

And rest assured: I was rather picky about who I would ignore. I reserved that "honor" for only the most odious of trolls.

Why only ten ignores per account? I know not. It remains a mystery to me.

However -- and please forgive me if I should stray into improper territory here, because how you enjoy ATS is entirely up to you to decide -- I have found that with time, my need for the ignore list has diminished.

I think of it as a form of "training wheels", and I humbly ask that you hear me out on this.

The Posts That Dare Not Speak Their Name

Some posts are simply unacceptable, and are not to be tolerated. The sole measure of what those are on ATS can be found in the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use.

They are the rules we live by.

If you should happen upon any post which violates these rules, I ask that you resist the temptation to hit the "Ignore" button and instead hit the "ALERT" button.

If someone is breaking our rules, please let us know!

But if a post inspires you to want to hit a button and it does not break our rules, I ask -- as a fellow member of ATS, not as a moderator -- that you wait a moment, and give thought to what offends you.

If the post doesn't violate the rules, then what is it that bothers you?

If you consider that member's point of view to be insufferable, that's okay -- and understandable. It turns out good people can disagree on a wide range of issues without being evil.

Thus you may encounter many opinions that offend you, but that do not in themselves violate the rules for posting on ATS.

What you decide to do when you encounter such posts is up to you, and rightly so.

But if you can find it in your heart to stay your hand and read what others have to say, even if it makes you uncomfortable at first, I am confident that in the end you will come to see the wisdom of our ways -- and less of a need for the ignore list.

Hey, it's worth a shot!

Just sayin'.

[edit on 8/18/2008 by Majic]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Some of you guys completely miss a very good opportunity for enjoyment. There's no pleasure to be had in ignoring something you aren't even aware of.

You gotta read the posts, THEN ignore 'em.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix1111
I don't see the reason for a limit. Does it tax the system? Why limit options? Some people like to indulge in vices and some people like to limit their intake. And some people recognize their weakness -- and the weaknesses of others. Should any of us be penalized for this?

Anyway, does ATS represent repression or freedom of choice. Is ATS a 31 flavor kind of place or just a vanilla/chocolate flavor kind of place?

And another issue. Personally I don't see the point of having moderators that also post their personal viewpoints. It's an unfair check-and-balance, especially if they can't be put on ignore. Moderators should have standardized pre-worded responses for each violation and be limited to posting that pre-worded statement only. If a moderator wants to get into the fray with moralizing or general criticisms, then they should have to use a personal accout.

After seeing some outrageous bias by some moderators, I have to agree with you on this one. Their opinions should be posted through their personal accounts in my opinion.

Generally speaking though, the moderators do a good job.

Duncan

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Some of you guys completely miss a very good opportunity for enjoyment. There's no pleasure to be had in ignoring something you aren't even aware of.

You gotta read the posts, THEN ignore 'em.

With respect, this is just plain silly, and flys in the face of what several people have tried to say on this thread.

I'll give you an example: That DanTanna thread, where he claimed to have attacked an intruding ET in his house.

There were about 20 people on that thread that posted nothing but scorn, derision, one-line comments, and skeptical opinions. Putting them on ignore after reading their first few posts would have reduced the page count of the thread by more than half.

Ditto for other large threads such as debates on Dr Steven Greer (in which I have seen the most outrageous bias from some moderators, super moderators and site owners!!!!)

Please give some of us the credit to be smart enough to know who and why we want to ignore people on some threads.

I found that I want to ignore MORE people over time, not less. After working out where some regulars 'are at' - it is obvious whether I want to read their comments or not.

I happen to be a person with limited time on ATS, so for me Ignore acts as a filter for useless comments and for people who have nothing to contribute other than uninformed opinions.

I would put a request directly to the head honchos, but I fear I am on their ignore list these days for not bowing down to them on every issue they think is right.

Duncan

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Personal Effects

Originally posted by nexusmagazine
After seeing some outrageous bias by some moderators, I have to agree with you on this one. Their opinions should be posted through their personal accounts in my opinion.

Though you may not believe it -- and I can totally understand if you don't -- the ATS staff takes a very dim view of anyone who uses a staff position to advance a personal agenda.

This may not be obvious because we don't tend to make a big deal of it (publicly), but as a fairly longstanding member of the staff I can assure you that every case of staff misconduct I have been a witness to has resulted in an appropriate outcome.

The Cosmic community has many members, and every one of us is actively encouraged to bring our highest ethics to the job.

A mod who abuses any member abuses all members, and is not accepted in our ranks.

When you see staff misconduct, please report it!

It is entirely understandable that on a "conspiracy site" there will be distrust of the staff.

Personally, I think that's healthy and I encourage all members to keep an eye on us. If you see something wrong, please TELL US!

We as staff members do our best, but it is ultimately the partnership between members and staff that we must rely on to ensure success.

As always, just sayin'

[edit on 8/18/2008 by Majic]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Absolutely positively well-said, both times, Majic.

Anyone who doesn't get it by now, likely never will.

I'm just about to hit my own one-year anniversary, here on ATS. It's been a long and winding road....especially because in some ways I still consider myself a newbie....because I lack certain computer skills.

I've reached 20,000 points....not that I intend to 'buy' anything....used to 'buy' extra U2U space, but thanks to SO don't need to anymore....maybe I can get a ballcap and T-shirt???

I'm just happy that my ATS point count nearly matches my hours as a pilot....getting close!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

I like the ignore list. It cuts down on some of the damage the cyber stalkers cause ,and there are just some people who will never agree with each other. Catholic monks and masons will never mix. Factor in people who seem to have been raised by wolves, the ignore list really should have more than ten slots.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
cyber stalkers?

wtf is this how to catch a predator?

I'd have to say using the ignore function ranks pretty damn high on douchebaggery.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by Lysergic]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I just checked the 'ATS Store'.....did I miss something?

What, no ball caps or T-Shirts??? I want one....or both.....pretty please????

Thanks.....

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

You need to try here.

You can find the link up at the very top. It's listed as "Gear".

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Oh cool!!! I'm going shopping!!!

Thanks....

EDIT....done....a black cap and a black T-Shirt....

yeahright, thanks....and Steve McQueen rocks!

[edit on 8/18/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
cyber stalkers?

Do a search on it.

wtf is this how to catch a predator?

There are cases where people chase down obnoxious posters but that seems boring unless laws are broken.

I'd have to say using the ignore function ranks pretty damn high on douchebaggery.

Everything has a purpose. Somethings are to be ignored. Food that is safe for you may cause someone else to keel over and die. Some people should just ignore each other.

You seem male to me. Women and children are usually are targeted by stupid pig men and stupid pig women.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by eradown]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

I ain't touchin' this one, with a ten foot pole....will let the Mods handle it!!

I'm busy searchin' for a car....got my eye on a 1998 Eldorado, with too many miles, or a 1999 convertible Corvette....with too many miles....but the prices are right....

they're both purrrrttty!!! AND, they're both red...!!!!! Yum!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I find the ones that really get my goat are the ones that get banned.

Yup you are right I have noticed that too...

But there is something else... once you take them off ban THEY don't know you can see them again.. so they will usually just leave you alone... unless you feel that urge...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Isn't the motto of this site "Deny ignorance"?

Well see "Deny ignorance" to many means "Deny everything I don't agree with because they are all ignorant"

These people will gladly debate with ANYONE that agrees with them..

Ignore button means you miss out being able to make witty but friendly comments and watch them turn red and explode..

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Maybe I can beat some sense into them ey?

That's the spirit
And there are many tools to do that with and get a laugh at the expense of the miserable troll..

"What do you MEAN you only see rocks??" :bash:

[edit on 19-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon!!! This may be off-toic, but you just made me spit up my beverage, it was so funny!!!!

Now, I'm going for the Windex, and the Q-Tips....to clean the keyboard....see ya!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Well, can I at least buy more "ignore" points at the ATS store? I think that would be fair.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join