It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Users limit ignore list?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
That just crazy with the ammount of people on ATS.
Can we change this to atleast 30?

It took me about two days to completely fill that list with the
Russian Georgian conflict.

And believe me I want to add a lot more. Now that I can
see the true side of people. The ignore list makes this site
way way better. And there arent arguments on the boards
if someone can just ignore the person.

I feel the 10 user limit is counter productive.
I dont want to install a plugin to handle this for me.
I really believe this should be a function everyone can use on these boards. Do you want people reading misinformation?
I dont get it.

Maybe someone is hinting something to you. Of course it's your right to ignore someone after one dissenting post, but seriously, how will you ever learn to be tolerant if you ignore everyone who ever disagreees with you.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Major Discrepancy

The Major shall continue to cast for the benefit and edification of ATS's membership .

Dismissed.

I salute you Sir.

Moral improvement and guidance are an important part of what makes ATS/BTS a thriving community. The best we can do in an open forum like this is to welcome the new recruits, run them through a little basic training, and hope to Hell they can survive on the battlefield.

PFC

Edit: I edit.......

[edit on 17/8/08 by My Sock Puppet]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I would imagine there are those who use ignores more like a filter on some topic threads. What I wonder about is how many people will have a member on ignore before the site notices. I would also imagine certain administrative members use their own filter system for many members.

I just found out a day or so ago the limit myself. Time to refresh.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018

I would also imagine certain administrative members use their own filter system for many members.

I would doubt this.

The Mods and Admin are responsible for the entire boards. They can ban a member, put a member on post ban, block an I.P., but what do you expect ???

This a forum for the free exchange of ideas and information.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It's not even a disagree or view thing in my opinion. There have been people who go out of their way to ridicule or disrepect others. I have gotten much better at not getting into slap fights but some days I have a shorter fuse than others. Something I have been working on for the last 11 months.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

If it's a very long thread and there is a poster that repeatedly says the same thing over and over again, I use ignore. They have to be repetitive three times for me to do this. Like it or not, I want to know what people have to say, but after three times, I get it.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I find putting someone on IGNORE a bit ridiculous.

There are quite a few people here who I 99% of the time dont agree with.

However, it has happened more then a few times that those very people will post an excellent response to something that I actually agree with and even learn from.

I you dont like certain people....then when you see their name - skip over it.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Nobody on my ignore list either.... even if someone personally flamed me 5 times in one day, I don't think I would put them on ignore. It just makes you that much weaker of a person if you have to have the site forcibly remove a certain person's posts from your view.

Feeling offended?
Someone piss you off?
Welcome to the internetz.

Edit: However, I do put people on my Foes list if I see them consistently spamming/flaming/trolling, or if they repeatedly annoy me.

[edit on 8/17/2008 by Yarcofin]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Yarcofin

Yarcofin makes an excellent point.

If you put a member on your "Foe List" there's a red header above their name on every post they make so only you can see it.

You could just not read those red labeled posts, but you would know they were there.

You can put as many members as you want on the "Foe" list.

(just so I don't end up on you're bad side I'll add you as a "Friend"...)

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I dotn remember if I have anyone on my ignore list. I may have a long time ago, because a certain person was always adament about simply insulting a particlar race/creed/culture in nearly every single thread they posted, even if it was an unrelated topic. Somehow they would find a way to work in the slur. I just got tired of reading the same crap over and over again.

But I see the person posting now and they seem to have calmed down in their rhetoric.

I am just curious if there is still others on it and how I can take them off?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
There are many with the very same points of view , ones that watch fox news and believe it. That's the problem with mass indoctrination, you get a narrow distribution of creative or individual thought with the majority merely echoing and adhering to the tenets and doctrines presented to them on the tv.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Nevermind I found it in the membercenter. I have nobody on my ignore list. Well thats good. Sometimes I forget there evn is an ignore list, but for some reason almost nothing anyone ever says offends me to that point. I would much rather fight a person personally than to ignore them.

Maybe I can beat some sense into them ey?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
"Modifying user Behavior" is the usual talking point when something is too much trouble to change. People have been asking for this for years and it never happens you just get ridiculed for "not being able to take it" or some such so I stopped asking(and as a result don't come around here as much anymore, you guys don't want my Advertising click it seems
). Sorrrrry if I find trolls repugnant. Not all trolls get banned either, the smartones know when to stop and avoid crossing that line. Still irritating as hell.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
With further thought and replies from ATSr's I deleted from ignore except two. I didn't bother to see if they have been banned yet. Still think it is a useful function.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by nexusmagazine

The only problem with that is that you are assuming what someone is going to say before they do. You WILL miss something that way. Unless they are a complete troll.

It soon becomes apparent who has informed opinions and who doesn't - and that is when I want to put people on ignore. It makes soooo many less pages to wade through. If I miss out because of my own misjudgement of someone's posts - well, that's life.

Duncan

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Used my ignore for the first time here lately. I had the person on my foe list, but the foe list implies that I respect them so I had to show my ultimate form of disdain available and simply no longer have their posts blight my computer screen when I'm logged in. If by some chance I should be made aware of a meaningful contribution by this member I can simply log out and read thier post.

Most of the people I have wanted to ignore in the past have been unable to abide by the T&Cs and eventually were banned anyway.

Manson_322 is the first to have the honored spot on my ignore list. That poster adds little to any discussion he is in except for inflammatory, rabid anti-american rhetoric, and in my opinion is simply a troll that can somehow abide within the T&Cs.

I'm also considering ignoring those who continuously post links to David Booth (ie Sorcha Faal) drivel in breaking. Such lack of discernment detracts from the overall quality of the board and I can't really respect other opinions of that poster because of that lack in discernemnt.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Aislin

You know that you can help mods monitor thread? when you find a post that is against the site TOs you hit the alert button and have a mod take a look at it.

If the post merits to be erased due to the content, it will be deal with by the mods of the forum.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I have 1 "person" on my ignore list: Annonymous ATS. That's it. I did this partly out of protest of annonymous posting even being here, partly from the knowledge that responding to annonymous posts is mostly fruitless as they either never return to see what was posted to them and if someone annonymous does respond, there's no way to know it's the same person, and partly because I figure if a person's opinion isn't important enough to them to attach a unique identity to it, why should it be important enough for me to take the time to read it? Aside from that, I haven't used the ignore feature nor do I intend to. I have my own "ignore" function which mostly consists of avoid areas like the Skunk works and the 9/11 conspiracy forum because the ridiculous amount of ignorance and fear mongering contained within is just begging for the type of response from me which would get me banned.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

I am siding with anxietydisorder....isn't the 'ignore' button meant to weed out trolls? Or do I miss the intent?

Less than a year here....I've never used it....been threatened with it by others, and I say (to myself) 'Poof!' Who cares? That is 'denying ignorance' if someone who you disagree with is 'ignored'....seems petty, to me.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I don't see the reason for a limit. Does it tax the system? Why limit options? Some people like to indulge in vices and some people like to limit their intake. And some people recognize their weakness -- and the weaknesses of others. Should any of us be penalized for this?

Anyway, does ATS represent repression or freedom of choice. Is ATS a 31 flavor kind of place or just a vanilla/chocolate flavor kind of place?

And another issue. Personally I don't see the point of having moderators that also post their personal viewpoints. It's an unfair check-and-balance, especially if they can't be put on ignore. Moderators should have standardized pre-worded responses for each violation and be limited to posting that pre-worded statement only. If a moderator wants to get into the fray with moralizing or general criticisms, then they should have to use a personal accout.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join