It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should We Let Iran Have Nukes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Some argue that in the cold war years MAD worked, Iran may want nukes to offset Israeli nukes. Would this be the best way to go, would it make the region actually more stable.

If everyone knows that you will loose out in a nuke conflict dose that not give a level playing field. Its only when you see your potential opponents as weak that you would consider attacking them. At the moment in the ME we have an imbalance, Israel armed with Hundreds of nukes and ME nations that feel threatened by them which to me makes the whole area unstable.

Would it actually be better for Iran or anyone else to have them then MAD is assured. And therefore the likelyhood of war would be deminished. I know many will say Iran is a rogue state and would use Nukes but Israel has said the same and so has the UK in the past and US recently, so what do you think, would MAD work in this scenario.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I'm not sure I understand the question.

All sovereign nation have the right to build whatever weapons they wish.

Without violating international law I don't see how any other nations could stop them.

Vas

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Vas, the American Goverment say that Iran is a rogue nation and should not be allowed to have nukes. I agree with you that any nation can develope what they want for the advancment of their country its people and its protection.

What I'm asking is this, the fact that Israel has hundreds of nukes and said it will use them destablises the whole ME region, if other ME countries had them would this make the ME stable as you would be in the MAD situation and therefore no one would be stupid enough to start a major war.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The fear of Mutually Assured Destruction doesn't work on those who want to die, thinking they'll be rewarded in Heaven with 72 virgins. Why do you think there are so many suicide bombers in the Middle East?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
its not that i think Iran shouldnt have nukes, i believe no nation should have nukes, no country should have the right to hold other soverign nations in fear of annihilation.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
What I'm asking is this, the fact that Israel has hundreds of nukes and said it will use them destablises the whole ME region, if other ME countries had them would this make the ME stable as you would be in the MAD situation and therefore no one would be stupid enough to start a major war.

Whenever this topic comes up I'm ussually one the first to defend any nations right to have nukes. But the truth is I don't believe MAD is a valid deterant. This may sound strange but I want more and more nations to have nukes so that eventaully there IS a nuclear war. I am of the opinion that we will never ban these vile devices until we have a nuclear war.

I grew up in the 80s and I truely believed it was inevitable that I was going to die in a nuclear war before adulthood. I don't think MAD stopped that war I think it was blind luck.

I'm hoping that the Isreal/Iran/Syria(you guys know Syria probably already has nukes right?) nuclear war is the one that makes the world ban weapons like this once and for all.

Vas

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
They have the rights to have nuke power, but not nukes. Although I didn't see any evidence, which is REALLY proving, that they're really manufacturing nuke bombs. They're manufacturing nuclear power plants. And as all we know, the words of the U.S. and Israel and their media is worth nothing in this matter, because they're continuously lying.

The fact is, Iran didn't attack anyone in the last decades. Maybe that's one of the most peaceful country in the Middle East. Yes. They've their own culture, which is strange for the west. But I don't think so that they're developing nuclear weapons. They're developing nuclear power plants and for that they have the right, just as everyone else.

Plus, if Israel have the right to have nuclear power plants and also weapons, I believe Iran has the right to have them too. But I still believe that unlike as the western brainwashing system is telling us, they're not manufacturing nuke bombs at all. As the Iranian president said, the nuclear weapons are good for one thing. To bring fear into the heart of others, but you cannot win war with it, especially if your enemy is close by, such as Israel. They're sharing borders. Also, we, humans are sharing the same planet. Unlike the mega-lo-man western people, Iran is staying behind their borders. If they would want to attack, as the media and the government is stating, they would attack already. They just want to advance with the ages, what Israel don't want to let them, because with this they would loose their #1 role in the Middle East (What they already lost, but they didn't notice it until this time.).

new topics

top topics

join