It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is installing viruses on my computer? That is what McAfee just told me

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Did you by chance open that Mygrandfather is a time traveler thread like I did and open the pictures of the 'manual'?

I have had little to no time to come on in the past days but made it a point to check that one out and any u2u's. I have never before had any trouble with ats.

I began having trouble immediately after I opened it and am even having to drop my usual comp account as it is now stuck in all computer letters, every thing is riddled in pages of computer words and nonsense.

Not sure it had anything to do with it but I am coming on tonight just to check in and this was my first stop.

Last time I visited that thread, I said so much but was ignored. I even had the manual pop up while reading a private email and thats when my trouble began.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Rule # 4, Dont talk about Rules 1-3.

Honestly, sounds like a certain user program that is allowing this backdoor/False reading.

Theres a good amount of software that makes up for its actual ability to detect by just grouping everything that seems bad into a naughty listing.

Avast(free), Kapersky(charge), NOD32(charge), AVG(free), all good choices with little to no false readings. Just becareful, with this power comes the ability to achieve the Dreaded BSoD ( Blue screen of Death )

Not to mention Use your firewalls.

Out of mah 4 yrs with different id changes on this site, I've had no readings of Viruses or malware or any other nasties be detected.

Good luck in the future, and I hope these readings are just a 1 where a 0 should be.

Have a Good eve. ( 010010000110000101
00100000011001010111011001100101)

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Trance Optic]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
i visited the post you mentioned yesterday and got no problems...
as has been mentioned, some banner code could be embedded with backdoors open to the darker side of internet advertising-.-

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I am a PC repair tech and I take Mcaffee and Norton off of computers constantly because they are useless and give a false sense of security.
Not to mention they both give false positives to make you think they are working.
You want a REAL antivirus program then download NOD32. That said
many websites are compromised due to scripts that get infected due to breaches and security flaws. It is not ATS doing this.
Another way to be much safer is to dump windows and use Linux.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Download this it will help getting the stubborn baddies off of your pc.

Malwarebytes Anti-malware

www.malwarebytes.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthsurfer

What the! Triple post! Take me to Vegas!

[edit on 17-8-2008 by antar]

link   

First time I double posted, darn stupid comp!

[edit on 17-8-2008 by antar]

link   

I looked at the link but it is free to 'try' and will get rid of up to 20 nasties, but then will start sending you info on how to buy full protection. Am I missing something here?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I looked at the link but it is free to 'try' and will get rid of up to 20 nasties, but then will start sending you info on how to buy full protection. Am I missing something here?

It is totally free unless you want the pro version.
The free version will work just fine, and will not bother you about buying anything. I use this program myself and it has always been free.
Just click the download link that is to the left of buy now then download and install. Also update after install before scanning for the first time.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Activating the full version unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating. It is a one time fee of $24.95.
It is free unless you want realtime protection, but you can scan at will if you feel that you have been infected, it just wont protect in real time unless it is purchased. The reason I suggested this product is because it is much better than any other malware program out, and it gets rid of way more than 20 baddies. I have removed the most stubborn of malware and trojans with this product from my customers pc's, it will also detect things that other programs don't even notice. Make sure to run a FULL scan, not a quick scan.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Definitely run a decent anti spyware/malware program, Get rid of Nortons/McAffee Programs as they are useless and slow down your system all on their own... but definitely STOP using Internet Explorer. As a previous member suggested - use Firefox instead with NoScript and a popup blocker. It's all free!

Remember, most of your browser exploits are aimed fare and squarely at Bill Gates and those that use his products... namely IE! LOL!

Since I started using Firefox a few years ago, I haven't had one single problem. Downloading it & Installing it will take all but a few minutes from your life.

Well worth the effort! You won't be sorry! Here's the links to make things easier for you!

Firefox Download:
www.mozilla.com...

NoScript Download:
addons.mozilla.org...

IRM

Edit: to Remove AdBlocker Software Link to conform to ATS T&C's!

There Ya Go neformore

[edit on 18/8/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Just a quick reminder guys, because I'm seeing some stuff creeping into these posts....

From the Terms and Conditions

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options while using the website(s).

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Firefox is great, but here's one hint: If you do encounter a hacked site, it can query your browser's 'useragent' string, identify the browser, and custom-send a specific exploit that could, potentially, hack even firefox.

Here's how to avoid that (using firefox):

1) type "about:config" in the address bar
2) right-click on the list that comes up, and choose "New / String..."
3) enter "useragent.override" as the preference name
4) enter (for example) "googlebot" as the string value

This will make your browser identify itself as "googlebot" (which virtually all sites accept as valid), so your browser can't be specifically targeted.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
As a computer expert and long time technical support guru I can confirm that McAfee is a terrible piece of software. We use to have clients phone in with trouble often caused by this wonderful piece of work. Please cease and desist from using it, uninstall it (if you can!) and try one of the many free solutions available (AVG, Clam-AV, etc).

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Nice One Ian. I LIKE that hack VERY much! I'm onto it! Thanks for the heads -up!

Cheers,
IRM

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
mcafee

pffffft

meh

AVG and ZA freebies = no problems ever

Although the new AVG is a bit buggy, it's getting better

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I've always believed it was the virus protection software companies producing the viruses. Is there proof? Unfortunately, no. As you say, google will not bring up information on the anti-virus conspiracy. But I did come up with this on page 10 of a google search:

www.jimmyr.com...

Free software that works better than Norton. But who knows?

[edit on 8/18/2008 by Matrix1111]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Matrix1111

Free software that works better than Norton. But who knows?

Interesting article.
Through the years I have wasted alot of money on software that claimed to be good products, and got burned by later finding free software that was much better. Several years ago I use to send myself bad viruses and trojan horses and tried as many premium and free software apps that I could to judge for myself which "truly" worked and what didn't. I don't condone this, but I use to download and crack premium programs so that I could thoroughly test them myself. Most got uninstalled within the 30 days due to not working worth crap.
I could have just downloaded trials as you usually get 30 days anyway, but I wanted the full blown working version so as to test them. Number 1, I learned to not trust very many software reviews because the reviewers were paid off alot of the time by the creators of these products to give them good reviews. And 2, I found out that on the download websites for these products that the "user" reviews were just people that worked for the software company so of course they would get good reviews.
What I learned as far as Antivirus apps is that Norton and Mcafee not only are no better than some FREE applications, but most of the time are worse.
Norton is an extreme resource hog and slows computers down drastically, and charges an annual fee on top of it being trash.
To get to the point, as far as free av's, I have found that AVG, Avast, Antivir, and Clamwin are ALL better than Mcafee or Norton. And they update automatically daily without any user intervention, so they are always up to date for new threats. As far as the paid Av's my personal favorite is by far Nod32 by ESET. Not just due to how well it protects and performs, but it hardly takes any resources at all, you don't even know it's there unless you see the update notification, or it warns you of a virus at which point it blocks it and lets you choose what you wanna do with a recommended action.
Also, Kasperky is decent, and so is Trend Micro's PCcillin, but neither are as good as Nod32 in my opinion. I would suggest anyone who is a Windows user that if there is one product worth buying, it is Eset's Nod32.
Also, you can't just rely on an antivirus app to protect you, there definitely needs to be a firewall installed "cause windows firewall is useless", and also a good Spyware program. I have a dual boot system since I run Linux and XP. I need to keep XP since being a tech I need to keep up to date on new software as it is always changing, and unfortunately 90% of the world uses Windows so that is where the money is for me. But in my Windows installation I personally have Nod32 as my AV application, Comodo as my firewall "which is free and among the best", and SEVERAL Spyware utilities since there is no single one that protects against everything.
And of the Spyware utilities, I have found that there are free versions of those that work just fine. Spyware Terminator, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Vundo fix, and Smitfraud fix are all great apps and are free.
Anyway, I hope this is of help to those of you who might not be too familiar with these products, and once again I cant stress enough how important it is to have a firewall running also, since most Pc's I work on seem to not have any thinking that the Windows firewall is doing the job which it doesn't.
Take Care...

Stealth

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
So far, I have not had any problems with the ATS site or any other for that matter...but then again I use a Mac.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Symantec (Nortons/McAfee) have rightly come in for some heavy flak. How could anyone PAY to have their time wasted?

Unfortunately, McAfee antivirus comes pre-installed on quite a few of- the -shelf machines and the uninstall is rarely clean. The ruckus from this forced them to come out with a little program that really does get rid of everything:

service1.symantec.com...

Ever tried System Restore? Not so good for viruses but failed installs/uninstalls/crashing updates/lost drivers its the way to go IMO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join