It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

satellite 'chain' for deeper exploration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Is it possible for NASA or another space agency to have a chain of satellites, like for example, at least one around each planet, so satellites could be tracked further from Earth, beyond Pluto and the Kuiper Belt. I'm guessing this would be a wee bit expensive but has it been thought of by a space agency?

does it make sense?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
What sort of satellites do you mean?

Hubble-Style imagers?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
i haven't thought that deeply about it, it just popped into my head, but that would be good. The bad side of that would be they would be impossible to maintain.

oh dear, i think this is falling apart. the other satellites that look at the 'vital stats' of planets, do they have to be aimed at a certain planet or can they 'wander'?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
when I read the first post in this thread, I thought of the same question Kano,

I would like to see a multitude of Satelites that could be "linked" into deep space.

One that provides pictures as well as other information like sounds and "movement" of objects, etc.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Uh, sound, in space? Don't make me bash you!

As far as having other 'Hubbles' orbiting other planets. It wouldn't really be worth it, the view isn't really any different from the other planets when we are considering objects as far away as Hubble usually does.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'vital stats'. Much of the general information about planets can (and has been) gleamed from Earthbound observations. Later confirmed in some cases by sending out probes, orbiters and landers. Obviously an orbiter can get much more specific and detailed information than we can get from Earth or Earth orbit.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Obviously an orbiter can get much more specific and detailed information than we can get from Earth or Earth orbit.

thats what i was trying to get at

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Uh, sound, in space? Don't make me bash you!

As far as having other 'Hubbles' orbiting other planets. It wouldn't really be worth it, the view isn't really any different from the other planets when we are considering objects as far away as Hubble usually does.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'vital stats'. Much of the general information about planets can (and has been) gleamed from Earthbound observations. Later confirmed in some cases by sending out probes, orbiters and landers. Obviously an orbiter can get much more specific and detailed information than we can get from Earth or Earth orbit.

Remember I don't claim to be a "rocket scientist", wasn't sure about sounds in space or not ? I take it by your reply, that there aren't sounds in space ?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Hehe no, there is nothing in space to transmit the sound waves. Sound waves need a medium to travel through, like Air/Water/Wood etc.

In Space, noone can hear you scream!

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
communication sateliets to create a lign of laser connected hubs.

like this earth sateliet in earth orbit than with the help of laser communication sending from sateliet to sateliet so the sateliets are acting like repeaters. just in a token ring or other kinds of networks.

with this we can have direct connection with rovers or other exploration devices. realtime with out lose of time/ time diferential.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
What?

Satellites whatwhat?

It still takes time for the communications between planets, laser comms or not. The old speed of light trick getting us again.

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by Kano]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Hehe no, there is nothing in space to transmit the sound waves. Sound waves need a medium to travel through, like Air/Water/Wood etc.

In Space, noone can hear you scream!

it has been many years since my last science class.

Thanks Kano !

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

top topics

join