It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats you Favorite Martial Art and Why

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by shuck

Another excellant bit of info is the fence..

I would highly recommend these videos!!

uk.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well lets see here.

I started out with Chu'an Fa otherwise know as "Chinese Kempo", and it is the start art for the Japanese Kempo arts.

Chu'an Fa is a very versatile art, it is straight forward and extremely fast paced with about 10 hits per 1 or 2 second periods. all with what is called "even flow" constant movement attacks and defenses.

Then I switched to Wing Tsung gong fu. Another straight forward martial art, except this one is streamlined and one can become extremely effective in the art in a short period of time. This is Wing Tsung in a street fight:

www.youtube.com...

I have studied Brazilian Jujitsu as taught by the US Army as well.(I was not in the army but the people I learned from, including my brother, are.)
I believe it is important to know what to do on the ground should the need arise.

All in all, I'd say avoid sticking to one style over the other. They all have their merits. In a fight(Which in Reno happens more often than I'd like) I switch styles instantly depending on the situation. If I get rushed I go to Jujitsu, if I have 2 or 3 guys on me I use Wing Tsung and Chu'an Fa interchangeably, Melt into your art whatever it maybe, melt in to all of them if you can. Like I said they are all useful.

I've even been known to use boxing techniques, and when I teach someone a few skills I tend not to teach them down style lines and I try to show them specifically what works and what doesn't in real life scenarios.

You don't want to spring into a Tai Chi Whip in the middle of a multi-man melee. Nor would you want to hit someone half your size 30 times in one second. The idea is to know how much force is needed and when to apply it.

For instance, if it's a big dude(I mean big, with muscles and all) feel free to strike nerve collections in the neck, underarms, and testicles. If it's a small guy, lock up the arms and toss the kid a few feet. He probably won't get up to do much except walk away.

And always remember, BE RESPONSIBLE. If it is a matter of survival like WW3 then don't worry, time will clean up the body(as you should be using nothing short of deadly force). If it is just a scuffle or a random mugging, don't be quick to strike that finishing blow, you may want to save some for the cops.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Check out "Sammy Franco's -Contemporary Fighting Arts" its light years ahead of the rest.It's JKD to the next level.....

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

A nice inside cut to the dumbasses who stand stiffly always takes the fight out of them after they can't stand anymore

And it's always funny when you block their kicks with a good shin

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I do ITF Taekwondo, great for self defence!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

I have a new found obsession with throwing an elbow as my first strike when there jaws are flapping. You can't lose. I think if you didn't connect well, which has never happened yet, you can still get them in a close clinch and trip them almost effortlessly. I have never competitively sparred Muay Thai, but they're looking for those things, where your average homie finds it a complete and disappointing surprise.

reply to post by Saidar

Awww... TKD. Cute.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I've just started learning Shudokan Aikido, been I've had eleven lessons so far and I'm really enjoying it. Already got my first belt, yellow with a white stripe

I've just been reading up on some deaths related to the training though, caused by hitting heads on the floor from falling backwards. I think I ought to practice my back drops more!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
My personal favorite has to be the ancient art of
Rex Kwan Do

Bow to you Sensei!!!! Can't beat the intimidation factor of those killer pants.

My dad trained for years in several different martial arts. However, in the only real fight I ever saw him in he knocked out my drunken knife-brandishing Uncle with a right hook to to the side of his head. He went down like a sack of hammers.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Hi, Interesting thread.
I started Korean Judo when I was 6 and moved on to Taekwondo a bit later. I had black belts in both by 14 years of age. I've had good success in MMA tournaments including winning K1 ( the legalised and somewhat watered down version of Kumate).
I've fought and won against every form of martial art I've ever heard of, but I don't believe that it's the form you do that wins the fight. I believe its the fact I started at 6 years of age and had a natural talent for the sport. I think a karate, kung fu, kick boxing, tae bo or oragami student could do the same so long as they started young enough and had a natural talent for the martial arts.
It's not the style, and no single style is best. Starting young, being diciplined, mixing the styles up... that's the best winning combination I can recommend.
No, this old war horse does not compete anymore... but it was sure fun when I did.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I picked up traditional boxing about 15 years ago &had a bunch of amatuer matches, I did some wrestling in high school as well, &dabbled in Kick boxing. Boxing is my favorite &the one I stuck with longer. It's gotten me in nearly super human shape, taught me discipline, and made me so much stronger mentally. It's helped my confidence, and courage--go in front of a crown of 4,000+ people &face another man who wants to hurt you in a boxing ring--that will tell you what you are made of. It's also helped me get out of a few nasty situations on the street where if I didn't know how to use my hands, I would have been in trouble....the average man on the street winds up and tries to hit you with a hay maker..which is a deadly mistake (he ends up getting hit in the face a half dozen times before even throwing a punch), or they try to wrestle you, effectively tiring themselves out quickly. The conditioning involved with boxing is really unreal...running 5 miles a day, eating nothing but nutritious foods, boxing 12-15 rounds a night in the gym 5 days a week, including full on sparring with multiple boxers of different sizes (one at a time), speed bag work, heavybag, skip rope, shadow boxing, double end bag, medicine ball work, slip bag, calisthenics, mit work...it's never ending, it's really a sport that conditions your body to withstand punishment &abuse, you learn to punch correctly, how to slip &block punches, how to take a punch, you refine your hand &foot speed, balance, timing, power, &how to get leverage on your punches, how to throw frighteningly accurate, hard, fast combinations, etc. It's helped me a lot in my life, it's something you'd have to try to really appreciate it. The sweet science.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
the best martial art, is the one that will WIN in the circumstance or situation in which you are required to fight.

it is all circumstance, no ONE style or move can always be used.

bruce lee did develope a martial art style he called jeet kune do i beleive though, you should look into that. he combined EVERY known form of martial art at that time into it. it's a great technique.

"be like water" bruce lee

when you master the philosophical aspect of martial arts, you gain the tools to master the physical side.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Everyone needs to check out "Sammy Franco's - Contemporary Fighting Arts",its light years ahead anything out there.Just think of it as JKD to the next level.It's Bruce Lee Jeet Kune Do very effective and direct,i.Check It Out......

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

Jeet Kune Do is not a style it is a concept meant to enhance the style you are most comfortable with. To allow you an education on how to melt into a situation rather than stumbling on it.

90 percent of the training in Jeet Kune Do is mental toughness, and strategic conceptualization. There's a few techniques that Bruce found insanely simple and effective in confrontation. However, Jeet Kune Do was never meant to be a stylized practice, it was only meant to train your mind into realizing how ineffective and limiting stylized practice can be for the Average Joe, especially.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The best martila art I've ever seen has it's origins in Lancashire, England and is called Ecky Thump! The two protaganists stand toe to toe and beat the living you know what out of each other with black puddings..!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
In my opinion the most effective martial arts are the most simple one. I'm a MMA fighter and have learned that in fights effective, accurate, quick, and powerful strikes are the way to go. I have been training in Muay Thai,Kyokushin,Jitu Jitsu,Boxing,and wrestling. I love the brutal power you can harness with these martial arts. MMA is itself a martial art that requires a different mind set, just like all the rest.

I would say that if you want to learn a martial to actually fight these ones would be the best. Simple,brutal, and tested. I do like krav Maga to!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saidar
I do ITF Taekwondo, great for self defence!

Tae Kwon Do absolutely SUCKS! Someone who only knows the basics in any grappling style, like the Brazilian Jiu Jutsu that i've studied, Would stomp a practitioner of Tae Kwon Do's ass

It has very limited offense, which is easy to get inside, and is to defenseless againsts most styles. Any of the five animal Kung Fu styles are strong against it. Any of the more brutal Karate styles like American Kenpo are strong against it. It is just worthless unless you combine it with something more offensive. I have a friend who is a third degree black belt in it and he can't even touch me when we spar.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

In my first nationals back in '96 there was a slew of TKD participants. In our class there was a total of 40 competitors and at least 30 were TKD kids, some local, most from California, Texas, New York, etc... I was sparing for an Ed Parker styel Kenpo dojo. At the end of the day it was 1. Me, EP Kenpo 2. EP Kenpo 3. EP Kenpo. Going up against Tae Kwon Do fighters was like shooting fish in a barrel. My average round was 5 - 1 with TKD opponents. 5-3 other. And I barely etched out one of my best friends for the win in sudden death. He ended up beating me the next year on a gi swipe(bs).

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Point proven

I've trained for MMA for many years and have yet to find someone who advances very far studying TKD.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Funny...

Notice the guy with the fancy moves shows off the whole time. Then....

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join