It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats you Favorite Martial Art and Why

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
A fun little kung fu parlor trick of mine to try out at a party:

put the tip of a 20 dollar bill in your mouth and put your hands in your pockets

and tell everyone that whoever can take it out of your mouth gets to keep it

you can do this one on one, or if you have the talent, try two or three at a time

you cannot strike them, only check them

the best block is not being there

this is a good way to practice and have fun at the same time, but if your too slow then just try a cigarette or something

peace

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
As I've said before, Muay Thai is a joke compared to Muay Boran(the birth-style of Mai Thai). Why learn something that doesn't teach you the essentials of ruthlessness. If you learn Muay Boran, you can easily choose to tone it down for your opponent's sake, or the law. But any Mai/Muay Thai Kick boxer going against someone using Muay Boran, or Jujitsu will lose their life...fast.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Heretic
I was involved in a thread in which the subject of martial arts came up, and we were really interested in talking more about it. I saw a thread a while back on what people thought the best art was. I didn't respond because I dont think there is one that is the best as that is subjective.

But I did notice many people had all sorts of wonderful stories. I also saw another thread in which the best art to study for survival situations.

The response for both these threads were great and I saw there were many enthusiast and even teachers chimed in. There seemed to be an interest and if your like me you can talk about this subject for days.

So I thought I would create an open ended thread to just talk about the arts and share what ever you wanna share on it with no restrictions, no topic to stay on but martial arts, so we can share experience without having to worry about hijacking my thread.

Right now I practice basic Qigong, some Tai Chi Yang form, but a main focus on Baguazhang because I have spent most of my time on the hard arts till about a year ago. I am almost done with the 24 step forms and I have the basic positions down but I really suck ATM but have a lifetime to perfect it. But I doubt I will ever compare to Qiu Hui Fang. When I saw her do her 24 forms I was blown away as my source videos didn't even touch this.

I came from the harder arts, various arts from Hung Gar to American Freestyle karate.

I basically have a formless mutt art of my own which I think is natural for most artists, and have messed with the internals sporadically in my youth, and have really enjoyed the soft styles and will be sticking with them for quite a while

My Kung Fu story is a long one and to just type out my history and all I know would be insane. Don't get me wrong I dont consider myself a master of anything other than what I practice at this time, an I am certain I will never stop learning

Whats your favorite art and why?

peace

Ninjitsu(bujinkan)..why? no "sport" component to it. It's very effective self-defense. Not watered down, not widely taught(comparatively speaking). good stuff..

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdrawkcabII
As I've said before, Muay Thai is a joke compared to Muay Boran(the birth-style of Mai Thai). Why learn something that doesn't teach you the essentials of ruthlessness. If you learn Muay Boran, you can easily choose to tone it down for your opponent's sake, or the law. But any Mai/Muay Thai Kick boxer going against someone using Muay Boran, or Jujitsu will lose their life...fast.

It teaches you enough to know what you're doing, why it's effective, and equips you with the timing you need to pull it off. When are you going to run into a Muay Boran expert who wants your wallet when you're going to the movie theater? Muay Thai is everywhere these days, and is very effective in many situations.

"I'm not going to buy this Infiniti because it's not a porsche."

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Glad this topic came back up!
I just started (2 weeks now) training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
It's a bartering deal where I get free training 3 times a week, and can also take my son when he gets older, in exchange for my doing website, database work for the facility.
I've never trained in anything as far as sports or martial arts.
I really just wanted to get some skill embedded in me in the event some emergency or crisis happens I can kick some butt and protect myself and my family (yes I have a gun also).
Also, the work exchanged for the training is only a few hours a week and not really laboriously. So in essence it is completely free.

My question is, is there a more effective or better style that would better suit my needs? The facility also offers Kick Boxing.
I only chose Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from the 2 as I was a Royce Gracie fan in the early UFC's. Otherwise, I had nothing to base my decision on.

Thanks for the advice!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Jeet Kune Do,, been doing it almost 20 years and various other martial arts before that, so far JKD has not let me down yet in both physical fitness and practical experience.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Krav Maga is my choice for survival, hands down.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by _Heretic

Ninjitsu for me. Why?
In all martial arts there is a disadvantage, you have an opponent that can either be better then you or have a lucky day...and you die...

In Ninjitsu you have no opponent, there is no confrontation and, once you Master the art, your Target is nothing more then a sitting duck, with no chance to fight back...he's alive, then he's dead. You take no risks...

In a survival situation I also think it is the best. Since Ninjitsu is all about becoming "invisible" and only attacking when you know there is no chance of injury to yourself, it is ideal. This, because in a survival situation any injuries you sustain, even small ones, can seriously debilitate you or, worst, kill you...
Also, Ninjutsu is all about anatomy, use of various improvised weapons, and obtaining a kill with just one attack...

There is another great Japanese martial art but I can't remember it's name. It teaches you how to kill with ordinary everyday objects, such as a sheet of paper, a pencil a plastic cup, twigs etc...
All I know is that the Japanese name for it means "To Kill Naked", anybody know about this martial art?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
Have you ever met grandmaster Masaaki Hatsumi? Where did you train, if you don't mind my asking?

BTW did you know Capoiera is a favorite art of the Brazilians who do BJJ? They mainly use it as a type of calisthenic, but it helps to develop good body control, or so I've heard.

I'm afraid I've never had the pleasure of meeting the Sensei. I very much wish to of course. One of these days I'll go to his trainings in Japan. But as for getting the chance to actually meet him? I don't think so, there's too many people involved.

I have trained in the towns in Sweden where I have lived. Nothing fancy or anything just regular Bujinkan training. Lots of warm-up followed by at least 30 minutes of Ukemi and then technique, technique, technique. Learning solid form is the only way to reach the formless.

I did not know that about Capoiera, but it seems to make sense. They seem to have exstreme control of their movements, almost at a gymnastic level at times. It would be fun to try it out.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
reply to post by Matrix1111

I quite like Aikido myself although I have never trained in it. As you said the problem with Aikido is that it isn't very useful for striking but again as you said if you complemented it with a striking art then that wouldn't be a problem.

Steven Segal makes Aikido look great

[edit on 18/8/08 by Death_Kron]

Actually Steven Segal's opponents make his Aikido look great.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
very interesting posts here

Only self experience is shotokan karate. Very powerfull warm up and training. But to much kicking i guess. Good right now skills to use : better control of breathing, spec. out, balance, endurance, staying power. Basic thinks you can use in "daily" life. For self defence: takes to long and i guess the secret is not to fight (not to fight puts you above the enemy)
favorite in movies : Steven Seagal's aikido, no doubt about that... I almost have every movie he has made...He is a very convincing, sympatic person and there are always an underlying theme in his movies.
This Steven Seagal commercial surely shows that even the bad can sometimes be good, and (sometimes) funny LOL

YouTube - Steven Seagal Mountain Dew Commercial

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
There is no perfect martial art. Each style will have strengths and weaknesses. A good example is TKD. It is an excellent art, with good, practical applications for self defense. But, as one poster mentioned, when you get older, you can't kick so high, and I won't attempt jumping or flying kicks even in slow practice. Way to much pressure on the lower arts.
Akido's joint locks are good. But you have to be fast, and sure of yourself.
Take what is given. If you can use it, incorporate it. If you aren't ready for it, put it on the shelf. It might come in handy some day.
I have found groin strikes to be almost impossible to land. Men instinctively block a strike to the balls, but when they block, they generally leave themselves wide open for a strike to the head, or a leg sweep.
No matter what art (or science) you practice, just remember, the key is practice, practice, and practice some more.
It has been a while since I worked out, but this thread has inspired me to go back to the basics and refresh my memory on some of the forms. They're great excercise, physically and mentally.
This is a great thread. Hope it continues.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can't kill a free man. The most you can do is kill him.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder

Your best and most useful move? learn how to kick someone in the balls properly, and stay in good enough shape to make the most of that 5 second head start you just gave yourself and run like hell.

Ego and martial arts don't mix.

You're half way there, grasshopper.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

You are actually incorrect in the sense that Krav Maga does not have any "sequence of static movements" The whole basis around Krav Maga is that there aren't any rules, forms, or pre-determined movements or attacks.

It teaches you to basically neutralise your attacker in the most efficent way possible to allow you to escape. It even teaches to use any weapons that may be available to you at the time, for example a bottle on the streets or a rock on a beach.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I've seen it taught at a martial arts expo and it bores me. It seems very reminiscent of my Kenpo training. I'm sure if you spent a lot of time, energy, and effort, you'd be good at disarming an attacker no matter what style you used. I'll just stick with hitting jaws, throwing knees, and low kicks. You guys can do katas and sweet hypothetical disarming scenarios.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I started boxing when I was about 12ish then a few years later made a friend who praticed Aikido (his girlfriend was the Sensai, she was about 5ft tall at the most and I was 6 ft something so she loved kicking my arse) I've also done Kendo and Aikiken and a bit of BJJ. Started teaching Akido which I did for quite a few years. after watching the first UFC's started to have ago with some close friends in the garden which was great fun (one of these was a young Aikido student who is now fighting in Cage Rage!!!) I also got my younger Bro (about 6 or 7) into the Arts which started with Kendo and boxing and him being 3 times British junior Kendo Champ. He is now 20 and a professional Muay Thai fighter here in the UK.
I think its great that so many people with Martial experience can get together like this and dismiss some of the myths about martial arts and show some of the positives about the Martial Arts.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Your right, if you spend any amount of time perfecting a certain style then eventually you will become proficent at it. I'v never practised Krav Maga myself or seen it in real life, I have only seen videos etc on the internet regarding its techniques/applications.

With regards to fighting myself, I take the best techniques out of certain styles & disciplines and adapt them to suit myself. In my oppinion, for self defence you need hard, brutal and simple techniques to take someone down.

A right hook to the jaw followed by a elbow strike to the nose/throat and a kick to the groin or kneecap sorts most people out

My only argument with people who say muay thai for example is an excellent art for self defence is that it doesnt include ground fighting.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I think its all up to the individual, some people feel that going to ground on the street leaves you open to attack from people other than your original attacker, some people preffer the ground, I think its all up to where you feel most comfortable, but you should at least have an understanding of the whole.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

Good point, your probably right in a street fight if you go to the ground and theres more than one of your attackers, then the minute you hit the deck theyre going to join on in with the fun - I'v unfortunately had the pleasure of being on the recieving end of this and its not fun.

As you said, its best to have an experience or ability in everything, then theres nothing that could possibly shock you or catch you unaware without you knowing how to deal with it.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Having trained in martial arts these are excellant videos and well worth a look.

uk.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join