It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats you Favorite Martial Art and Why

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xemplar

Most fights that last more than 10 seconds hit the ground.
It may not be where you wanna be, but that's where many end up.
Don't assume your opponent doesn't know how to fight.
the posers usually run.. the ones that call your bluff are usually somewhat experienced.

when facing a larger oponnent, taking it to the ground nullifies reach, height, and size.
Leverage on the ground is huge if you know how to recognize when and how to apply it.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
As we are in the survival forum, the answer is extremely simple -

Krav Maga

The Israeli defence force utilises it, and in my personal experience, is the most effective form of self defence.

The main thing to remember with self defence is this - keep it simple. The problem with many martial arts, is the use of fine motor skills - which, when the adrenaline is pumping, is hard to recall.

If you can train, and build gross motor skill actions, they will be easier to recall and effect in a self defence situation.

If you're serious about learning self defence, Krav Maga is without equal (in my experience).

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

Damn right, Ive always seen myself as a lover, not a fighter, but if peace is not an option and someone is f***ing with your family, Krav Maga is the way to deal with those fools.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Back in the day, Vale Tudo matches were held with almost zero rules.
Vale Tudo means "without rules".
This is the early days of MMA, and no gloves, etc were the name of the game.
The best VT fighters trained Muy thai kickboxing techniques, and BJJ chokes and submissions.
Those guys were Bad Dudes... and some of the best hand to hand fighters on the planet.

Best Martial art system will be debated for centuries to come.. and who knows.. the best is subjective to the situation IMHO.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Imo, the two best martial arts to use in a street situation would have to be either Krav Maga, or if you can find it, Muay Chaiya (Boran), the ancient style of Muay Thai.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
CBA to find my earlier post, but wanted to suggest ninpo, whether it be bujinkan, jinekan or genbukan. quite effective, and, of course, ninjas have the cool factor to boot

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
You guys should check out some Silat. that stuff is simple and very brutal in application. Noticed a lot of military systems are very similar to Silat. To me Silat seems like the quickest way to destroy a human being.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
You dont kneed to know any form of martial arts to survive a fight. Just be friends with a Ninja and keep him close to you at all times.

This. Seriously

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonseeker

I think you need to learn a of different styles. For instance if I could, I would learn;

Ju-Jitsu, Wrestling and Judo for grappling/close combat.

Taikwando, Muay Thai for kicking.

Western Boxing, Kyokushin Karate for striking.

Fencing for one handed swords, Samurai for two handed swords and also Baton Twirling (I know it's a bit... yeah).

Wing Chun for the trapping and fluidity.

Modern MMA for practical applications of submission and grappling/striking.

Basically you end up with the best of everything that way, not to mention as Bruce Lee once said, Flow like water.

You should be learning the best of all those techniques and applying them to whatever situation you find yourself in. They can all merge and you can mix n' match as you see fit.

You could also learn the pressure points and human anatomy to further your martial art success when learning how to disable an enemy in combat. Knowing the way joints move, what hurts and the techniques to apply fast pain with any part of the targets body is good. Keep bones strong, skin tough (especially on the fingers and arms/feet and legs) by beating yourself up, punching hot sand, slapping fingers on bricks, developing calusses on hands etc...

Learning how to spot an opening in your opponents guard is always useful as well, most amateur thugs don't realise a professional fighter would just lure them out if they spot a weakness and end the fight in like 2 seconds max.

I'm by no means an expert but I do dabble in martial arts a fair bit, I like to train as effectively as possible. There are 4 main areas you can work on regardless of what martial art path you take and these are;

Strength - Cardio Vascular (endurance) - Balance - Flexibility.

I hope this helps, happy training!

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Martial Arts is a lifestyle, eating correctly will maximise your bodies potential when training. Don't forget this it's important

I also think common sense could be considered a Martial Art. Gauge an eye out of your opponent and strike the throat so he can't see, he can't fight. Break his ribs, go for the solar plexus he can't breathe, he can't fight. Simple things like that. Bite a chunk of flesh off his body, I guarantee most amateur thugs would run like a girl when they realise your into blood and guts, especially when it's his. He/she won't want to lose and ear, nose, finger etc... Whatever it takes, anything goes in the real world.

Treat your body right, push it hard and keep it healthy, allow time for recovery to avoid too much strain and injury.
edit on 11-9-2011 by AnalyticalDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AnalyticalDreamer

most people never study ONE martial art much less all the ones you list here..have to say, I think it's smarter to pick one, get very proficient, then add other stuff in later on. yes, healthy living is important, I'd also say stretching daily is a must..nothing more embarassing than pulling a hammy when you try a flying side kick

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I studied Shorin Ryu for a few years,.
I had the honor of working with Sensei Tadashi Yami$hita
and Neil Stolsmark..
I was interested in the history of the art., and the combat skills were a bonus.
edit on 11-9-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: had to Edit Tadashi's name

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I think martial arts training is great for cardiovascular fitness and the development of self discipline, but in a real world fight all the choreographed movements just don't work. I grew up fighting on almost a daily basis, and I've met very few people who will continue to fight once you've smashed their nose or stomped on their rib cage a few times. It's hard to fight when you're eyes are tearing up and you can't breathe.

I always considered fear as my greatest enemy. No matter how big or tough you are, you still get scared in a fight. Being able to master that fear is the key to winning.

If I had to choose a martial art system though, I'd go with Krav Maga. It looks about as close to the real thing as you can get. It's not about fancy kicks or punches, it's about making the most out of what you've got and being able to walk away afterwards.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The definition of a martial art is an activity that is used for the purpose of combat. Therefore, my favourite would be pistol or rifle shooting. That way, you keep your opponent at a nice sfae distance when you engage.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
the point of the "art"
is to train the movements of defense and attack.
It IS very useful in having the ability to defend yourself..
Simple Blocking technique can keep you from that broken nose

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Fighting for real and fighting in a studio are two different animals in my opinion. In a studio setting you're not facing an opponent that's looking to seriously injure or kill you. On the street, there aren't rules or choreography. Nobody's going to play along with you and let your kick, punch, or block be successful if they can help it.

The same applies to guns. You may be a great shot, but if you've never faced another armed opponent, you're only going to be about half as good as you are on your best day and that's provided you don't freeze up altogether.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
i would have to go with wing chun (simply because its the only one i know)...
no fancy stuff and very effective....but as far as fighting goes best to avoid if possible,and secondly the art often isnt the reason someone wins a fight,its more about the individual,some people are just freaks....bruce lee as an example won almost every fight he was in not so much because of wing chun,he was just a freak,incredibly fast...he could kick a person in the head before they could punch him.....

peace

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
GOD, please people, stop harping on MMA. That is NOT real fighting. They have many rules outlawing whole styles of kung fu and arts, such as no tiger claw for tearing muscles from tendons, no eagle talon for breaking small bones. My tai chi instructor went to china on one of his teaching trips there, and was invited to the underground fights there, which are NHB. NO fights went to the ground, because if anyone tried to do a hold for a take down, their fingers or wrist were quickly broken. He also watched 2 deaths and many fractures in the ring that day, which he claimed was not unusual there. These are people who have spent their whole lives in the pursuit of martial excellence, not some fools in the ring who got 6 months of standup and 6 months of grappling, and a few doses of steroids. I am quite sure that any scrawny little siaolun monk, even a 50 year old, could tear through most of the MMA lineup, and not even break a sweat. MMA is for mostly young, immature testosterone heads who feel like they have something to prove, not for elite masters, and to assume they are masters is ludicrous.

For me....I have taken traditional kung fu, Yoon chi kung fu, wing chun, jiu jutsu, and tai chi. I have to say, that while i think the tai chi is my favorite, and the kung fu provides me with greater overall ability, i think the wing chun is the most devastating and practical. It teaches you to be comfortable fighting in a zone where most people are not (very very close, like in your face), it helps program lighting defense and counter, and really trips up the opponent with lockups, not to mention getting one comfortable with devastating elbows and alternative hand strikes. Not to mention that crazy looking little old chinese man on the discover channel show, who from a relaxed position slammed out that short punch with WAY more force than that huge american boxer half his age. He was wing chun....crazy 1 inch punch.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Pexx is completey right. MMA is BS for an actual combatative altercation. I know you guys see some scary looking guy on an MMA fight and think hey this is the real deal not like those karate dorks in the dojo. But it simply isn't how things are done in the real worl. MMA isn't even a mixed martial art. it's just kickboxing with jujitsu thrown in. MMA is a SPORT> not self defense.

I watch the fights and mostly I see bad strikers and even worse grappling. anderson silva...good for an MMA guy. crappy as a fighter in comparison to some serious combatitive types out there. It is a myth that fights go to the ground. guess what all fights start standing up. most end that way too. don't believe me then ask a bouncer or a bailif. they see REAL fights every day and they usually don't go to the ground. BJJ is just a trend. it's just simply bad jujitsu. A old school judo or jujitsu guy from japan would cream those guys. MMA is a fad.

I do Bak Mei and Silat, have studied Qi GOng and Iron Palm techniques. I have found that NO...and I mean NO MMA guy does well when faced with Silat. hell even muy tai guys don't do too good when faced with it. wanna know why. cause Silat is ment for the battle field. Not a ring. think these MMA guys can fight on the street guess again. the old adage holds true. you fight the way you train. if you train for sport you fight like your in the ring and you get killed when it gets real. You have to train to take a guy out with severe. and I mean severe mechanical damage to the other guy in a second or so. training to do anything else is a waste of time and dangerous to your health. (not talking about ji ben gong, and conditioning or working on muscle memory by moving slowely, that stuff is a seperate issue its great and has it's place) people laugh when they think tai chi chuan. guess what the bouncer at the club down the street doesn't. that what he's probably training on.

I have found the grappling is down right foolish with anybody stronger than you. I can literally simply pull my self out of 90 percent of every jujitsu move. are you going to grapple with sasquatch or a gorilla. probably not. so why would you think it's going to work against the equivalent human, built like one. guess what it doesn't. striking hard to the face and knees is what works. it's what the militaries around the world train in for a reason.

I say check out guys like joseph simonet, Al dacascos, kelly mccann. people who know how to break a man fast. they teach effective MA. you can learn from them what it really means to know a MA. or simply get on a plane and fly to foshan or hebei and simply go to the local parks. or take a trip to malaysia and hang at the parks there. you will learn real MA. and it won't look like the crap on tv, or the MMA fad/hipsters. MMA get real guys . . . no literally get real.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
paxx like you I have been on the receiving end of the one inch punch.. it's no joke. that punch will send you flying. plus it's awesome cause if you can touch the guy you can deliver it. it's like a point blank bullet to the body. And wing chun, southern praying mantis, and bak mei-hakka arts. effective all of them. and yeah the elbows. elbows are the swiss army knife of the body. elbows can and will do anything.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
One finger karate, it stops them all, big or small

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join