It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Survivalist's Your opinions please...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

My opinion is that you can take that tree hugging hippy crap and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Ouch.

I've been called a tree hugging hippy many times. There is nothing wrong with tree hugging hippies!

The difference is that I am a tree hugging hippy who knows how to start a fire, build a shelter and set a smalll game trap.

But in my innermost being I wish the everyone stop being selfish and work together to make the world a better place.

My tip for UK survivalists is to find out as much as you can about the plant life in your area.

I'm not very strong so my BoB doesn't really contain much food - There's a jar of peanut butter and that's about it, but I am learning about edible plants to supplement anything I can carry, which sadly isn't much.

Best regards

A tree loving Hippy!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

You know why you learnt to light a fire? because there is no one when the SHTF that will do it for you... You know why you learnt to live off the land? because when the SHTF no one is going to feed you.

In short, your self reliance is commendable.

Sitting around doing group hugging isn't going to feed or shelter you.

Survival skills will.

Those who say 'we are one world one people one (sod it I refuse to even write that codswallop on the screen)' are delusional.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

It looks like you have arranged the world neatly in your mind into Threats, Those who are too weak to see the threats and Brave realists like yourself. The truth is that your so called bravery in the face of threats is actually a fear response to imagined objects of fear. You are, in other words, living in a viscious circle of mind-generated fear, and in so doing abandoning the world to all the big bad men that live in your head and that you so fear. Why not step out of the fear trap (and bunker) and make an effort to put some of that energy into improving the world? yes there are things out there that can harm us, but fixating on them and turning your fear of them into a whole way of life is the ultimate waste of energy.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I know. *sighs* But I can wish that it wasn't so.

There is only one person I know without a shadow of a doubt that I can count on in shtf scenario and that person is my partner on the journey to learn all we can about survival. He also hates " tree hugging hippies" which makes life very fun and intersting for us.

But yes, I agree they are delusional, I just wish it wasn't so.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silenceisall

yes there are things out there that can harm us, but fixating on them and turning your fear of them into a whole way of life is the ultimate waste of energy.

My fear of going hungry cold and without shelter is wrong? oh what about clean fresh water? is that wrong too?

So please do ring UNICEF or the UN or the Red Cross or the Red cresent or the UK Gov. and tell them to also stop disaster relief planning as its just a fear cycle..

You talk so much smelly brown that the internet is in fear of drowing.

I'll plan ahead, you just fiddle as it burns if theSHTF.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

You talk so much smelly brown that the internet is in fear of drowing.

This coming from someone that had an intergalactic knife fight with a walking goldfish!! Dont make me laugh!!!

I agree that it will be hard to get a co-oprative going within a large group of people but atleast his willing, whats the point of surviving if we just end up as animals and losing our humanity.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I Tend to agree with parts of both sides of this argument.

What Dan says is true, the only person you can really rely on is yourself.

While it would be very nice to think that every man and his dog will help out its not going to happen everywhere.

Depending on what type of Sitx you will get lone survivors and you will get groups of people who form some sort of co-op.

But looking at humanity's history, there is always someone round the corner looking to take what the next man has.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Your stereotypes and insults reveal how much time you have taken to actually look at the world without fear goggles on.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silenceisall

Your stereotypes and insults reveal how much time you have taken to actually look at the world without fear goggles on.

My stereotypes? having worked in Africa and Asia for aid agencies I can quite whole hand on heart say that getting ready for a possible event is better than being caught unprepared.

Flooding in the UK also demonstrates this, as whole areas of towns had no running water or electricity and they were not even flooded, just within the power outtage area.
Had those folks had a little preperation they would of been 100% better off than the cold hungry miserable peeps they were.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Dan Tannas right, he uses the iron words pretty heavily but he's only telling it like it is.
Life in the open and survivalism in SITX isn't really romantic, its pretty gritty and tough.
I'm afraid that 'turning into animals' is very much what may happen to us when/if civilisation breaks down. You need to expect the worst then build on that for a better tomorrow. Optimism tempered with caution is key.
Survivalists will band together in small groups like a pack and some will be lone wolf-types. After a while, maybe, just maybe things will become civilised again

Civilisation is a very slender and delicate facade that if you peel it aside you will unveil a dangerous animal within. A cities infrastructure and economy are pretty much all that stand in the way. The police help but they are 99% reactionary to a problem not proactive per sa.
The past 60 years have been pretty civilised for the western world, this is partly because of the oil and gas boom and war wearyness from WW2.
Before that the world was a very dangerous place IMO and if the people back then heard all this softly softly type garbage they'd be very disappointed.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Civil unrest is going to be the biggest problem for my area its going to be a case of whoever has the biggest stick wins in the end
All i can say is read up and practice in regards to basics fire building and trapping and so on and get yourself a good knife before the UK government stop anyone from getting one

ive been trying to learn how to bow shoot/hunt im rubbish atm but ill get better

as for some of the people going on about caring about your fellow man and losing our humanity

several hundreds of years ago in the UK we where a bunch of hunter gathers/farmers with mini tribal disputes over hunting ranges and the odd bit of workable farm land but mostly peacful

you know what happened to those little mostly peacful co ops a big co op called the roman empire came along and enslaved most of the island you know the only part they didnt manage to get was scotland
you know why because they put up such a fight (although i think is was more to do with naked men running at them with blue paint aind mud smeared all over them rather than the fighting crazy scots
)
they left just walled them off and had pops and some of their softer targets

lesson to be learned human nature is to go for the easy option we are basically scavengers if something is to much trouble we will move on and find something easier and I for one aint going to be someones soft target

im all for working together with people but those people will be with me long before the SHTF and long after
Bubba and his Cronys will be bothering some of the more humanitarian people

sorry my typing skills are about as good as my bow skills

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Amitsumikaboshi]

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Amitsumikaboshi]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join