"Above my Pay Grade" Washington insider cop out?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
above my paygrade means just that.

Last time ill say it.

Its not up to politicians to decide issues like this.

Thats why we have theologians and scientists.

Obama is neither.

Its 'above his pay grade'

he cant make the choice. Neither can McCain.

Period.

I'll ask one more time since you didn't answer the last one. It was obvious that he was being asked his opinion. It was obvious because it is well known that many different beliefs are held regarding this. He was not being asked to end the abortion debate entirely, he was obviously being asked his opinion.

Knowing that, why couldn't he have given his personal opinion? No one other than philosophers and scientists are allowed to have an opinion about this?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Regardless, Above my pay grade was a poor choice of words.

You will hear it again and again throughout the campaign. He would have been better off saying I will leave that to others to figure out or something along that line and we wouldn't be having this debate today.

Above my pay grade-Obama 2008

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Actually Obama gave an intelligent response to a very stupid question.

You think this was a stupid question ?
AT WHAT POINT DOES A BABY GET HUMAN RIGHTS IN YOUR VIEW?
This was a forum in a church with a pastor, on a topic which Barry has actually voted on and which people have had much debate and discussion on for decades.

Answer : WELL, I THINK THAT WHETHER YOU ARE LOOKING AT IT FROM A THEOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE OR A SCIENTIFIC PERSPECTIVE, ANSWERING THAT QUESTION WITH SPECIFICITY, YOU KNOW, IS ABOVE MY PAY GRADE.

Translation - It depends on whether you believe in God or not.
Although his pro abortion stance has already answered this question for him.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If this man is elected president of the United States he will be faced with many hard questions and impossible decisions.

"Above my pay grade" is a response that lies somewhere between FLIP and FLOP and it's a classic deflective response or non answer. Get off the fence, stand for something, and quit pandering for votes!

IMHO, Mr. Obama does not possess the skill set to lead this great country, and his response to a very simple question serves as a demonstration of that.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

----------------
----------------

This is a tough question. how do you answer without immediately disinfranchising about half of the voters on either side. I would think long and hard before my answer, and it would proly be something like this...

Well being that this is a subject that warrants much debate from either side i would say this...The fact that I'm running for the highest office of the government should not be prdicated on whether or not I'm for or against something that I feel shouldn't have been allowed to be decided by appointed committies that are given to personal bias because of either idealogical or religious beliefs.

This is a very personal choice that whether right or wrong should be made by those who are responsible adults. I know there are those who would not vote for me if I say I'm for it, and also those who would vote for me if I were to support it.

That being the case, I will decline to answer and only tell you this...my father was a Muslim, but in due course I learned of the Christian faith and that is what I identify with as my religion. Should that make you feel uncomfortable because you don't believe in God? No. Because i also believe in separation of church and state, and I promise you that I will not make my decisions based on any kind of religious views, but upon that which is best for the American people through consult with advisers from every viewpoint and political affiliation possible.

So again, I decline to answer that question on the grounds that I'm an American citizen, and have the right to personal beliefs without threat of sanction because of those same beliefs.

Can I have a YEZ?

-----------------
-----------------

[edit on 17-8-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It was a good answer by Obama. No one here can make the decision on abortion, because it's an issue no one's really sure about. It was also a question that should be irrelevant to the job he's about to take on, at least until we are sure of the truth surrounding consciousness/soul.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRooster

Nah, if president and face with big decisions he can do what bush did, just get our nation into a big war and everybody's mind will be off the subject for at least 4 years.

like that he doesn't have to answer to nobody, no even to congress.

That seems the new trend in washignton now a days.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePiemaker
It was a good answer by Obama. No one here can make the decision on abortion, because it's an issue no one's really sure about. It was also a question that should be irrelevant to the job he's about to take on, at least until we are sure of the truth surrounding consciousness/soul.

Oh did he say that? I didn't even watch it because i'm disenfranchised with both candidates.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Obama's "above my pay grade" answer was him attempting to shadow dance around the question and not be pinned down to actually giving his opinion.

If it's "above his pay grade" to have an opinion about abortion, then he is not a person who has any business being President of the United States since if elected it will be up to him to nominate Supreme Court Justices who will have the job of making this and other very difficult decisions. When it's time to nominate a Supreme Court Justice is it also going to be above his "pay grade" to make that nomination. This begs the question of what other important and weighty decisions are also "above his pay grade"...is declaring war, which is in essence deciding the fate of hundreds to thousands of soldiers also "above his pay grade", how about vetoing a key piece of legislation that is related to abortion, war and other important issues....what about pardoning criminals, will that also be "above his pay grade".
His answer to this question was disappointing and in my opinion makes him look like being President is certainly above his potential.

I give that answer an F.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JustTheFacts

It is a stupid question, BECAUSE the answer should not be an issue in politics.

the rights of abortion should never be decided by any form of government.

I disagree with Obama when he says it should be left up to the states.

It should be left up to each and every single woman on this planet.

If you dont' want an abortion. Fine.

But keep your nose out of other peoples business.

Every time some religious zealot comes at me to argue this issue - i picture the old woman setting in her window, on the phone, watching her neighbors all day long.

Get a life.
Stay out of everyone else's.

[edit on 8/17/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JustTheFacts

Perhaps you should ask that question to God and Jesus themselves after all none of them left anything in the bible on how to monitor woman uterus and private parts and neither left anything specifically mentioning abortion.

So get a grip and Deny ignorance, the question was stupid in nature because it was for the purpose to raise debate, Obama was brilliant he didn't took the bait.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I took the phrase "above my pay grade" to mean he doesn't know or have an opinion. Only sanctimonious assholes can answer the question definitively. It's a chicken and egg philosophical question. It doesn't have a correct answer.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
so you have to get paid alot to make decisions of this lvl?

i dont know, my pay grade is ZERO and i still think i can make these judgements just fine by myself

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

and you are correct.

You cna make a decision that effects you, personally, and be right every time

but when you're put in a position that effects millions of people, you have to learn to put aside YOUR religious views, because not eveyrone shares your religion

Forcing your religion on someone is fine - if you live in China.

In the united states, we used to have this ideal that "freedom of religion" was an inherent right to every citizen who comes or is born here.

But there are those people who would like to see that little right taken away.

Go figure.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

thank you for the reply, and i agree there are those who want to make these decisions for us

it is our job to make sure they cannot call the shots for us, and we the people as individuals can call our own shots in our own lives

self determination for the win

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Excuse me are you saying he could not answer because he did not have the information to make a logical decision? But Obama did have the information

The Born Alive bill was sent to the Illinois State Health & Human Services Committee, Chaired by Obama
www.ilga.gov...

Therefore he did have the information to make an informed opinion and as chairman it WAS NOT ABOVE HIS PAY GRADE! He is seriously incompetent to run this country because he can not make a decision after being given the information. I do not want a president with an “above my pay grade” mentally

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

It takes two to make a baby. Here's where I have a problem with your post, and I'll quote you.

"I disagree with Obama when he says it should be left up to the states. It should be left up to each and every single woman on this planet. If you dont' want an abortion. Fine. But keep your nose out of other peoples business".

"Every single woman on this planet"? What about the man that planted the seed? What are his rights? If you argue he doesn't have any, why are so many men financially responsible for these children?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Check your history, it was Congress that didn't say no to Bush. He didn't take this country to war, it went willingly after the towers fell. Why do you Bush haters just want to blame HIM for everything? He had PLENTY of help, he didn't do it all himself!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
[more Science collects the evidence. Theologins discuss the philosophical, moral, and ethical implications of the evidence. The courts, which are an arm of the government makes the final decision, (which can only be overruled by another court or by the legislature passing laws which cleverly dodge the court's decision.)
Sorry Mr Wiggins, but you are wrong on this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can't kill a free man. The most you can do to him is Kill him.
Robert Anson Heinlein

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I get the feeling that this would be a different argument if McCain said it. Since Obama said it, we get the Obama fanclub in here saying he was right for completely ducking the question and not giving an answer. If McCain had said it, these same posters would be in here saying you can't pin down McCain because he won't give a straight answer.

Give me a break. This is poltics as usual.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join