It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York's Video Vigilante, Scourge of Parking Enforcers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

New York's Video Vigilante, Scourge of Parking Enforcers

www.washingtonpost.com

"Something like that is just despicable," Jimmy fumed, pointing to a police enforcement vehicle parked next to a fire hydrant on 33rd Street on Manhattan's West Side on a muggy July afternoon. "They're never allowed to block a fire hydrant -- but they do it."

He is a fairly big, stocky guy, and with his brusque and hectoring manner, he has been described as obnoxious, self-righteous and worse.

"He acts like an adolescent," said James Huntley, the president of the traffic enforcers union. "I believe he's a big kid, or he wouldn't go around intimidating people who are just doing their job."

But in the digital age, Jimmy Justice represents a new kind of citizen vigilante at a time, particularly in New York, when amateur videos are increasingly being used to hold law enforcers to account and shine a public spotlight on their excesses.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Sometimes it gets ugly out there. In the two years since he began making his videos, Jimmy said, he has been threatened, punched and spit on, and has had cameras smashed to the ground. He said he does not disclose his real name because he fears retaliation by someone whom he has made an unwilling YouTube star.

SO THE POLICE ARE ABOVE THE LAW?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hahaha, that is brilliant

That guy seems to have a fantasy of being some kind of super hero.
Jimmy Justice
all he need is a cape.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Lol, this guy rocks. The only force that polices the police is the public and this guy should get a medal for this.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Does anyone slse get the message "this video is no longer available"?
Happens to me all the time when I try and watch youtube links

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Intresting videos. Gotta wonder tho, does he sit around all day filming cops? the second video she makes the u turn, but how did he know sh was going to make one? I would personally get bored filming the same stuff all the time, especially cause we know not much is done about this. They may say something is done to reprimand offics, but you know it doesn't.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
Does anyone slse get the message "this video is no longer available"?

That sometimes happens to me, but only when I leave the browser open a little while without playing the video.

I searched around Jimmy Justice's youtube channel and found a video of a traffic enforcement officer blocking a fire hydrant as the fire department arrives on scene. She is also in full view of the trucks as they arrive and can hear the sirens, obviously, but still waits until she has completed her transaction in the store.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Anyone else notice that he yells a little too much? I feel for the guy, but he needs to watch out, one day he's gonna cross the wrong bully...er traffic agent, and get his head smashed in.

[edit on 8/17/2008 by Finn1916]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Cops will always be above the law and that will never change. People just need to get used to it already.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Go Go Jimmy Justice, I love seeing these morons busted red handed violating their own little laws. One thing though and I wonder if this would benefit anyone. Why doesn't the city turn the fire hydrants around so the valves face towards the sidewalks. That would free up thousands of parking spaces would it not?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

The valves need to face the street to hook up to the pumper trucks for one. You can't go twisting the hose around to point in the other direction.

Yay for Jimmy Justice!

[edit on 8/18/2008 by JokersWild]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The creature of indeterminate gender in the last vid is absolutely hilarious. "You cant film cops because of 9-11!!!!!!!".

Comedy gold right there.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
how come all of the cops are so fat? Oo sorry for offtopic post but i really wonder about that

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Because they're protected by a corrupt union. Wonder why all the good jobs have gone over seas?No unions.Wonder why the top manufacturers of cars and trucks in the U.S are foreign? No unions.
The unions exist not to protect the worker but to continue the union and make the union officials rich off the backs of poor workers.
In NYC The crime Bosses and Union officials are the same persons. NYC is so corrupt it is amazing it survives at all.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day
yay, way to go Jimmy Justice, we can kiss the dream of freedom away if anyone is above the law. Keep those cameras rolling, It's great viewing. Seems there are some really fubared opinions or people out there.

We don't really have this level of conflict in this area of the world. I guess 9/11 really did change New York in regard to what the law's entitled to.

Perhaps New York is turning into Gotham City of Batman fame? Or is that a stretch?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

As a native New Yorker my entire life I know exactly where this guy is coming from. If you talk to anyone who lives in the city you'll hear stories of the outrageous abuses that citizens take every day from these parking agents who are supposed to be "civil servants" acting on behalf of the public.

Just last week I saw an elderly man getting a ticket because he double parked next to a ramp at a medical building to let his wife out of the car (to go up to an appointment, I assume) because she uses two canes to walk. The irony of this particular incident? The traffic agent's car was blocking a drop off spot where the man could have let his wife out legally.

I could go on for a week with stories like that.

The traffic agents in NYC are all corrupt, they're rude, they're spiteful and they're a very poor reflection of what civil service is supposed to be.

Their latest scam is to write people tickets and instead of putting the ticket on the car, they throw it in the trash. What ends up happening is the citizen has no idea he's been given a ticket and ends up getting towed by city marshalls when the late fees for the unpaid tickets add up.

One friend of mine caught them in the act in that scam. He was in Los Angeles visiting family and got stuck there for an extra day. Because of that, his vehicle violated alternate side of the street cleaning rules. When he came home he decided to check online to see if he'd been given a ticket, just to be on the safe side even though his car had no ticket on it.

Sure enough, there was an outstanding summons issued for his vehicle for violating alternate side. He got a copy of the ticket and it said the ticket was not issued to the vehicle because the owner drove off while it was being written. An interesting feat for a man who was across country wouldnt you say?

If this was a case of harassing people who were doing their jobs, I'd say Jimmy Justice should get a life. However these people are not doing their jobs. They are participating in a daily harassment of citizens for absolutely no reason.

Tasting their own medicine is rough. Too bad.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It is good to see someone actively putting this into the public and into the faces of the corrupt. It is a national problem.
Everyday, I see police officers, from local PD to State Troopers, exercising extreme flexion of the law. The drive at dangerously excessive speeds through traffic, run stop lights without lights or sirens on, park anywhere they danged well please, almost never use a turn signal and commit just about every other moving violation in the book. I was almost side swiped by a local PD one night when he decided to make an unsignaled, illegal U-turn. Had I not slammed on my breaks, he would have hit me dead on driver's side door of my vehicle. He narrowly missed my front bumper. After the maneuver, he still did not turn on his warning lights or siren. He ran the stop light just ahead with a "slow and go" but never exceeded speed or turned on any signals or warning devices normally reserved for police emergencies.

I find it truly revialing to see a cop speed down the interstate well above posted, or even safe, speeds only to get to his speed trap point and pull over the very same vehicles that he just blew passed to get there. How fast must you be going to pass someone already exceeding the speed limit to have time to get to a setup point and then get them on radar?

in our town, the local rock radio station has modified the 5pm "hellride" traffic report to include a "fuzzbuster" report. They encourage people from 5 - 6pm to call the station and report when and where they see cops and their trap points set up. That is a busy phone hour. People even call in following them down certain roadways and how fast they are going and when/if the cop makes a turn. It is classic.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Anyone else notice that it seems to be mostly black cops he's picking on? Just found that too be a little odd.

Anyways, can you imagine the dread some of the cops would be feeling when they come outside and see this guy hanging out by their cruiser? He's been around for a while so I'm sure he's pretty well known by the cops by now.

He does definitely need to tone it down though, because he just comes off as a nut in most of these videos.

MBF

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I had one run a red light also and almost hit me in the side. He stopped just inches from me. He just shook his head and backed up. If any of us had done this, we would have gotten a ticket right? These people need to be held accountable for their actions. They should be just as bound by the law as we are. I even had a state patrol tell me that it was almost impossible to find an honest cop any more. Too many are arrogant and pushy.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Dude, just today, a police car didn't stop for my school bus when the stop sign was out and students were being dropped off. When the police car passed us, it slowed down, but then it sped up and disappeared.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join