It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Knight Review. A most horrible film!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The Dark Knight is a most distateful film. It starts off with horrid violence, guns and more guns. The joker shoots a huge gun, a rocket laucher and carries explosives in his jacket. It's sad to see that entertainment comes from seeing people just shoot off bullets and act stupid crazy.

This film was not the batman I grew up to love. The fun, comic book character from the comic books or the lovable TV show. This was a film passed off as a batman film, and trying to be the next Die Hard or James Bond film.

I counted more than 400 bullet shots in this film, it was silly gun violence and it promotes guns and explosives as the only way to entertain the ignorant public. The joker was nothing more but trying to be insane and it was mostly pathetic to watch how hard he tried.

Batman had NO batcave, he's still the wannabe James Bond from the first film, there's nothing superhero about this Batman, he's basically a pissed off dude in a GI-JOE costume. He's like a ninja or government operative. Silly really. You see, they have tried to make Batman too real, like a ganster and dealing with thugs on the streets, but the ironic part about all of this is that you can't have one guy blow up a hospital and get away with it. In a way, nothing you see in this movie is real, but because they are using real looking cars and guns, the appeal to the audience is more real. so it's still a morphed reality.

The problem with this film is that they have taken the fantasy away from Batman. He is now a real guy that bleeds and has his GF killed. He's now more like the Punisher with a cape and more money.

And again, you have another rooftop ending. What is it with superhero films and rooftops this summer? IRON MAN's battle was on a rooftop, The HULK's battle was on a rooftop, SPIDERMAN's battle from last year or so also took place on a rooftop. I mean come on get more original. Here it's not a rooftop, but again a high rise building. Almost a rooftop. The Joker is a lame remake of the CROW and the GOTH look. It just puzzles me that most young people prefer darker characters that kill and act like criminals and they consider this to be great work.

There was nothing creative about the Dark Knight, it was basically a shoot em' up violent film that promotes insanity and guns. And anyone who likes this movie should see a therapist soon because there is nothing to like about it. Two faced with a burned face get's up from the bed, with one side of his face with acid burned skin and he can still move his eyes without his eye muscles. Yet, people think this is reality.

Batman has become some sort of Bruce Willis of Gotham City. And if you think about it, Batman has to be one stupid dude, everyone in Gotham City has a gun, except him, that's not a very smart Superhero.

In the end, I prefer the sillyness of Tim Burton's Batman and The very entertaining Tommy Lee jones as Two Faced.

And to mothers, if you don't want your kids to end up in a prision for shooting someone please don't take them to see this film.

Jedimiller.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Yet, people think this is reality.

you're either a total nutbar or a world-class troll.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I agree with this review. It seems that today people are getting used to the crap that is spewed and are accepting it as to be a real good movie.

I watched it and had a hard time staying awake it was so boring, but guess what it is almost if not yet the most grossing movie ever made.

Just goes to show how dumbed down society is getting. You all are being trained to accept mediocracy as something spectacular!

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm not even going to touch 'mediocracy'. I'm just going to ask you to point the finger elsewhere when it comes to claiming that society is 'dumbed down'.

Pick one of the hundred movies that came out this year that lacked complex moral dilemmas, please.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
In a way, nothing you see in this movie is real, but because they are using real looking cars and guns, the appeal to the audience is more real. so it's still a morphed reality.
I'm so glad someone came out and said this...

Seriously though, are you serious?

I'm with the Parallelogram on this.

You guys are weird.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

I believe your beloved Star Wars has so much more violence and death than the (great) movie The Dark Knight.

In the opening scenes of A New Hope many, many human beings get shot to death with lasers, then Darth Vader strangles a man to death for information.

Not to mention the millions of people that get killed when they blow up Alderaan and when they blow up the Death Star.

Also, in the later made movies the downright violence just gets worse! Anakin Skywalker blatantly murdering Count Dooku by decapetating him in cold blood, also when Senator Palpatine is fighting Mace Windu you get a very good, and horrible, scene of him getting comepletely mutilated by electricity.

I think i'll just dot point the rest:

(In no particular order)

* Anakin being BURNED ALIVE in lava after fighting Obi-Wan
* Luke Skywalkers Aunt and Uncle being murdered, and then watching their Nephew discover their still smoking corpses
* Greedo getting murdered by Han Solo
* The countless amounts of limbs cut off by light sabers throughout the films
* Jabba the Hutt turning Leia into his own personal sex slave and chaining her to... himself
* Countless people getting eaten alive by that sand-worm thing

There is so much more that I'm sure you yourself would be able to think of.

My point is: The Dark Knight is no more violent than the Star Wars movies that you hold so dear.

What I personally believe is that you went into the cinema already with the intention of hating it and writing a thread about it on BTS that may cause controversy or people to get upset with you.

I've noticed with a lot of your threads all you seem to do is try and be as sensational as possible to try and get as much of a reaction out of everyone here as possible. If you seepeople getting excited about something, such as the Dark Knight, the new indiana jones movie, or the olympics (just to name a few), you will write a thread telling everyone how much they suck and why they suck, and you can so tell that in every one you are just trying to get a reaction.

Except with your Win A Date With JediMiller thread, even I gave an audible chuckle to that one.

Anyway, I love both star wars and the dark knight.

Will the real Batman please stand up?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
Just goes to show how dumbed down society is getting. You all are being trained to accept mediocracy as something spectacular!

Thank you MrMysticism. At least there's someone out here who can smell and see poo when they see it. Nowadays, anyone shooting guns and acting stupid gets treated as something spectacular.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toy_soldier

I've noticed with a lot of your threads all you seem to do is try and be as sensational as possible to try and get as much of a reaction out of everyone here as possible. If you seepeople getting excited about something, such as the Dark Knight, the new indiana jones movie, or the olympics (just to name a few), you will write a thread telling everyone how much they suck and why they suck, and you can so tell that in every one you are just trying to get a reaction.

Toy Soldier, I respect your views, but believe me. You are WRONG ABOUT ME. I'm no troll and I love writing reviews, I took numerous film courses last semester where we had to write 10 or so reviews from old to new movies. I wrote my final on the grapes of Wrath. A great film and one of the best films of all time. I actually, loved the new indiana jones and I rarely come here to bash on films, but this new BATMAN has stepped all over star wars shoes and taken it's place. It's following behind titanic, a far superior film than DK. Titanic looks like a Masterpiece compared to this poo do.

There's nothing sensational about picking up on elements in a film. In this movie the most used element was Weapons and GUNS. As if the writers and directors wanted to prove a point. The bigger and badder guns the better it does with the ignorant public and it's sadly true.

Soon I will have my CLONE WARS review- A very positive review and I think you will enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
I watched it and had a hard time staying awake it was so boring, but guess what it is almost if not yet the most grossing movie ever made.

I'm not as harsh as the OP but I definitely agree with MrMysticism here. I actually fell asleep. Probably missed a good 40 minutes right in the middle
The story just didn't really hold my attention for a good portion of it.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

What a GREAT review Jedi...

All the media outlets are fawning over this film...
It reviced more adverstising then Cloverfeild...
And they keep pushing this dead guy on us, like he was some GREAT figure or something...

Ill watch the movie when it comes out for free on TV... Mabye...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
...I agree with some of what the reviewerhas said...

This version of Batman is indee like James Bond in many ways...

His "Q" is Licius Fox... He also has cool cars...And,even cooler cars!

None the less... I applaude the director's attemp to place Batman in

a "real world" setting...

I a ctually enjoyed the film...and it's moral and ethical questions posed...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Maybe go back and read what the new films are based on, this is not your campy 60's Batman TV series, its Batman from the graphic novels, which were far more darker and grittier, actually closer to the original comic books (Batman carried and used a gun). Most Superhero movies are changed considerably from what was written in the original comic and end up being pretty lame so they can be seen by all.
I also think that Star Wars is just as violent but because its "laserswords" and "laserguns" and that its set in a galaxy far far away its not noticed.
Comic book movies remind me a little of Star wars, Lucas did the first three as a serious scifi trilogy but then when he decided to do the next trilogy, especially the first one (I will not mention its name) he sold himself out to the merchandising and to making a family film before even coming up with a good script!! And Lucas has done this again with his awful Star Wars clone of a clone wars animie. A TV movie of a series thats going to cinema just so Lucas can try and fill his pockets again, why make a TV movie then decide to release it on the big screen.
This happens a lot in hollywood and I thought it was good to see Chris Nolan do a movie as a movie should be, not dressed up in silly characters just to make money.
And remember with your next review "why so serious!!!" lol

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Kurokage]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I agree, The Dark Knight was not an entertaining movie, and I walked out in the middle of it, lest I fall asleep.

I expect my entertainment to be empowering and maybe escapist, but not so 'dark' and depressing.

How it got a 9 rating on IMdB, I have no idea.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
gee...jedimiller does not like a non-star wars movie...go figure.

maybe you should go see "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2"

did anyone ask you to review this movie ?? everyone I know who saw it loved it !

you should save your money for "Clone Wars" and go see that.....but quit wasting our time with the movies you don't like.....last time I checked the people of the world don't take your reviews into consideration.

Originally posted by jedimiller
Soon I will have my CLONE WARS review- A very positive review and I think you will enjoy it.

of course you gave that a good review...it's a star wars movie and you are biased towards anything non-star wars.....

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Alpha Grey]

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

who the hell cares what you expect? what should that have to do with a film's IMDB rating?

And what I really can't believe are the people in this thread who haven't even seen the movie, yet feel totally justified talking down their noses to people who enjoyed it. What is wrong with you?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Alpha Grey

AG,

I don't understand the snarkiness of your reply. Are you discussing the topic or using Jedi's quirky reputation as an easy mark for your scorn?

At least he took the time to post a review. I don't see why we can't just look at it and maybe make comments on the review.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Downey Jr disses Dark Knight.

movies.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Interesting.

Though they seem to say he's being loyal to Marvel with the bad review, have to agree with his premise. That is, they spent so much effort making it dark they forgot to tell a compelling and appealing story.

Sure it's cool to be gritty and real, but movies are supposed to be escapism, especially comic book adaptations. I mean Batman isn't supposed to be The Pawnbroker.

Thanks for the link.

2 cents.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
yes, you are correct, every movie must be escapist! what was i thinking.

attempting to buck that trend by making a comic book movie where the characters have to deal with real-world limitations is just an amazingly stupid and uncreative idea.

i will call Alan Moore and tell him to cut the rights to the Watchmen movie right away! and also tell him to burn every issue of the comic, since it was serious too.

jesus effing christ man, not every movie is gonna have unicorns in it.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by The Parallelogram

It's best not to be too threatened by movie reviews.

Watchmen should make a good movie. Is one in the works?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join