It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Defence Ministry - Russian Troops NOT Withdrawing from Gori

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Russian Defence Ministry - Russian Troops NOT Withdrawing from Gori

www.haaretz.com

Russia's Defense Ministry said on Sunday it had not yet begun withdrawing troops from Georgia's breakaway region of South Ossetia, contradicting a top military commander who hours earlier declared that the withdrawal from the Georgian town of Gori was underway.

The Georgian national security adviser, Alexander Lomaia, was allowed into Gori to coordinate the passage of humanitarian aid, but his request to allow Georgian police into the city was denied. He told reporters that quiet has returned.
(visit the link for the full news article)
Haaretz News Source

Related ATS Thread- Georgia Russia Poland Resource Thread

[edit on 17-8-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Well there seems to be real stalemate developing, Russia stating they will withdraw, then not doing so. The US and Europe saying "get out" but with no teeth to the bark.

My fear is as this drops from the news, that the current Russian lines will never go back to their pre invasion places.

I mean if they refuse to leave, as Britain did in northern Ireland, as we are now doing in Iraq, who is going to make them?

Why should they if they risk attacks from Abkhazian rebels too.

Also this just highlights the Media Message and spin on this issue, widely reported that they are moving and withdrawing, but nothing of the kind is actually happening.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
ElfEdit for spelling

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
My fear is as this drops from the news, that the current Russian lines will never go back to their pre invasion places.

Let's not forget that the Russian "invasion" was preceeded by a Georgian attack. I am sure they won't withdraw until they are certain that the Georgians won't try anything again.

I mean if they refuse to leave, as Britian did in northern Ireland, as we are now doing in Iraq, who is going to make them?

What? How is NI anything like this or the War in Iraq? I am offended that you even dare to equate them as one and the same!

Why should they if they risk attacks from Abkhazian rebels too.

The Russians won't be attacked by Abkhazian rebels, as they support them. In fact, the Russians landed a brigade-sized force in Abkhazia last week to back them up against any Georgian aggression.

Let me just say that this situation is IDENTICAL to the West's multiple interventions against Serbia and the subsequent breakway of Kosovo. If the west can invade a sovereign country, support a rebel army and create a new nation at will, then why are the Russians getting flack for supporting their own people?

And before some of you jump in and say "they only gave them passports a few years ago, the're not really Russians", well that's just utter bollocks. The South Ossetians are, for the most part, ethnic Russians. They speak Russian, they have Russian culture and want to part of Russia, like they were before the 1920's. They have held a referendum (much like the Albanian Kosovans did at the West's behest before decalring independence) which overwhelmingly voted for unity with Russia.

[edit on 17/8/08 by stumason]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Im certainly not thinking this is the "Russians" stumason ,(and how are you long time :-)

But the reality of the situation how im seeing this, is that I feel there is real danger here of a rapid and US/NATO against Russia scenario developing.

Equating the situation with NI and Iraq is only for ease of comparison, just that historically when a country takes control of another region, they usually doint leave very quickly.

It is unimportant who is to blame for this conflict now. the waters are way to muddy, Both Superpowers have been up to no good in these areas.

Russia has been told to get out, they wont, what will happen will have no basis on the morals, or the actual events that brought us to this position.

When I mentioned the Abkhazian Rebels, well that is what I was trying to convey Stumason, it is another reason for the Russians to stay in Georgia proper, and support them, also to use the lack of control by the now destroyed Georgian Security abilities to 2secure their borders" or such like.

I think it was just mentioned on the BBC that infact they will withdraw tommorow, but we have as this report shows been told that before.

Kind Regards,

Elf.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I think that Russian forces are not leaving for three possible reasons -
1) Russian leadership hopes that there will be civilian unrest in Georgia that will result in Saakashvilli's retirement. In my opinion - not going to happen. I think that he should leave but he is now sort of symbol that stands against Russian imperialism.
2) There are inner arguments between ultra-hawks and ,well, normal hawks. No doves in Russian politics, eaten long ago. To stay and teach West a lesson or to leave and teach this lesson later in Ukraine.
Thus contradicting statements.
3) Probably the closest to truth. Russia wants to use occupied proper Georgia to receive occupied 'Georgian" South Osetia and Abkhazia. "We will leave, but with gains".

new topics

top topics

join