It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Ossetia Death Toll May Be 45, Not 1500 or 2000

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
the real cause of this whole conflict is that russia is a loose cannon and not controled by the one world government eliete. the russians are nationalists not globalists. (god i wish our country actually cared about our people instead of the global agenda!)

anyway the reason this is important is because when putin came to power he kicked the globalist elite families out of russia and took over. the globalists then created a bunch of "human rights" front groups to try and rile up international opposition against russia. "human rights watch" is one of those groups. they are where the 40 dead figure comes from. so that figure is not coming from an unbiased source. plus even if it is 40 civilians killed by a war of aggression launched by georgia, why is "human rights watch" not criticising georgias government for luanching the attack?

the reason why is because "human rights watch" is really "globalist agenda against russia watch"

for more information about putin kicking out the elite oligarchs go here:
antiwar.com...

With the oligarchic and semi-criminal elements purged by Putin, what remains is the corporatist structure, which is now in different hands. Railing at the Russian president from their posh places of exile in Londongrad, Switzerland, and the French Riviera, the oligarchs' indictment of Putin boils down to one principal complaint: they are no longer in power.

Flush with cash, and intent on revenge, exiled oligarchs such as Berezovsky pour their money into phony "human rights" front groups that regularly denounce Russia's "reversion" to authoritarianism. Some, like Andrew Illarionov of the Cato Institute, go so far as to accuse Russia of launching a military bid to regain its lost empire and advise the West to "consider itself in a new Cold War-like era."

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Actually yesterday on fox news they talked about thousands of casualties but they are in the injured side not death.

Even when I know and we all know that is fatalities the numbers seems to get cloudy and nobody seems to bring a reliable number.

Still when you hear of death is mostly from the Georgia site and not the Ossetia side.

As far as I gather the death toll in Ossetia is between one hundred and two hundred but I may be wrong.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If so many people were killed - there should be a MASSIVE GRAVES, or a HUGE FACILITIES WITH THESE BODIES IN PLASTIC BAGS. Has anyone seen reports with such graves and huge number of plastic bags? About small number of dead (44 dead) you can find in a discussion (sorry in Russian) with Sergei Kovaliov on Thursday broadcast of Echo of Moscow (radio program). Kovaliov and his opponent Kesaiev argue about number of dead but both agree that number of thousands of dead is not actual number, but just “estimated number” and used by SO leader as real number, without comment where these numbers came from.
Of course, probably there are more dead civilians, but problem is, that it is very difficult to visit this region. And that is very strange. If there are so many casualties, Russians should let journalists to see that. But it is not a case.

www.echo.msk.ru...

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Romas

Well actually they can do what the US did in Iraq during the invasion it was not accountability for civilian deaths and until this day is still not clear the death toll on civilians and a lot of criticism has been done against US and the Iraqi government from the many humanitarian organizations.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
From some of the video reports, the Ossetians all went into their basements, so a lot of them survived.

Another interesting thing is some of the reports on the numbers of refugees vs. the number of actual residents in the city. I've heard reports of as many as 70,000 down to 35,000 were in the city when the Georgians bombed it.

Alex just said on his radio show that it is now confirmed that the Georgians engineered a total sneak attack, "literally walking up behind the backs of Russian peace keepers, grabbing the throats and knifing them in the kidneys." And then mowing down civilians as they tried to run and escape.

But yeah marg, I am thinking figures of around 200 to 500 dead. But imagine if you had to go through that. The resulting Ossetian rage and retribution may have been just as excessive as the massacre itself. But hey, if someone hits you, hit them back twice as hard.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Additional confirmation of citizen burials:

Mother spent three days trapped with son’s corpse

When the violence subsided, neighbours helped Taisia to bury her son in their garden. Now, five days later, they are exhuming his body to give him a proper funeral.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
We are going to split hairs on human lives? I get what this thread is saying, but it is revolting to me that only a few civilians getting gunned-down by sponsored-terrorism is somehow less of a war crime.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by pluckynoonez]

but does 45 deaths justify a entire war where thousands have died due to that war??

i think not, its only making the death toll higher!

why didnt russia at least attempt to lie to the UN Security council first like most good warmongers do?

i mean they could have at least made a warning and gave an ultimatum ?

in reality tho, almost all of this is hype.
The truth of the matter is, despite that ALL wars are horrific and nightmarish

The georgia conflict was a Low Intensity Skirmish.

the conflict did indeed stay limited and confined, and we arent in a world war just yet.

maybe thats coming tomorrow, i hope not tho

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRepublic
the real cause of this whole conflict is that russia is a loose cannon and not controled by the one world government eliete.

USAand its Bushes are a loose cannon. They went Iraq do you recall? They went there without the congress approval and they said they would go there even without this so called coalitions help. Stop blaming Russia, USA is planting missiles in Russias borders. When Russis puts up a missile shield to say mexico then Russia is "bad" region. USA is the worst agressor in history of mankind. And the effing country is so young but still contolled by gun loving powermongering warloving idiots.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by abovethelaw

dude you obviously did not read or comprehend a single thing i wrote. i suggest next time fully reading a post before commenting on the first sentance.

i think russia acted correctly in this conflict by defending their citizens.

i am against one world government and the globalists who control my country like bush.

i am glad russia is out of the globalists control and fighting against them.

please read my post again.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
New video:

This video report appears to make the same case that the OP does.

The title of this video claims that there were only 44 dead INCLUDING military. The video report says nothing of the sort. I am starting to wonder if paid disinfo agents are having their way with all this.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
You're surprised that the title on a YouTube video is misleading?

I can't help but wonder about those who think they're going to find the truth on the Internet. I think any hope of ever finding the truth is long since gone. Both sides are making crap up as they go along. Didn't somebody once say that truth is the first casualty in war?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
"Official" results on the death toll in S.O. are in, and again conflict with the reports of the OP.

www.russiatoday.com...

War killed 1,492 Ossetians - local officials

Officials in South Ossetia have released the number of people killed during Georgia's failed military offensive to win control of the region. Authorities in the capital Tskhinvali say 1,492 Ossetians lost their lives in the conflict.

According to Anatoly Nogovitsyn, Deputy Chief of Staff at the Russian Defence Ministry, who was speaking at a news conference on Wednesday, 64 Russian soldiers were killed in action and 323 were wounded.

That's close to what what said to begin with for them, but way far from what HRW is reporting at 44/45. So I take it the officials went around to all the families, most of which are refugees now in North Ossetia, and asked each one of them who all died and where they were buried?

I don't believe either side.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I don't believe either side.

THANK YOU.

I'm glad somebody besides me realizes that America is not the only one who is not being a shining light of justice in this whole scenario. Lately I've really been starting to wonder about that.

Honestly, I could give you a hug right now.

(edited to rephrase something to more accurately reflect my opinion.)

[edit on 20-8-2008 by mattifikation]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
One possibility is that the Russians have grossly overestimated the death toll. Another possibility is that the Russians have intentionally grossly overestimated the death toll. Another possibility is that the dead were taken to southern Russia along with most of the wounded and the refugees.

It's very unlikely that they would have transported the dead to Southern Russia, that doesn't make sense, especially given that it was a forgone conclusion that the Russian forces would win the battle for S.O.

Maybe the dead have not been found? Has excavation of the rubble and the search for survivors even commenced? Did anyone bother to look for people in the rubble, or was it right into the fighting without any search and rescue? I haven't read anything to that effect in the news. I imagine some contingent of Russians must have been conducting relief efforts, maybe they have a separate process for the dead besides dumping them in the civilian hospital?

I am amazed by the "benefit of a doubt" you are willing to give the Russians on this one. Human Rights Watch seems to doubt them and there has been no outside (Red Cross or UN for example) documentation of such casualties. Wouldn't the Russian TV be showing all the "relief and rescue" efforts if it was such a massive project?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join