It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Addiction: A Wake Up Call, Take The Test

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

You sir, are a great prophet of The Pesci :p

Everyone needs something to occupy that time between which they are born, and they die - THIS explains it all man. I am using this as my new sig
Thanks and Joe Bless

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I do think there is a "true addiction" phase, most definitely for some forms of chat (IRC) and probably for gamers too. By true addiction I mean a period of time when being on the net is more fun than anything else (if one goes out to "have fun" they keep thinking "what am i missing online? i wish i was online instead of here).

But that phase passes and I think most just use it to fill the time. If it wasn't the net it would be TV, or books, or whatever. Plus online is interactive. I do think it makes some people less social, they can come home and interact online and they lose interest in getting out, but that is another issue, and so many people have long commutes it sort of makes sense.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Hey there,

I just did the test and I scored 33 too.

Woody

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Hey LAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I'm never online......ok, that's a lie. I scored the same as you, go figure. I kind of go through spurts though. Some days I feel like I'm online all day, and my housework suffers for it and then the famous Rush "Oh *&#!" cleaning kicks in, so things eventually get done. But I can also stay away when other things come up....kids, hubby, vacations, life. hehe

It's funny though, last night I was IM-ing with a friend
and my husband came in and said, "Have you guys ever even talked on the phone?", lmao, and I said, "The phone, now how can we talk on the phone, type and ATS at the same time?", DUH!

But I do have to admit that my time online has probably doubled in the last year.....hmmm, since I joined ATS....hm....odd. But, my sister reminds me that it's a lot less expensive then say, hanging out at the mall all day. And so far there isn't any aspect of my life that has sufferred, a few times I've felt that I could have spent more time with the family and if that's ever the case I always recognize it and back away.

Now, I have severely limited the amount of time that the kids spend online. They seem to have gotten so into the Facebook and MySpace that they weren't out there actually spending time, face to face, with their friends and I really felt that their online time was hendering their social life. So....bye bye Facebook and MySpace. And don't even get me started on their damn phones. UG And maybe I should stay online more during the night then maybe I could catch the teens when they try to sneak out of the house!!

As far as the cyber-sex test......pfffft....who has time for sex, I mean cyber-sex. hehe I might miss a good thread.

Rush

BTW, love the new signature....ain't it the truth!

[edit on 17-8-2008 by hsur2112]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Great Thread...I was thinkin about this very subject this morning...and I did the test....and I got....

***FIFTY FOUR!!!!***

*blushing furiously....*

So I'm loggin off for the first time in weeks, and I'm going to bake some cookies and tidy up the house....I'm so ashamed....

Cait

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
OK, I admit it: Im addicted.

But my excuse for it should be compelling. In the Internet we can...

* Talk to anyone from anywhere
* Get news, share news
* Watch movies
* Produce our own movies (youtube)
* Listen to music
* Produce our own music
* Find information
* Make money
* Track stock markets
* Create websites
* Be artistic
* Collect photography
* Play games
* Go shopping
* Use Google Earth to learn about various places
* Flirt
* and a few thousand more things

It used to be that we had to go somewhere or pay a lot of money to do these things.

So who is to blame us?

The only things we cant do in the internet is get body movement or anything that requires physical work. So the Internet is conditioning us to live in our minds.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Took the test, got a 23, and that test is quite flawed.

The questions are mostly about if OTHER people complain, if people neglect housework or work etc...

A single retired person that has a maid could be on the net 99% of their waking time, order food in and never leave the house, and because no one complains and no tasks are being ignored they would get a very low score.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
overuse and addiction are two different things.

one can spend too muc time on the net.. but to be "addicted" one would have a desire to be online that is beyond their control.
I spend over 70 hours a week online.
but 50+ are for my job.
I could always quit and go build fences of course, but the fact that it pays my bills and i can work from home is a dream come true for most people.

Unfettered comunication scares alot of people.
so does advancement.

I could go back to writing on paper.. and driving across town to ask a question or get my thought out.. but why do things the hard way?

the more you suffer, the better you are right?
wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I only scored 20 something......OK, maybe I wasn't entirely honest......I really do let the housework go, but my at least I've not allowed my husband and dog to starve to death yet!

Tho, perhaps I would not have done quite so well if either of them had taken the test for me.....I do tend to wave off their pitiful cries for supper, for just one more round of Mahjongg.....

When I was a kid, I was always catching heck for having my nose in a book, reading at the table, etc.......it's pretty much the same thing, just different.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I probably *DO* spend too much time online... But is this really a problem?

The closest alternatives to internet would be TV and books. Actually I don't watch television almost at all anymore. Maybe less than 1 hour a week. On the other hand, of course I watch You Tube...

Books, I still read a lot, probably an average of a few books every week. Like yesterday I did read two books. But I still think I spend less time reading than in the early nineties before the internet came... On the other hand I also read online books. I just think books are better than internet since they have no ads, chats, email and stuff that constantly makes you concentrate on multiple things. So basically they are superior to internet only in the sense you are concentrating more on the text rather than jumping between five different windows.

So now you gotta consider this: If you watch television you are basically passive consumer, you are not doing anything actively. On the internet you are at least able to choose more interesting sites to visit, you are discussing on boards like ATS or maybe editing Wikipedia or writing a blog... So it is a very active way of spending time.

So basically I think we are probably becoming *MORE* intelligent because of the internet, if you compare a person spending time in the internet when compared with a person just watching TV.

But i also think I probably should get more exercise and meet people more often in the real world than online... But basically you probably shouldn't worry about internet unless your physical condition or social life start to deteoriate...

I usually work in jobs where it is really necessary to use internet a lot, so I won't say anything about how it would affect you job performance.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Well I think I'm in the clear, I got a 19. And there are only 2 sites in which I possibly stay too long at and thats ATS and Myspace. The Myspace one is a little embarrassing since I'm nearly 30!!

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Scored 66 for internet addiction.

Actually, I should be doing housework right now instead of taking some on-line test

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Hiyah Woody,

Well cool for you then, after I got 33, I figured what the heck I can stay on for an hour more so I didn't get to bed until 4am
But at least with ATS we're learning stuff ...kicks a rock....and mumbles

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

DING DING DING we have another winner!!! Someone phone up A & E we need two Interventions and a camera crew
GEL and Caitlin, please meet us all at the local Comfort Inn, we're having a ...you know ATS meeting, and er ...we want you two to attend

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Hiyah Sonya,

Yes I've told people a lot here in the last year, I feel like I need to get out more, so I make plans with friends, get out, having an OK time...in an hour or so I'm thinking, why did I want to get out more, I am sooo bored
Is this Internet addiction or a sign of boring friends? Hmmm....

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Uh oh.

"You are experiencing occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet. You should consider their full impact on your life."

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yes good point, the Internet has so much to offer, and actually I think it's better, if you have to spend your spare time doing something, might as well be surfing the net.

Remember...those of us old enough to remember this...when TV went to more then 3 channels and our moms would tell us "Get outside and play, the tv is ruining your eyes/mind/ pick a body part" and shoe us out to play? Guess it's the same principle here...but I do know some people that are totally addicted and it's mostly people that play online games.

I know a couple, married, they bought each other Everquest for Xmas, this was back in like 2000, and they told me that when they downloaded it, and started playing, I think it was like the day after Xmas...they were online with nothing but coffee for like 36 hours strait, and seriously they hardly left the house for years, and I lost touch with them...their kids were older and they were both retired, I wonder what ever happened to them ...all I know is they were totally addicted and talked about their "gaming firneds" like they were right next door lol

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by frayed1

LOL frayed...too funny...do you play on Pogo by any chance?
That's a tad addicting, or so I thought until I found ATS
Haven't played on Pogo for awhile since then

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
So as soon as I made my previous post, I lost my wireless......

I think I need to retake the test.............

Rush

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

Exactly! IM's let you do so many more different things then you could do while holding a phone LOL...that's the whole Multi-tasking side addiction I was talking about earlier! Seriously I bet there's something to that...

I was listening to a radio talk show in the car about hiring kids coming out of college for positions in your company and one of the top 10 things to remember about doing this, as the man running the talk show said was, " to remember that the kids coming out of college today are used to multi-tasking, so let them listen to music, IM their friends, text on their phones while they are working." I laughed!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join