It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Addiction: A Wake Up Call, Take The Test

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Internet addiction is apparently becoming so prevalent they are trying to add it to the DSM V ( Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.)

I was stunned by some of the findings in the studies sited in this article with data from South Korea:

Some of the most interesting research on Internet addiction has been published in South Korea. After a series of 10 cardiopulmonary-related deaths in Internet cafés (5) and a game-related murder (6), South Korea considers Internet addiction one of its most serious public health issues (7). Using data from 2006, the South Korean government estimates that approximately 210,000 South Korean children (2.1%; ages 6–19) are afflicted and require treatment (5). About 80% of those needing treatment may need psychotropic medications, and perhaps 20% to 24% require hospitalization (7).

Since the average South Korean high school student spends about 23 hours each week gaming (8), another 1.2 million are believed to be at risk for addiction and to require basic counseling. In particular, therapists worry about the increasing number of individuals dropping out from school or work to spend time on computers (5). As of June 2007, South Korea has trained 1,043 counselors in the treatment of Internet addiction and enlisted over 190 hospitals and treatment centers (7). Preventive measures are now being introduced into schools (9).

Read the diagnosis criteria and see if you or anyone you know is suffering from this:

Conceptually, the diagnosis is a compulsive-impulsive spectrum disorder that involves online and/or offline computer usage (1, 2) and consists of at least three subtypes: excessive gaming, sexual preoccupations, and e-mail/text messaging (3). All of the variants share the following four components: 1) excessive use, often associated with a loss of sense of time or a neglect of basic drives, 2) withdrawal, including feelings of anger, tension, and/or depression when the computer is inaccessible, 3) tolerance, including the need for better computer equipment, more software, or more hours of use, and 4) negative repercussions, including arguments, lying, poor achievement, social isolation, and fatigue (3, 4).

That's amazing, the average South Korean high school kids are spending 23 hours a week gaming, and I would imagine this number is higher here in the U.S. What are your thoughts on this? If I had kids I'd be taking a look at my child's habits, as the article says that this addiction is:

Internet addiction is resistant to treatment, entails significant risks (16), and has high relapse rates. Moreover, it also makes comorbid disorders less responsive to therapy (3).

ajp.psychiatryonline.org...

[edit on 17-8-2008 by LateApexer313]

[edit on 17-8-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I found this, does anyone else see the irony in an Internet Addiction web site??

Welcome to the Center for Internet Addiction Recovery,
your resource for treating Internet addiction since 1995.

Take a test: Are you addicted to Cyber sex?
www.netaddiction.com...

Internet Addiction Test
www.netaddiction.com...

Frankly I am scared to take this one myself
Anyone brave enough?

www.netaddiction.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Ok chickens, I took the test and went first. On the Internet Addiction test I scored a 33. And the results said:

You are an average on-line user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.

Step right up, it's for your own good

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
You might hit a bit too close to home with that posting...

It completely frightens me how inseperable some people have become with their Internet. Even after hours on the computer, when they get off they still have to have a cell phone to call or text!

I will admit though that I have to fight to keep myself off of the internet and do worthwhile physical things.

I imagine that this has got to be one of the hardest addictions to break. Not only is the Internet everywhere, there is no social stigma attatched to it--in fact, it's universally touted as a good thing.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
if you're not addicted to ciggarettes
its the internet

or books
or TV
or sex
or running

i don't see the problem with any of the above, personally.

You can be addicted to something and not be excessive.

Everyone needs something to occupy that time between which they are born, and they die

For a lot of us - the internet is that venue.

"addiction"

I think i can live with that

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I know it's frightening all right. I know I feel like an idiot sometimes, sitting in front of a computer all day for 9 hours then coming home, turning on the tv and ...sitting in front of a computer until bedtime.

I think they need to add "multi-tasking" into the diagnosis criteria. I find it hard to just simply sit on the couch and watch a dvd now. I am so used to chatting on the phone, reading ATS, and having a movie play on in the background it's hard to just watch a movie now, with nothing else going on ...scary.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I work tech support for a major U.S. cable company and I see the addiction. Grown man and women crying (yes crying) due to a storm outage in their area. I work night shift and if there is an outage you would be amazed at the number of people calling at 4 am.

When Florida and Louisiana were going through their worst hurricanes, they would still call reporting their internet was off. I recall asking one caller if she realized she was in the path of the hurricane, she just brushed it off.

I love my internet but I don't burn supper or let the laundry pile up over it.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Oh wow, I can IMAGINE the calls you get when people's internet connection goes down! Seriously, I bet you've heard it all! That's amazing, that people would call complaining during a hurricane

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Hey Late, good for those who need a lil wake up call..lol
I was brave and took the test, got a score of 38..yay, got the same message as you did.

Love to know if anyone has taken the test and come in the high user/addicted range..

BTW, if i was under weight, i would eat more, but im under scored..does that mean i can up my internet usage and abuse?

Good thread hun..starred.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by nuts!]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nuts!

nuts, hiyah!

Hey yeah I didn't think of that, I am under-scored as well, another hour won't kill me

Thanks for taking the test...and yes I wonder if anyone will admit a high score on here??

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
*looking around*

Hi, Im GEL and I am an internet addict.
And I havent taken the test yet. I know, I will score high!

However, I dont care.
The internet is vital to many parts of my life:
School, Work and to keep in very close contact with the most important person of my life

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
GRRRR. Not sure what happened. I typed out a long response (surprise!)
and only some of it posted

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

GEL

Oh come on, be the first to admit to taking the Cybersex test!
Let us know what you get on it too

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313

GEL

Oh come on, be the first to admit to taking the Cybersex test!
Let us know what you get on it too

Achem.
That is a secret
I know the answer already.

I checked out the cyber sex one. Doesnt apply to me

[edit on 8/17/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Oh my God.

You are experiencing occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet. You should consider their full impact on your life.

But I swear I have a GREAT excuse!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

DING DING DING...we have a winner!
So would you be one of the callers Rhain was talking about at her job where the people who lose their internet due to storms etc, call up, grown men and women crying to get back on the internet??

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313

DING DING DING...we have a winner!
So would you be one of the callers Rhain was talking about at her job where the people who lose their internet due to storms etc, call up, grown men and women crying to get back on the internet??

Um. Um. Um.
Well, I um.

I will admit....at least a tear has been shed.

I swear, my excuse is reeealy good

Im begging. Please no intervention!!

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Wow, I did a heck of allot better than I thought I would...

I scored a 30

"You are an average on-line user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage."

Kewl beans, now I can stay up ALL night long and surf ATS to my hearts content

Star

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Pfft...fine fine..i also took the cyber sex challenge and won a turkey..whos for dinner??? hehehe

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I'm just waiting for someone to just say straight out: Escapism is a mental disease.
Cause in a lot of ways, it is. I'n not talking about people who hang out, play games together, larp, roleplay, ect.
'Cause while for some folks it may be weird, it's still a lot of fun, folks get outside, ect.
But doing nothing but being inside on a computer gaming, or reading, ect.
Any addiciotn, even if it's a hobby gone extreme, can be bad.
When people stop Escaping, maybe we can get back to business.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join