It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush officials on offense as Iraq war anniversary nears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- With the anniversary of the invasion of Iraq approaching, Bush administration officials are mounting a vigorous effort to highlight progress in the country and deflect criticism of the failure to find stockpiles of banned weapons.

It seems the Bush Administration is standing behind its actions on the reason for going to Iraq regardless if they haven't found WMD's yet.

Despite the failure to find weapons of mass destruction, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice said Sunday that Iraq was "the most dangerous regime in the world" -- even more dangerous than North Korea, which is suspected of having nuclear weapons and long-range missiles.

I'm sorry but that is such bull #. I don't consider Iraq the most dangerous regime in the world and I'm sure alot of other people would agree.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
GREAT ARTICLE by Robert Fisk on the anniversary of the first bombs dropped on Iraq.

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

"Yet we have dangerously altered the narrative of Baghdad's last days. There was a fearful battle along Highway 1 on the western bank of the Tigris river in which Hussein's guerrillas fought off an American tank column for 36 hours, the US tanks spraying shellfire down a motorway until every vehicle - military and civilian - was a smouldering wreck. I walked the highway as the last shots were still being fired by snipers, peering into cars packed with the blackened corpses of men, women, children.

Carpets and blankets had been thrown over several piles of the dead. In the back of one car lay a young, naked woman, her perfect features blackened by fire, her husband or father still sitting at the steering wheel, his legs severed below the knees.

It was a massacre. Did we think the Iraqis would forget it?

And cluster bombs are our creation. And I recall with a kind of raw amazement how, as American gunfire was swishing across the Tigris, I somehow reached the emergency room of Baghdad's biggest hospital and had to slosh through lakes of blood amid beds of screaming men, one of whom was on fire, another shrieking for his mother. Upstairs was a middle-aged man on a blood-soaked hospital trolley with a head wound that was almost indescribable. From his right eye socket hung a handkerchief that was streaming blood onto the floor.

For days we had seen the news tapes of Basra and Nasseriyah after "liberation". We had seen the looting and pillage there, benignly watched over by the British and Americans.

We knew what would happen when the fighting stopped in Baghdad. And sure enough, a medieval army of looters followed the Americans into the city, burning offices, banks, archives, museums, Koranic libraries, destroying not just the structure of government but the identity of Iraq.

The looters were disorganised but thorough, venal but poor. The arsonists came in buses with obvious pre-arranged targets and did not touch the contents of that which they destroyed. They were paid. By whom? If by Hussein, then why - once the Americans were in Baghdad - did they not just pocket the money and go home? If they were paid post-burning, who paid them?"

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
They will do whatever they can to try and justify or get people to forget, especially with election time nearly upon us.

The news nowadays is so surreal it's sickening. I have yet to hear one un-hypocritcal thing from this administration...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Do I think Iraq was the most dangerouse regime in the world?? Probably not. But then, i'm not privy to all the intel that the WH has.
I would probably think N. Korea is more dangerous globally, but that only my opinion.

I definitely think Those Who Rule and work toward NWO are THE most dangerous threat to our way of life. They are the ones who we really need to worry about, not whether George or John is in the WH. Those two are both different paths to the same goal.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Try to explain the crimes against humanity of September 11, 2001 and we were anti-American

Fisk is a noted anti-semite and anti-American government, loved by the left wing all over the world; typical left wing attack dog. He daintily steps over the facts about Saddam, PLO, Yugoslavia, 9/11 and smashes into anyone who takes a contrary view to his. He will give three sentences to how bad the person is (UBL, Saddam, etc) then three paragraphs against their enemies. In my perusal of his material I have found he was railing against every single military action the US has ever been involved in. In one story he seems lucid and fair and the next he is not independent, he is totally and completely prejudice. As usual with a left wing zealot, whenever he is wrong about something no mention is ever made about it. He was wrong about the Republican Guard in the first Iraq war, wrong about what would happen to the US in Afghanistan and wrong about what would happen in Serbia. All he does is rail about how the US and Israel will fail, they are corrupt, they murder all the innocent people, The US and Israel will rue the day, blah ba blah ba blah. It was like reading a written recording of that nut job Baghdad Bob during the war. "They are committing suicide at the gates of Baghdad!", " We are killing them by the thousands!"

Variable

Then two women drove their car into the Americans in southern Iraq
and
It was a young soldier, a married man, who had driven his car bomb at the Americans near Nasseriyah

Hmm, well if I was a in the 3rd ID on Highway 1 and knew about cars packed with explosives driven by men, women, donkeys or monkies for that matter. I would be inclined to shoot them if they came towards me. I saw the footage; the cars getting hosed were coming near the tanks. History channel just did a story about the very episode your talking about. Lets all remember war is hell and people get killed, this is true. Lets also liberally salt this truism with the fact that Saddam, also brutally murdered his own people in far, far greater numbers. There are two sides to everything. Fisk is notorious for telling his side

I found the whole quotes, yours left out some relevant facts

The American 3rd Infantry Division commander told me that he saw civilian traffic and he ordered his men to fire warning shots, which they did he said two or three times, after which they fired at the cars. And he said 'I had a duty to protect my men.' I have to be fair and quote what he said. He said "I had a duty to protect my men, to protect my soldiers and we didn't know if they were carrying RPGs (rocket-propelled grenades) or explosives.' But cars which did not stop were fired at by United States tanks of the 3rd Infantry Division.

The full quote is here, read the next paragraph, about how he saw tanks with 5 and 6 RPG strikes on them, also note it did not destroy our tanks....
www.alternet.org...

Variable

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Let's see... In the summer of 1990, Saddam's Army was the fourth largest in the world. We crushed it. With ease.

Fastforward to March 2003... The most dangerous regime in the world was sitting at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and at the Pentegon.

Saddam's 'dangerous' regime was nothing but a paper tiger. With our forces containing him he couldn't do shiZit.

BushCo are working on the Big Lie theory (see: Hitler's playbook). Tell the big lie long enough and people will start to believe it. I'm not so sure it's taking as it did for Hitler's propaganda ministers.

I, personally, have never seen a more congenitally lying bunch of people in my life as this administration. Man, I thought Klinton's gang was bad.

Just remember: No means yes. Black means white. Blue sky is thunderclouds. Keep that in mind and you'll do fine.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Saddam's 'dangerous' regime was nothing but a paper tiger. With our forces containing him he couldn't do shiZit.

Tell that to the Kurds.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Give me a break.
The Kurds were what we like to call near autonomous. With our air support, of course.

new topics

top topics

join