It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama did great, but McCain hit the home runs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I surely don't support McCain since I view him as a RINO (republican in name only) and I was quite surprised that Obama did as well as he did for what I thought was to be a "free form" event. (this also led me to believe that both parties were given the questions in advance - which is just wrong in my humble opinion)
But the overall comparison - I can see that my vote for McCain will not be wasted.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Obama saying he will get advice from his wife may have been a mistake. We will have to see. The reason I say it is not negative. Just the fact that Hillary tried to butt in a lot into Bill's business and Obama may have same problem.

The above his pay grade on abortion comment will bite him in the butt.

McCain ran all around what defines rich.

Overall both did good. I think McCain seemed to shine more.

I think this venue showed a lot of differences between the two.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by jam321]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I agree that both candidates did surprisingly well in the Saddleback Forum. It was an exciting two hours.

McCain hit a Grand Slam. I now know why Obama has avoided McCain's calls for debates... McCain definitely can stand with the best. he's candid, direct and honest - all of which I believe are important qualities as the elections draw near.

I have been a McCain supporter all along, but this forum has rejuvenated my excitement.

I hope many people had the chance to see it... it was an unequivocally decisive victory for McCain. Showing his true colors: red, white and blue!

[edit on 8/16/2008 by PORCUPINEPIE]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustTheFacts
I surely don't support McCain since I view him as a RINO (republican in name only) and I was quite surprised that Obama did as well as he did for what I thought was to be a "free form" event. (this also led me to believe that both parties were given the questions in advance - which is just wrong in my humble opinion)
But the overall comparison - I can see that my vote for McCain will not be wasted.

That would be an excellent first question for either one on the next interview. Were you given the questions early?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JustTheFacts

Obama person here... Mccain did hit a home run! He said all the right things, commanded the stage, told great stories, went straight hawk and was engaging.

I think I am going to shot myself, my youth will only see sociopathy...

Well even though I greatly disagree with Mccain I think Obama is going down

God bless America

OFF SHORE DRILLING

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

For those that are wondering what is being discussed, there was a political forum broadcast on CNN.

McCain/Obama Live Forum

This will be aired again at 12:00 AM EST and again at 3:00 AM EST.

Originally posted by mental modulator
Obama person here...

snip

I think Obama is going down

Hmm... is it because of some flip flop maybe?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit: to correct name of program

[edit on 8/16/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

I thought that this was in response to the "Saddleback Forum" held in California on FOX.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

For those that are wondering what is being discussed, there was a political forum broadcast on CNN.

McCain & Obama 'Revealed'

This will be aired again at 12:00 AM EST and again at 3:00 AM EST.

Originally posted by mental modulator
Obama person here...

snip

I think Obama is going down

Hmm... is it because of some flip flop maybe?

Hardly... I explained myself already.

gloat to your friends and leave me alone!!!

Thank you

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by PORCUPINEPIE

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

That may be true. I didn't check other stations that may be airing the same program.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
No doubt McCain benefited greatly from this!

If Obama can not handle this better than McCain did, it just about seals his fate in terms of whats going to happen at the debates.

Its funny, even the liberal media outlets are giving kudos to McCain!

Its funny you don't see the Obamatrons pouncing on this thread like they usually do. Maybe they finally realize they are done for?

Mental Modulator, Being the internet its hard to say for sure. But if you're not being sarcastic I commend you for being non biased.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Hi Hal,

Wow that's different, I like that disclaimer box on your post! A great addition to ATS to make it clear when a mod is "mod-ing" or posting as a member

Thanks for giving the time of the rebroadcast too I really wanted to see that but forgot all about it!

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I agree.Both did well but John Mccain was straight up,especially on abortion,knowledge of who are enemies are(he was tortured by communists and what do you know the Russians had there hand in the vietnam war too!),and marriage.
I dont believe in abortion.Marriage is between a man and a woman.A civil union can be for homosexuality.They are human as well and have rights just like us.
Freedom is worth fighting for.Having heated debates without insulting each other or getting violent,is worth dying for.The russian people cant do that right now.There are other nations too like Myanmar (Burma),Darfur,Iran,Syria,and of course China where your poltical views are suppressed.
I now understand why every 15 to 20 years wars break out.Were in a fight between freedom and democracy,against brutal communist rule or rule by thugcracy like Russia.
Better to fight for freedom than live as slave to radical Islam,communist rule,or dictatorships.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Most of what Obama said I agree with when it comes to issues, so that's all that really matters to me.

McCain was at least interesting to listen to so I'll give him that.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by PORCUPINEPIE
I agree that both candidates did surprisingly well in the Saddleback Forum. It was an exciting two hours.

McCain hit a Grand Slam. I now know why Obama has avoided McCain's calls for debates... McCain definitely can stand with the best. he's candid, direct and honest - all of which I believe are important qualities as the elections draw near.

I have been a McCain supporter all along, but this forum has rejuvenated my excitement.

I hope many people had the chance to see it... it was an unequivocally decisive victory for McCain. Showing his true colors: red, white and blue!

[edit on 8/16/2008 by PORCUPINEPIE]

Candid, direct, and honest?

The easy ones are so easily sold, aren't they?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
For those interested, transcripts of the sessions are available here:

www.rickwarrennews.com...

I thought the most interesting question asked was "Which Supreme Court Justice would you have not nominated"?

Obama: Clarence Thomas

McCain: Ruth Bader-Ginsburg, David Souter, Breyer, Stevens

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
sorry you guys, but mccain hitting it out of the park? please...no new taxes, no abortion, everythings black and white. sounds like bush II. yup nothing to ponder, no need to consider all sides. why is it so wrong to have a president that is thoughtful, a president that considers all positions before making a decision, a president wanting to gather all the information out there before making a judgement as what is best for the ENTIRE nation rather then for a select group on the right. pandering to his base is what best decribed last night for mccain

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
For those interested, transcripts of the sessions are available here:

www.rickwarrennews.com...

I thought the most interesting question asked was "Which Supreme Court Justice would you have not nominated"?

Obama: Clarence Thomas

McCain: Ruth Bader-Ginsburg, David Souter, Breyer, Stevens

your right.... mccain wants to eliminate all judges that are not right-wing, obama wants to eliminate 1 judge that doesn't have the intellectual "chops" needed for the job. is this mccains great judgement of charecter?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Personally, I thought Obama offered the best answers; however, his wasn't the best performance (yes, I think they were both putting on a show).

As for McCain, it seemed like his advisors told him; "No matter what he asks you, make sure to tie-in an anecdote from Nam.". He seemed to be using his P.O.W. experience as a serious crutch.

Personally, I would have liked to have heard more in depth policy discussion from both candidates; however, this was set up to address their philosophical/religious beliefs. It was interesting, but mostly fluff.

[edit on 8/17/08 by redmage]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I disagree with what seems to be the pre-defined opinion that McCain hit 'home runs'.

I found Obama's responses to be (at least in appearance) more genuine... he offered real answers to real, complex issues, rather than the pre-packaged soundbites McCain seemed to supply frequently.

From my POV, McCain was clearly answering what he thought the audience wanted to hear, and I will say he did a good job at that.

But so what? I already know the soundbite answers. And they are largely useless.

For instance the differences in their approach to 'evil'. Obama appeared to understand that there are degrees of evil, and while it must be confronted, the specific form of confrontation may vary, for the most effective solution to the particular evil under consideration at the time.

McCain's "defeat it" sounded great; all testosteroney, but leaves a lot of room for wondering just what exactly he means... start a new war at every opportunity?

I found no reason in this forum to change my anticipated vote.

Props to Rick Warren... he's the first evangelical type for which I actually have some degree of admiration, based solely on last night.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I'm going to post here before reading any of the posts. Just going by the title, I'm assuming you're talking about the Forum last night.

I was actually quite impressed by both candidates. And I felt I got to know them both better, which was my goal.

It's certainly the best I've ever seen John McCain. He was alert, didn't fumble, had strong answers and he was also personable, funny and told stories that appealed to the people. He didn't do that God-awful fake smile and seemed to be pretty genuine. For being John McCain, and the messes I've seen him make, I thought he did very well.

His "negatives" were that he overused his phrase "my friends" and that he seemed to pander and stump far too much for the forum. It seemed to me that instead of answering from his heart, he said what he thought people would want to hear. And they did. He found ways to talk about his POW story, and frankly, I'm sick of that. But it's what he's got.

As far as Obama, he was much more thoughtful and intellectual than McCain, which I'm sure appeals to his supporters. I, for one, was totally impressed with his honesty and the fact that he answered the tough questions truthfully, even though he knew his views wouldn't be nearly as popular as McCain's in this particular forum. I was VERY impressed with his views on working with other countries, the fact that he said he would "confront" evil instead of the 4 answers the pastor gave to choose from. I'm just really impressed with his intellect and thoughtfulness.

His negatives were that he talked a lot. On the other hand, he gave complete answers with the rationale leading up to the answer. The "Uh-uh-uh" and "I-I-I" thing he did bothered me. I'm not all that patient while listening. But my husband said he didn't even notice it.

I would have to say that for me, Obama was nearly perfect, because he came across as a strong, gentle man, who has brains and heart that I can really respect.

McCain, on the other hand, seemed more like a friend of my dad's that might come over and joke with the kids, complement my mom and then go into the den for cigars and drinks with my dad. Just not someone I could relate to at all.

I know the press are saying that McCain "won" this thing, but I'm not sure there's a winner when the purpose was for us to get to know them each better. I think they both won, the people won and I am more supportive of Obama than ever.

Now, I'll go back and read the OP, hoping I replied to the right topic.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join