It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Firefox problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
There were maybe 5 seperate profiles for firefox on my computer, with mine being one of them. Well, someones screwed around and deleted all but two, and mine is missing.

I've gone and searched in 'C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles' but my profile is not there, so it's a bit more serious than just deleting the listing in the profile manager.
I really, really need to be able to use that profile, but I cant figure out how to recover it. The Mozilla help pages didn't help me at all.

Thankyou, and I really hope someone can help, Tom

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Honestly your best bet would be to post in the official forums with as much details as humanly possible and then wait it out

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Have you tried the "undelete" tools? (I'd recommend to do that asap, and not to add anything as much as possible to the hard disk at the moment!!)

Try this: clicky

Otherwise a google on "recover deleted files" will bring many more links... Good luck!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I took the advice of LoveKnowledge and posted on the FF help forums. I was advised to try file recovery programs, and did, but currently nothing is working. I'm not sure how to search properly, I've been using the drive in question since the files were deleted, and I don't even know what I am looking for exactly. All the FF bookmark backup files I can find appear to be for the wrong profile.

I just don't see how data could be deleted so effectively by accident.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
A)When you delete a file, you actually don't delete it entirely. Instead, when you delete a file in Windows, a tag is added to the file. The tag signals Windows that the space on the hard drive occupied by the file can be overwritten. If you are lucky and haven't made any changes then you have a good chance of recovering it. I recommend you try Free Undelete (officerecovery.com...) or Restoration (www.snapfiles.com...).

B)1. Open Firefox -> Select Bookmarks in the Navigation Toolbar.

2. Choose Manage Bookmarks (Firefox 1.5 or earlier) or Organize Bookmarks (Firefox 2).

3. Select File -> Choose Import -> Select From File -> Next

4. Find the Profile Folder for Firefox. The location of your Firefox profiles folder varies by operating system . The Application Data folder could be a hidden folder for your OS.

5. The default profile folder is written as "****.default".

6. In this folder (or other profiles) you should see a folder called bookmarkbackups.

7. Open the bookmarkbackups folder and select the .html file that has the bookmarks you like to recover.

8. Click Open.

The location of your Firefox profiles folder:

Windows 2000 and XP : C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\\

in short words:
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\\

Windows Vista : C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\\

c)For Win 2000 and XP the bookmark backups are in
(For XP/2000 only)
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxx.default\bookmarkbackups
( the "Application Data" folder is hidden by default.
If you cannot find it, try Tools > Folder Options > View tab > select "Show hidden files and folders" > click Apply and OK.
You will now see and access that folder.)

d)For Vista-For Vista it's C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\

e)www.softpedia.com...(hint hint)

f)With a restore of bookmarks to an earlier time. You should be backing up
your profile and personal data. But this one is backed up for you by
Firefox, there is a special bookmarks backup, one for each of last 5 days.
Bookmarks, Organize bookmarks, Import and Backup, Restore (choose date)
I'm not sure if you will see the results immediately after the restore, or have
to take Firefox down and up, refresh my memory when you do it.
--
HTH,
David McRitchie, extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
Firefox Custom: www.mvps.org...

Hope one of these helps, let me know.

new topics

top topics

join