It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is GOD a desperate persons last resort?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
It seems to me, from talking to various religious people & through alot of religious debate, that people tend to "find God" in times of hardship & despair. Normally you will find a sad story followed by..."but then i found our lord" or words to that effect. Now, these sudden "changes" only seem to occur when life has failed them, when they can see no other option or solution to their problems. I am wondering then, if god & religion is a desperate persons last chance of hope. No matter what has happened in their lives "God" will be there for them? Now i understad that if you were brought up to believe in God then obviously that was never your choice. But somewhere along the line, someone in your family had a hard time & turned to the bible.

It seems to be a haven for people in despair.

Now whilst i don't dis-agree with this, and i believe that everyone has the right to their own personal sancturary. Its worrying that people find safety & comfort in something that has yet to me proven true or false. Surely then the bible & religion is dangerous, as it stopping people from confronting their problems & learning how to overcome them. It seems like an easy way out.
I have never met someone who is religious who hasnt:

1) been brought up religious
or
2)had a harrowing experience or traumatic event happen to them.

Just wondered what AT'S thoughts were?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
A lot of people think we Christians just blindly hold on to an idea of God and Saviour without any personal proof!
If it wasn't for God showing me Himself, I may have not believed.
Most people (including myself) didn't WANT God, until, He was our ONLY way out of our own, self-made, heap of failure!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Briles

Jesus said something like, "He who has much will be given more and he who has little will have that taken away."
You might be in that second class. Whatever faith you may have had, naturally, you made no use of and did not allow it to grow. God takes that back because you despised the One who gave it to you.
But I do not think Jesus said something like that unless he wanted someone to hear it and rethink things and avoid that fate.
By asking the question you might be wondering if you should apply some of that gift to see what it might do for you. God's demands are reasonable and will not punish you for making the attempt.

join