It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Forces Digging In Despite Georgian Withdrawal Agreed in Cease-Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Russian Forces Digging In Despite Georgian Withdrawal Agreed in Cease-Fire

www.foxnews.com

IGOETI, Georgia — Russian forces built ramparts of earth around tanks and posted sentries on a hill in central Georgia on Saturday, seemingly digging in amid Western pressure for Moscow to withdraw its forces under a cease-fire deal signed by Russia's president.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
[edit on 16-8-2008 by princeofpeace]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Consider the source, Rupert's Iraq-War-will-bring-us-20-dollar-a-barrel-oil. Not saying it is not true, just have to pause even more so than any other media outlet.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Okay, here is another:

Russia: "We'll take further security measures before Georgia pullout"

Russian forces pulled back on Saturday from the center of a town not far from Georgia's capital after Russian President Dmitry Medvedev signed a cease-fire deal ¬ but his foreign minister said a broader withdrawal would depend on security measures, calling into question how quickly the troops will be withdrawn.

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
One more:

Russian forces still entrenched in Georgia
Saturday, August 16, 2008:

The United States and France said it appeared Russia was defying the truce already. Russian troops still controlled two Georgian cities and the key east-west highway between them Saturday, cities well outside the breakaway provinces where earlier fighting was focused.

"From my point of view _ and I am in contact with the French _ the Russians are perhaps already not honoring their word," U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said.

www.baynews9.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
From the Clinton News Network....i mean ummm....CNN:

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Friday that the agreement calls for the "immediate withdrawal" of Russian troops from its neighbor's sovereign territory, but CNN correspondents reported significant Russian troop movements Saturday.

When asked about those reports, Rice responded Saturday, "The Russians perhaps are already not honoring their word."

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Okay, you're legit

ru.youtube.com...

You've down the scouring, the research. We are all in serious danger. I agree. This playing out still, the medja does not want to talk about it, but that is why we are here at ATS. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
reply to post by princeofpeace

Okay, you're legit

ru.youtube.com...

You've down the scouring, the research. We are all in serious danger. I agree. This playing out still, the medja does not want to talk about it, but that is why we are here at ATS. Thank you.

The medja, as Ali G once coined, does want to talk about it, you just have to dig, as you have done.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

French President Nicolas Sarkozy, who brokered the cease-fire agreement, said Saturday that the truce explicitly bars Russian troops from Gori or "any major urban area" of Georgia.

So the only reason to agree to the peace pact is what exactly? PR? Not upsetting France?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

Maybe, for Russia, it is as Bush once said of U.S. Corp's Constitution: "It's just a God damn piece of paper!"

[edit on 16-8-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
You guys are right. I dont understand why the media is not talking more about this and its almost as if everyone just ignores it and doesnt say anything then it will just go away. But it wont. Why cant we get folks on the ground to report via live TV on the hour as to what they are seeing? I mean this is a big deal, or it COULD be a big deal and why there isnt more reporting is frustrating. If this were going on in the middle east we would be able to watch it live on TV as it unfolds....even if not much were going on.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
A new "checkpoint charlie" type of situation I hope not!

You might find this interesting to get more info:
Georgia*Russia*Poland Missile Defense Shield ATS Thread!

I will add this Link and update the chronology of events tomorrow.

If they dig in as such, after that point, the situation tends to become sort of stuck... definately a standoff then?

not good!

Elf

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The same logic that keeps the US in Iraq is going to keep Russia in Georgia.

They're going to say "We want to pull out, really we do, but we can't yet. The situation is just too volatile, and by pulling out, we'll only make things worse."

Armed militias would be a real problem if Russia just abruptly removed the spear from the wound this evening and didn't look back. There have got to be TONS of S.O. fighters who are just aching for some payback (most reports indicate that this is already taking place), and with most of the Georgian guns having retreated to the capital city, there's nothing stopping them from running roughshod over the country.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Of course you forgot to mention, as well as the main stream media, that Georgia is also in violation of the soviet initiated cease fire. They were supposed to barrack all their troops which they have not done.

top topics

join