It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Waste to be used as car fuel in CA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Beginning in May 2009, people in Orange County and Los Angeles, CA will be able to go to the sanitation department to fuel their hydrogen based cars using human waste! Talk about double duty!

www.ocregister.com...

Without a doubt, human waste is something that we will never run out of, but do we really want to use it to run our cars?

What do you think the chances are that this will actually be the fuel of the future? What are your thoughts on it? Is it a good idea or a bad idea? Would you be willing to give this a whirl?

Jemison

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

Human waste? Wow.. I never saw that one coming. I highly doubt it will be fuel in the future however I do think in the future we'll have various options for fuel(Gas, ethanol, electric,) and human waste could possibly be an option for some people.

I'm going to say that this won't be a big hit, all though it does sound like it could be a last resort. I doubt many people will go to the "sanitation department" to fuel their cars because of shame, esp. women. What kind of MPG can we get with this? Honestly. I don't really see it happening, and if it does it'll be a last resort IMO.

This seems like a bad idea to me because of the fumes cars put out already, could you imagine a humans waste being turned into that? It wouldn't be good. As we are on the verge of coming up with quite a few fuel alternatives we can do better than human waste, so I don't really see it going anywhere.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
No thanks, I would never buy a car that ran on that, NEVER.

If most people have the same reaction as me, I don't see this getting popular.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

This seems like a bad idea to me because of the fumes cars put out already, could you imagine a humans waste being turned into that?

No kidding! And what about car accidents where the 'fuel' is seeping out? ICK!

As we are on the verge of coming up with quite a few fuel alternatives we can do better than human waste, so I don't really see it going anywhere

I somewhat agree with you but it seems that this alternative may be the quickest solution we have at the moment. And the article states that major corporations (such as GM) are very interested in this and are going to be working on manufacturing cars for this purpose.

Personally, I find it disgusting and I hope that it doesn't become the new fuel. I was very shocked that it will be available in 2009 and I have a feeling there are many people here in So Cal that will take advantage of this technology ... at least until they try to use valet parking and are told that they have to park their car 3 blocks away because of the offensive stench!

Jemison

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The reservations spouted here to using this source of hydrogen seem ignorant. Hydrogen does not smell at all. It is electrochemically separated from methane gas given off by bacteria that is consuming the waste. It is an energy positive reaction that generates usable electric energy. There is no fecal matter or smell going into the hydrogen powered cars. Geezz.

[edit on 8/16/2008 by UFOTECH]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Hydrogen does not small at all. It is electrochemically separated from methane gas given off by bacteria that is consuming the waste. It is an energy positive reaction that generates usable electric energy.

Based on that, is it safe to assume that you would be interested in using this as a source of fuel for your car if it were to be available in your area? Do you think that this our solution?

Thank you for informing us that there is no smell involved. I don't think it's 'ignorant' to assume that there might be a bit of a smell. I think it's a fairly natural reaction when one hears that human waste may soon be used as fuel!

Jemison

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I see two problems. The 'ick' factor (as has already been well pointed out
) and the supply problem.

As to the former, yes, I know hydrogen does not smell. But how many people will see this and automatically assume they are running their car on something that does smell? I have a feeling public outcry would be against doing it, despite the poor science behind that.

As to the latter, I don't think human waste alone will make a serious dent in the transportation industry needs. As such, I feel this is just another doomed governmental idealistic attempt to look 'green'. While it may help out some people (and therefore I do not oppose it), I doubt it will be much more than a footnote in history.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I completely agree with UFOTECH.

The Sanitation District has used methane gas from sewage to power its systems for years. The new device, built by Air Products of Pennsylvania and FuelCell Energy of Connecticut, takes this much farther: it will use methane to provide three separate streams of energy.

The methane comes from the sewage plant's 'digesters,' large chambers where sewage is heated, allowing bacteria to break it down into methane and carbon dioxide.

First, the methane will be used in the traditional way, to generate electricity. Second, waste heat from the fuel-cell device will be recaptured, and pumped back into the digester to help heat the sewage.

And third, hydrogen will be chemically separated from the methane and pumped into storage tanks, where it will be ready for use in hydrogen cars.

It helps to actually read the article and not just the headline.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by OnionCloud]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Gives a whole new meaning to the expression "just farting along..."

Oh my! I am sorry! Just too good! Okay, plucky will stop now.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Actually a good idea when you think about it. All the gases and such that are in your poo.

You could possibly synthisize the poo and turn it into liquid gasoline too.

Hey, just create a contraption that pumps the contents of my septic tank into my car, and I'll be set. My own gas station right in my front yard!

[edit on 16-8-2008 by ADisbeliever]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTECH
The reservations spouted here to using this source of hydrogen seem ignorant.
[edit on 8/16/2008 by UFOTECH]

I concur. I was disgusted from reading the comments in this thread. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
yea i think you guys j just read the headline and went eww grosssy

it's fuel DERIVED from human waste.

children...

the stuff you put in your car...
wont be poo.
m'kaaay?

and if this is processed at the sanitation dept, then moved to gas stations.. then fine. .i think you'll get past the "eeew i'd rather kill babies in the middle east for oil reather then know my fuel comes from poo eeeew" factor. (even though your mouth is filled with more filthy bacteria than the poo that comes out of you.)

so anyway...

just get the fuel from it.. and put it in the gas station.. and dont telll the bimbos it comes from "poo" and we can solve this problem.

-

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I also think this is a great idea! In addition to the benefits others have said, the fuel could probably be made locally. IE there would be a relatively negligible cost for transporting the fuel (traditionally a large percentage of the cost of fuel) to whatever fill-up stations are required.

This really could be the "fuel of the future". We'd be killing two stones with one bird at the very least!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by iceofspades

This really could be the "fuel of the future". We'd be killing two stones with one bird at the very least!

Wouldn't that be more like killing two turds with one plant?

OK, OK, that was bad.... no, that was horrible! But I just couldn't resist... I'm sorry...

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Well I did do more than just look at the headline, I glanced through it, after I had posted. I'm still not very warm to the idea of human waste for fuel due to various reasons. Ok it doesn't put out a smell, but does it still put out fumes? If it still puts out fumes it'll run all these Eco people up the wall and won't get nowhere.

I guess whenever I get some time ill sit down and actually read a bit about it. Until then, this is what I have on the subject. Honestly though, if you had the choice of just using human waste for fuel or wait on something else to come along(and im sure it will) which would you choose?
However I do believe that using human waste would be a great last resort, but we aren't to that point just yet..
---------------------------------------------
EDIT
--------------------------------------------
Let me start by saying I still agree with what I said above but upon further review of "Human Waste for fuel" I have came to the mindset of this being a great idea, because it is.
I finally got some time to sit down, educate myself on this matter, and this looks like it could be our answer to quite
a few problems and it isn't as bad as I originally thought. The only thing that troubles me about this is the MPG and the prices
at first here in the United States of America.

I have read that it IS a expensive process to switch to as it would obviously be with any other fuel switch made here in the states, but the war too is an expensive process and I think if this was done, it would put America in the future rather then trailing behind because of high gas prices.

Don't get me wrong, if we can get another source of fuel and hopefully we will, id rather see that than human waste, but if all else fails this is a great idea.

As a few people have stated, this is "the-fuel-of-the-future", but the truth is the future has been upon us longer than we have thought. In 3rd world countries that cannot afford oil have turned to this(using human waste) years ago and have been calling it "Bio-Oil", and once everything is set up within 70 seconds you can have some "high quality" fuel as they stated. Not to mention this can help the greenhouse gas problem and so forth.

If we cannot get nothing else going for us I fully support this. I wasn't to fond upon this idea at first because I had just glanced through not really knowing much of anything about it and talking of possible risks, which I still fear for some, but over all from what I have read the benefits outweigh the risk, and the risk are very few from what I know.

I wouldn't say no one in this thread is ignorant just because we wasn't for this, because in ways im still against it.

However, it isn't as bad as I made it out to be. Take a look at both sides of posters in this thread, some for it, some against it, and some inbetween. All in all both sides make some very good points about this because we all have our doubts about it, but in the future for us this could be progress.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by zeroxhour]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison

Hydrogen does not small at all. It is electrochemically separated from methane gas given off by bacteria that is consuming the waste. It is an energy positive reaction that generates usable electric energy.

Based on that, is it safe to assume that you would be interested in using this as a source of fuel for your car if it were to be available in your area? Do you think that this our solution?

Thank you for informing us that there is no smell involved. I don't think it's 'ignorant' to assume that there might be a bit of a smell. I think it's a fairly natural reaction when one hears that human waste may soon be used as fuel!

Jemison

Oh but you see, it is ignorant to assume that. It means they didn't read the article. Which means they're ignorant of what this thread is about; they're just reacting to the title.

Dare I say it; maybe people should read articles before commenting on them? It doesn't take long to lose your ignorance. And "Deny Ignorance" is the motto of this site. I ASSUME that's supposed to mean we're supposed to strive to not allow ourselves to be ignorant on all issues, as opposed to meaning that we're supposed to act like we're knowledgeable when we're really ignorant, and deny it when called on it.

There was even a pretty picture in the article, presenting a diagrammed version of what's supposed to go on.

I'm not too enthused by the content of the article myself. We've been running things on poo for decades; just usually not human waste. But even then, a fair number of sewage treatment plants are powered by human waste, since it's a convenient source of methane. The only difference is that this is intentionally designed for the purpose of creating fuel, not dealing with waste.

Frankly, I'd be fine with it just making methane, for immediate use in a power generator (or, perhaps, use in buses and forklifts and such). Hydrogen powered things are coming along, but aren't a feasible near term solution. I guess every bit of infrastructure helps, but I'm just not all worked up about it.

EDIT: reply to above

Fumes? It's hydrogen for chrissakes. There's nothing it it but hydrogen. It makes no difference if it's made from human or animal waste, gassified coal, or separated from water by electrolysis. If there was stuff in it, it wouldn't be good enough to run cars on. fuel cells are finicky. They'll probably add foul smelling scenting agents to it anyway, so you can identify gas leaks, just like they do for natural gas/methane (also odorless naturally).

The article is just about a new source of hydrogen. It takes in human waste and puts out hydrogen. you can do the same thing to just about anything organic, like wood or grass clippings, or coal; it's just that crap is something that has to be gotten rid of anyway. It's not like regular sewage treatment plants smell like roses on a spring day anyway.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by mdiinican]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican

Originally posted by Jemison

Jemison

Oh but you see, it is ignorant to assume that. It means they didn't read the article. Which means they're ignorant of what this thread is about; they're just reacting to the title.

EDIT: reply to above

Fumes? It's hydrogen for chrissakes. There's nothing it it but hydrogen. It makes no difference if it's made from human or animal waste, gassified coal, or separated from water by electrolysis. If there was stuff in it, it wouldn't be good enough to run cars on. fuel cells are finicky. They'll probably add foul smelling scenting agents to it anyway, so you can identify gas leaks, just like they do for natural gas/methane (also odorless naturally).

The article is just about a new source of hydrogen. It takes in human waste and puts out hydrogen. you can do the same thing to just about anything organic, like wood or grass clippings, or coal; it's just that crap is something that has to be gotten rid of anyway. It's not like regular sewage treatment plants smell like roses on a spring day anyway.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by mdiinican]

I disagree with you on it being ignorant to assume that. Lets say um, you're telling your parents this and im positive their reaction will be "Human waste? It'll smell!" without a way of knowing. Thats a different story though. This has the article posted and im sure Jemison has read it because Jemison is the original poster.

Unless I missed something the article doesn't say anything about it not smelling and from what ive read the immediate reaction is "that'll smell". Not everyone(including myself up till this point) didn't know hydrogen didnt smell.

Regarding the whole fumes deal, it DOES produce small ammounts from what I have read just not enough to hurt anything. I do think you misinturpreted what I ment by fumes. I wasn't meaning smell, I was meaning more along the line of it pertaining to greenhouse emissions and other pollutants .

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeroxhour
I disagree with you on it being ignorant to assume that. Lets say um, you're telling your parents this and im positive their reaction will be "Human waste? It'll smell!" without a way of knowing. Thats a different story though. This has the article posted and im sure Jemison has read it because Jemison is the original poster.

Unless I missed something the article doesn't say anything about it not smelling and from what ive read the immediate reaction is "that'll smell". Not everyone(including myself up till this point) didn't know hydrogen didnt smell.

Regarding the whole fumes deal, it DOES produce small amounts from what I have read just not enough to hurt anything. I do think you misinterpreted what I ment by fumes. I wasn't meaning smell, I was meaning more along the line of it pertaining to greenhouse emissions and other pollutants .

I disagree with your disagreement. the article doesn't have to say anything about it not smelling. It says plainly what it turns the waste into. It turns it into fuel quality hydrogen. If people don't know what that would entail, then they're ignorant on the matter. There's no excuse to be; running cars on hydrogen is a pretty hot topic. We can't really settle to stay ignorant on the matter; look what's happening with ethanol from corn, and food prices. People need to know the pros and cons of possible petroleum replacements so that they know what to buy, and who to vote for.

As to the fumes, I assumed you just meant some kind of gas that's hazardous to breathe. Now if you meant that the PROCESS would create fumes, like, at the plant, then I'm sure it does to some degree. But at the car, it's just going to yield water vapor.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Didn't know hydrogen didn't smell? What do you think is in water?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
A - people are idiots.

B- Gasoline and coal are made from the dead bodies and waste from lifeforms from millions of years ago.
what's more "eeewww grossy icky get awayy!"?? .. human waste? or millions of rotten corpses?

if you get even CLEANER more eco-friendly fuel from human waste.. rather than the dirty diesel smoke you get from dead rotten corpses in petroleum and coal.. the answer as to which we should use should be fairly simple.

what is human waste anyway .. but dead rotten corpses... especially if you eat meat.. if not. its the dead rotten material from plants.

C- people are idiots.

-

top topics

<<   2 >>

join