It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best weapon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Yes, its quite sickening that here in the UK it is illegal for a citizen to be in possesion of CS gas, pepper spray or an extending baton, but it isn't for the police that are protecting this country. Now, at first that does seem to make sense.

However, what right do they have to protect themselves that I do not?

I suppose that someone could argue and say that they are using those weapons to stop crime, however if it was legal for me to carry them and I used them against someone who attempted to rob me then I have also used them to stop crime!

I don't see why they are made illegal because that does nothing to stop the people who have them in their possessions from using them maliciously anyways.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
For folks in the UK, I suggest a 16-24 ounce ball peen hammer or a geologist or mason's pick.. Either is as effective as a baton. These are the long time favorites of most felons who can no longer purchase firearms.

Firearms are convenient and economical but they don't turn their owners/users into supermen. For countryfolk, hikers and travellers, no one thinks twice about you carrying a quarterstaff. A well placed blow just above or below the kneecap usually does the trick against most opponents. I know of one old man who took down a thug twice his size with a solid blow with his cane to the top of his foe's foot. The blow broke several bones and required major surgery to repair them(while the thug was awaiting trial). According to my old neighbors, the now paroled thug still walks with a slight limp.

Tweakers aka meth-heads are easily spooked with the mere suggestion that cops or rivals have discovered their hiding places. They usually run/scurry back to their hidey-holes in abject fear.

In Sun-Tzu tome , The Art of War, there's a classic line that's often misqouted:

"Know one's opponent as one knows one's self" Self-defense is as much knowing your potential opponent possible capabilities as knowing your own strength and weaknesses.

A stout stick of wood, 3'-5' in length is pretty much the match for any other handheld weapon except the spear in a one-on-one situation. .

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Your mind. Our minds.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I'm surprised there arent more fans of your simple edge weapon out there. Ill take my CR cutlery Van Hoy snaplock blade over anything else I could carry on a daily basis....

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Personally I carry a modified version of the Manriki-gusari. My updated version uses a pocket clip Kershaw lock back with a drop open action. When I am out and about it is clipped to my pocket on my draw hand side. Attached to this and in my pocket is a small 45 caliber sized bronze ball with a bolt hole. Attached to that is a swivel and then 3' of 14 gauge stainless steel cable with a ring on the other end that hooks into the lanyard hole of my Kershaw.

This can be used with the traditional Ninjitsu techniques for a Manriki chain but it is faster and quieter and can be disposed of if needed at very limited expense. I do not take this to the airport with me but I carry it every where else. I try and spend at least 2 hours per week in practice with this weapon.

This is a last ditch weapon and one I deploy only when I can not carry a pistol like in a no firearms posted location. On the rare occasion that I have to go past a metal detector I only carry a couple of sharpened fiber reinforced polymer cards in my wallet. These are made from 1/16th" fiber reinforced pultruded flat stock that is available from creative pultrusions and sharpened with an electric grinder and finished with a ceramic sharpening stone. These can be used in hand like an edged weapon with some finger holes cut in for grip or thrown if needed. They are undetected in metal detectors and are better than being completely disarmed. As with any regular carry weapon you have to practice enough that you do not have to think about it and you just do as you are trained. As with any weapon if you train enough with it you are a lot more effective.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Beretta Tomcat .32 loaded with Fiochi rounds (7.65 Browning). Very small, powerful, double action, and semi-automatic.

But of course, that is legal here in the good old U.S. of A., and in my state we have carry permits.

I rarely carry on my person, but I have at times when I perceived a need. Given the neighborhoods I drive through, however, it is a comfort to have it in the car.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Some well thougt out responses here. For our situation, the best weapon is the one that we can fabricate on our own, and train with to become proficient.

When I lived in Los Angeles (eons ago), even a hammer in a car was considered a deadly weapon -- perhaps those things have changed by now. I carried an 18" aluminum dustpan -- a construction dustpan. I was in construction. It was a serious weapon, with a nasty sharp edge (which I helped out), and ...... well, I always thought, if I go to court for defensive assault, can you imagine the dialogue?

Q: An what did the defendant strike you with to cause so many lacerations and bruises?

A: ummmmmmm, well, it was a dustpan, but.... but... it was a really BIG one!!!

Okay. Where I live we are not allowed the conventional weaponry, unless one is willing to pay a colossal amount of money for a permit. Propelled gasses/capsicum are illegal. We are allowed machettes, and nearly every home has at least two.

So, for us, the perfect weapon is that which I can posess legally now -- pre-SHTF, and I can utilize to great effectiveness later -- Post-SHTF. That would be a bow. I have little use for a longbow, given that I don't forsee needing to propell homemade shafts over great distances to attack maurading hoardes. No, just a standard bow, hewed out of native materials, light pull, I'd guess 45-50 lbs. Arrows made from fire-hardened dowels and fletched with duct tape attached on three points, sticking to itself and then trimmed, homemade sheet steel points.

A short bow serves a defensive purpose, as well as giving a person the possibility of taking small game (which is the only kind we have).

Now, I get the feeling that most of you are thinking of an urban defensive situation. On the rare occasion when we travel to the U.S., I wear a heavy duty belt with a modest, but very heavy buckle. It doesn't scream out "weapon", but can be deployed to great effectiveness it about three seconds from the time the threat is perceived. Obviously, this would be in response to a situation where my Bride and I could not walk/run away from, nor negotiate a better outcome. She has excellent skills of her own.

Long term answer: The best weapon is the one in which you are trained to utilize, can posess [currently] legally, and perhaps can assist you in acquiring food.

I think our Mod who suggested the folding shovel....... that's the right kind of thinking. It lacks concealability in an urban survival situation, but the merits far outweight that minor problem.

In my van right now, in the console, is the old timing chain from it. I doubt I'll ever need it. I like it being there.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

I see that as a good choice. When we lived in the U.S., we both carried concealed legally. I carried a .32 Seecamp -- no sights, DA only and only chambered Silvertips. Never misfed, and was reasonably accurate for such a dinky gun. Was easily concealable without having to always wear specific clothes. Fit comfortably in and ankle or boot rig.

my darlin' favored a .22 LR Beretta...... also an excellent firearm, with the advantage of having a pop-up barrel, in the event of needing to clear a round. She carried it in a Gloria LeMaster conceal purse -- end seam velcro with a 1 second deployment. Good stuff.

Of course we'd all like the hand-cannon available when the bad stuff goes down. Better the thing a person can carry comfortably, to the point where it becomes a part of you, just like putting on your shoes or checking for your wallet.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
In some cities in the US where you have concealed carry you can not carry a weapon in many places and then you are unarmed of course and in an area that indicates to everyone who might want some to shoot some fish in a barrel that there are unarmed potential victims here. If I can carry I do. The other weapons I described are for those places that do not allow weapons.

I have found that a pocket full of roughly edged stainless steel washers are very effective as a way to allow you to escape from an armed attacker or used to cause them to become defensive so you can close the distance to deploy hand weapons or unarmed tactics.

When I got out of the Army in the early 80's I went into security for a while and then got into collections to make more money. I went into some pretty rough areas to recover property sold on terms so I found weapons at hand training came in very handy on some occasions. Later I found that more money could be made in bond recovery so I started working for some attorneys that wrote their own bonds. I had a lot more occasions that required my weapons skills. After a few years of that crap I found that I wanted to get into something far less dangerous. I did learn a lot of what is effective when the chips are down during those days.

It is a lot harder to have to defend yourself when everyone knows who you are and they can find you. You have to use as little force as you can or you end up making more enemies than you can handle. It is not fair to be in that situation but it is just a fact. You can not do permanent damage to someone who has family that will then be looking for you for revenge. Even if you are attacked you have to do as little damage as you can while defending yourself and in my case recovering the property or the bond.

When you think about defensive combat you have to think about the end results as much as the effectiveness of the technique. You might have to live in the same community with people you have injured or the relatives of those you have had to kill to defend yourself. Professionals have to deal with this and amateurs should think of this as well.

[edit on 8/23/2008 by UFOTECH]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I agree with the post below... my boomstick is a mossberg 500a but you should be good with any small 12 ga pump. Mossberg

fletchettes

Originally posted by Illahee
Rem 870 pump shotgun indoors with 00 buck or flechetes if they are legal in your country. Mag extension tube optional.

Outdoors and close up semi auto ak variant. some countries allow full auto but semi is best for ammo conservation and legitimate targeting.

If you live where they don't allow guns your scr**ed. Some criminal will have them.

If your UK hammer out a knife or sword on a chunk of railroad track. Your scr**ed. Criminals are already stabbing everybody.

Good luck. Nobama.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
One for the firearm/bow/x-bow owners...

What would you do for 'weaponry' for either defence or hunting once your source of ammunition is expended and no more available...what would be your preferred primary (ranged) weapon be then?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTECH
Personally I carry a modified version of the Manriki-gusari. My updated version uses a pocket clip Kershaw lock back with a drop open action. When I am out and about it is clipped to my pocket on my draw hand side. Attached to this and in my pocket is a small 45 caliber sized bronze ball with a bolt hole. Attached to that is a swivel and then 3' of 14 gauge stainless steel cable with a ring on the other end that hooks into the lanyard hole of my Kershaw.

This can be used with the traditional Ninjitsu techniques for a Manriki chain but it is faster and quieter and can be disposed of if needed at very limited expense. I do not take this to the airport with me but I carry it every where else. I try and spend at least 2 hours per week in practice with this weapon.

This is a last ditch weapon and one I deploy only when I can not carry a pistol like in a no firearms posted location. On the rare occasion that I have to go past a metal detector I only carry a couple of sharpened fiber reinforced polymer cards in my wallet. These are made from 1/16th" fiber reinforced pultruded flat stock that is available from creative pultrusions and sharpened with an electric grinder and finished with a ceramic sharpening stone. These can be used in hand like an edged weapon with some finger holes cut in for grip or thrown if needed. They are undetected in metal detectors and are better than being completely disarmed. As with any regular carry weapon you have to practice enough that you do not have to think about it and you just do as you are trained. As with any weapon if you train enough with it you are a lot more effective.

ummm...why do you carry this? It seems a little strange that you would walk around armed with exotic weapons, and even have a plan to beat metal detectors if you happen upon one. I live in Chicago, some people feel it's a dangerous city, and in 15 years I've never encountered a need for anything like you describe.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
A small water pistol (child's) filled with bleach. Get a brightly colored one so as not to be confused with a real pistol.
Really does work!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
When it comes to self defense dont overlook the obvious car keys can make for a great incapacitator in pinch.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join