It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best weapon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

I want to know, what in your oppinions if the best or most effective concealable self defense weapon ? Now, I quite rate the Kubotan, but I'm sure the most of you will have differing oppinions?

Legal or Illegal, your thoughts? Obviously without breaking the T&C's of the board, but I'm interested.

Could be something as simple as a extending baton or something more elaborate such as a taser/pepper spray combination?

I'm sure there's an item that someone has used and will continue to use in a survival situation that most haven't even thought of?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
There is no perfect weapon... Just perfect weapons in the perfect situations that call for them.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Well, I'm talking about a self defense situation here, not a combat zone firefight. A kubotan would be a lot more realistic self defense weapon that a 9"" Machete, the fact that its legal spins the argument.

I'm asking what would you, on a general basis, consider to be an effective self defense weapon/tool, that wouldnt arouse significant suspiscion ?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
what in your oppinions if the best or most effective concealable self defense weapon?

The ultimate concealed weapon? well...we here all carry one, are all currently in training to hone performance and technique, is adaptable to any survival-for-life situation, and is undetectable by any means of search or scan...have you guessed the weapon yet?

...your brain!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Everyone has the ultimate weapon the human brain it can get you out of most dangerous situations.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I just get my pork sword out if anyone tries to attack me
,(NOT)
I prefer just a simple plain old cosh which is very handy if someone attacks you and they have a knife.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

To mis-quote Mick (Crocodile) Dundee...

"..that's not a sword....*zzzzzzzzziiiiip*...this is a sword!..."

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
reply to post by altered_states

To mis-quote Mick (Crocodile) Dundee...

"..that's not a sword....*zzzzzzzzziiiiip*...this is a sword!..."

hes a fiesty big fella to say the least

R.I.P steve urwin

[edit on 8/16/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
In the states a Glock 26 is my choice. (in states my concealed permit is honored)
In the UK I would go with pepper spray and a good pair of running shoes.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The well trained mind is indeed the ultimate weapon as it can not be taken away easily and it can fashion field expedient weapons as needed. I suggest you train your mind and sharpen your senses and your awareness. Being aware at a higher level of functioning than everyone else in your immediate vicinity is the best defense you can have.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Pepper spray in any form is a big no-no...the dibble will have you if you're found in possession of the stuff!

If you want to go the way of devious weapons, to say, defend you house from looters, a kettle filled to maximum with water and half a bag of sugar tipped-in and switched on to boil will give some poor sod 3rd degree burns...

If you want to go one better and have something more portable and nasty, take a soda siphon and fill it up with drain cleaning fluid and then charge up to pressure with a CO2 capsule, and you have a chem-thrower that will take the skin off and blind any attacker

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Also could I recommend fat lead knuckle dusters concealed with them 99p magic wooly gloves is idea,l as far as your concerned if the plod drives past it just looks like you have gloves on, also if joe bloggs comes up to you and whips a knife out and says give is ya wallet just take a swipe to the side of his head with them dusters on booooom it would take him right out.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

You guys cant even have pepper spray over there?

Are you allowed to defend yourself at all?

Winston Churchill must be spinning in his grave.

Move to America it would be nice to have a few English speaking immigrants for a change.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriot207
reply to post by citizen smith

You guys cant even have pepper spray over there?

Are you allowed to defend yourself at all?

Winston Churchill must be spinning in his grave.

Move to America it would be nice to have a few English speaking immigrants for a change.

pepper spray or cs gas over here in the uk carrys the same sentence/punishment as if you were carrying a gun, or it did have the law might of changed by now.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I think most folks would agree with me that the cornerstone of any piece of 'survival' equipment is versatility. Everything in a good kit does more than one thing well - it's the key to covering all your bases with minimal weight, ensuring redundancy in case you lose a portion of your gear, and accounting for wear and tear.

With that in mind, batons are right out. They're only really good for one thing that I can think of, and that's smacking people around. Besides, there are plenty of individuals in the world who, through sheer body mass, muscle density, and bone structure, can just shrug off multiple baton blows and keep right on coming. God help you if they're tweaking - that baton will just make them mad.

A better choice would be a very durable folding shovel with at least one sharp edge. Few things are more demoralizing than having to dig a big hole with a small knife, so having a portable shovel is a very good idea anyway. Add in the fact that it gives you a very sizeable reach advantage over attackers armed with knives, and what more do you want? How about the fact that it works splendidly as a hammer (much better than a knife pommel), an axe, and even a saw if you get one with a serrated portion?

The shovel doesn't sound very intimidating, but believe me, you would NOT want to try to poke me with your wee knife if I've got my shovel out. Mine is beastly, it's got two good edges, and more inches of edge than any two knives/hatchets I've ever owned combined. I have used it several times to split coconuts - one good stroke, or two. Try doing that with an extending baton.

A sturdy cane/walking stick or umbrella is also not a terrible choice.

Every survival kit has at least one or two good knives, but the idea is to outreach the opponent and keep them far enough away that they pose no threat to you.

Of course pistols are a fine choice for self-defense if you're fast to get on target and a good, quick shot at short distances. I personally don't have one, but loads of people like them and recommend them in a survival situation.

I guess I've never really seen TEOTWAWKI as some sort of wild west, annie get your guns type situation. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. If you plan on recreating the Mad Max movies, then yeah, you might need that arsenal, but if your plan is just to remove yourself from danger and stay sheltered and fed until things calm down, a pistol isn't strictly necessary, and will just add to the weight you're carrying.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
No matter what weapon you choose for self defense, training is the key. There is no point pulling out some random weapon, if you have no idea how to use it. All that will lead to is your attacker taking the advantage, and possibly using your weapon against you.

From a UK perspective, you really can't carry anything of any use for defense. You are limited to rape alarms and the occasional marker spray/air horn type thing. Kubatons, if used correctly are very effective, however they are illegal if it can be proved it is being carried to cause harm. The problem being, once used, you have caused harm, therefore you have broke the law.

My personal choice would be a collapsible baton, as its something I have trained with. They can be used for more than just hitting people, for example they can apply pressure in arm bars etc. However, in the UK, they are banned under the offensive weapons act. How they differ from pool cues/baseball bats I've no idea, but thats the law.

A good substitute to the baton is a Maglight or similar. It has the added advantage of being a rather bright light, good for disorientating your opponent. Hold it high, shining the light into their eyes, then swipe down over, aiming for the collar bone. Yet again, if used as a weapon, the police will look dimly on you, and you'd have to prove it was used in self defense. Luckily for me they believed my version of events after locating the discarded knife.

Sometimes being in the UK sucks... but I hope my late night rambling was of interest for you.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Rem 870 pump shotgun indoors with 00 buck or flechetes if they are legal in your country. Mag extension tube optional.

Outdoors and close up semi auto ak variant. some countries allow full auto but semi is best for ammo conservation and legitimate targeting.

If you live where they don't allow guns your scr**ed. Some criminal will have them.

If your UK hammer out a knife or sword on a chunk of railroad track. Your scr**ed. Criminals are already stabbing everybody.

Good luck. Nobama.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Pepper spray in any form is a big no-no...the dibble will have you if you're found in possession of the stuff!

It seems they do not allow pepper spray in Canada also. I live in Alaska and drive through Canada frequently. When I travel I carry bear spray, which is just a big canister of pepper spray. They have no problems with bear spray - I guess it is OK to defend onself against a bear but not against humans that mean you harm. Then again, Canada and GB punish free speech also, so what do you expect.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

With that in mind, batons are right out. They're only really good for one thing that I can think of, and that's smacking people around. Besides, there are plenty of individuals in the world who, through sheer body mass, muscle density, and bone structure, can just shrug off multiple baton blows and keep right on coming. God help you if they're tweaking - that baton will just make them mad.

and what people are you are referring too I doubt that there would be many individuals on this earth that could take a direct blow to the chin no matter what the density of the bone especially if you coat the end of a spring loaded baton with lead, damn them things can take a two tonne bull out on the sly, so a baton is a good choice as it is easily concealed and if its the spring loaded one they very durable ,also if you found yourself in the jungle you could use it as a fishing rod or a coat hanger or if you played for a band you could use it as a drum stick if one of yours snapped just whip it out like so and carry on playing the drums.These are just a few examples of of what the baton can do.

Peace

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
LOL!
Play the drums to keep the natives happy

Seriously, pepper spray is against the law if you get caught carrying it or grassed up.
9 times out of 10 unless you are a criminal and up to no good then law-abiding folk don't need to worry.

In SITX the authorities will not give a damn about one of us carrying non-lethal weapons about to protect ourselves.

(I'm a 100% against any bs law that prevents a citizen from having adequate protection from bullys and attackers.
For a start I didn't have a say in the matter and some idiot in westminster does not live on the same planet as the rest of us.
So in essence I'm a rebel to the bs rules/laws the UK lays down.)
It's good to be able to stick 2 fingers up at the law now and then

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join