It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we. The Universe exist?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Well if God created us all why are we not suppose to know why, I mean isn't that our right if he created us should we not know, but then if we're not suppose to know, why do we have the intelligence to formulate the question, and can you formulate a question without intelligence, are we even intelligent by any definition other than our own, why are insects here, to feed on parisites on plants and other animals, and then feed other animals that in turn feed other animals, and so on and so forth.
thats the food chain, is that not a reason for us to be here, or is it that God tires of the Earths creation and we were created to destroy it but if thats so why did it take so damn long to develope the necesary technology and therfore the means to do so or is life all a dream and theres some bigger life or world out there and we just need to wake up to discover it, or are we all someoneelses dream and if so whos. maybe your all my dream or vise versa, there are endless possible answers to the question why are we here, and to that point is this even the question we need to ask to discover the answer to it, maybe theres a diffrent question to be asked before we discover the answer to this one, maybe there is nothing and we are the result of random elements in the atmosphere merging but if thats true what are the odds that we are the only planet with life and if god did send us to destroy the planet then its impossible to discover if there is life elsewhere in the universe because to that point there would not be any races out there more advanced because of the purpose of life and if there are then why is our purpose different than theirs. and what does it matter what the purpose of life is I mean are you not happy or are you bored or do you just need to know that theres a higher purpose so you don't feel bad about somthing, maybe the purpose of life is to die or maybe its purpose that drives us to do what we do I mean if a man kills another man and there is a purpose to life then was it not his purpose to kill this man and if so why is he punished for it, it makes no sense or maybe its the question that drives us, maybe the purpose of life is to seek the answer to the question, and maybe thats how we all do what we have to do. maybe when we die we wake up and discover the answer to the purpose of life, but in another world where the purpose to our life here is different than the life there. and then we have the same question again why are we here, it just keeps going on and on it never F ucking ends an endless cycle of Bulls hit.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
S'OK - you made sense to me

Why we're here...
Put briefly (extremely briefly), to learn and evolve. (IMHO)

I found this particular phrase and love to use it when i'm trying to describe what i believe:

This, then, is the framework of our evolutionary process: the continual incarnation and reincarnation of the energy of the soul into physical reality for the purposes of healing and balancing its energy in accordance with the law of karma.

That's just a little of what goes on in my head

Of course, i think not everything "out there" can simply be described with the language and knowledge humanity possesses now..

Make concious choices.
Evolve conciously.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The Universe came to being when Light and Dark were separated. Matter expanded and cluttered. Universes were born and countless Stars.

Stardust fell on Earth, it contained DNA from which ALL Life originates.

What we do here? Learning IMAO. Over and over again.
But hee I do believe in reincarnation 

God, The Divine, The Source, The Light, The Well of Eternal Love, He has many names, gave us a FREE WILL to make choices in our Life. We have to carry the responsibility of our choices.

We suffer bc our Ego is fighting against our Soul every day. That’s a Spiritual learning process.

“ View all problems as challenges.
Look upon negativities that arise as opportunities to learn and to grow.
Don't run from them, condemn yourself, or bury your burden in saintly silence.
You have a problem? Great.
More grist for the mill. Rejoice, dive in, and investigate.”
~ Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, "Mindfulness in Plain English"

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The universe exists for one purpose,it is a place offered to us by god to reside in while we are given the chance to reawaken our relationship with god.
We are here because we have free will.we decided to come here also we can decide to go back to the spritual realm.
we exist because god expands himself for his own pleasure.we are part and parcel of god.We are all an expansion of god himself but we have decided to forget this. So god has helped us forget and given us this universe for us to live in, all the time hoping we will remember him and start our journey back to godhead back home.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
we are here to die. It's the only thing in life thats certain. we all have purpose, like animals in the chain of line. we are just here to balance it out. consider yourself like another animal on this earth. things are easier to comprehend

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Read 'The Shack' by William P. Young - it probably won't give you all the answers, but that's kind of the point.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Well for one questions like this have many answers and angles/levels.

But, the answer you seem to be looking for is so obvious...perhaps thats why you dont know. And to the sheep....yes there are people on here who know...lots of them.

We are here....because......dadadaduuuh..........WE CAN BE.
What else is there to do? Just create. Create worlds upon worlds .....World with no end , my friend. So we explore those aas indiviudal spirits for a very long time. For some reason you have decided to stop off in the Eddie called earth for some time.

Consciousness is curious at wants to know itself....so it keeps creating unique worlds with no end to completion. Creation is not duplication...thats impossible. And yet, some things are so similar their differences might not be so interesting.

So we are here to experience the all of all....and by doing so we create a duality and experience what we are not to know what we ARE. In the absence of the not, what is..is not. IN other words.....heavan has no meaning without its opposite. So we go thru the cycle of ignorance to knowing...round and round we go.......

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
We exist for the now. The past is gone and the future is unknown. We exist for the now.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RaDios
Read 'The Shack' by William P. Young - it probably won't give you all the answers, but that's kind of the point.

Funny, my mother is reading that exact same book and keeps telling me to read it. Is it really that life changing?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

It's very deep. It explains some difficult things we face in life without being real 'preachy'. It's one of the best fiction books I've read in a long time.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pretty_vacant
Of course, i think not everything "out there" can simply be described with the language and knowledge humanity possesses now..

you put it better than I did

here here

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
this observable, material universe
is like a septic tank & all the bacteria therein are to us---
as 'We are to the spiritual and evolved Universe.

what's all this stuff that 'we' are the epitome of nature & creation ?!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
the only way man can understand the universe is to kill it. that's man's way -- slice it up on an autopsy table.

as an artist i create, and to me, creativity is the essential human element. to make something real from imagination...
'God' would be an artist, as he is a creator (no specific god just using the word as a placeholder). I create art to express things but i also create art because theres something i conjured in my mind that doesnt already exist. I get bored. so it has to be brought to fruition, and when people witness or experience it it adds to the thing's own 'life' because more people have put it in a space in their brain, and added to the pile of thoughts and ideas already therein. it might influence or change someones thoughts, wether positively or negatively, even neutrally, but still consciously acknowledged nonetheless.

when i draw something from my imagination i try and see the universe from that things perspective, or from its probable position in life if it were a physical entity. its escapism in a way, but its also a new perspective. being momentarily bored with this constant life i lead, from this vantage point behind My Eyes.
if we, and every living thing in the universe has the same basic element driving its physical form and making it a reality, then we are all from One. Which One? The creator, the artist. looking through each set of eyes, peering through each persons perspective on this world that exists. Not even necessarily a sentient Artist with conscious decisions, people say that art exists already and only finds its way into our world thru certain conduits, being the individual artist's hands and minds.

maybe the same reason some people smoke marijuana chronically.. to stimulate the mind and bring a different mode of thinking for a bit. IF i never get the stimulation my brain needs to stay interested i will find it one way, and marijuana is certainly one way to POSSIBLY do it.
and then i Might go and create art.

or Maybe just ramble on on the internet.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by kidney thief]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ravinsomniac
I know for a fact that my Wife's purpose for her existence is to torment me for the rest of eternity.
until you get a divorce or you kill her. wich ever comes first lol

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SRTkid86

That did clear things up considerably, thank you.
When I say there is a purpose to existence, I say it is to exist. I firmly believe in random factors combining to create that which is. Even though I believe the universe's beginning to have been planned to a large degree, I feel that evolution has done almost all of the work in the process of getting here.

A purpose is chosen. Maybe humans are an experiment designed to see what is possible from sentient potential. It is a possibility that genetic information was seeded on this planet once upon a time, but interference has not been all encompassing from our current recollection.

Perhaps many of the beings of myth who were referred to as gods, were something else? Yet, even if humans were given the purpose to develop in light of a grand experiment, that is external purpose. Purpose on an individual level, is purely individualized. One's path is specific to the person who walks it. No two Christians are alike, nor Buddhists, nor atheists, etc. I have a purpose. It was my choice, although I was given an option. Not all are so lucky, or benefited by it.

None the less, I agree with you that too many people are too quick to give credit to a creator, yet I firmly believe there are many (in oh so many different ways), but creating a universe does not attribute everything it creates to whomever ignited that first spark of the big bang (if that is how it really happened). Random chance is real and has many effects on our daily lives. No denying it. Purpose beyond simply existing is a choice as well. Even then people often choose not to exist, I'm sorry they had it so rough.

Thanks again for clarifying, this conversation doesn't necessarily require everyone to believe in god or whomever as a creator, it was a more basic question. As most questions boil down to, this one also boils down to personal choice.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Byakuya

I don't know

-rrr

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil Genius

I would second the Hitchhikers Guide, but would recommend the books more than the movie. Douglas Adams was a terrific satarist, and satire has a way of focusing peoples thought much sharper than any other thing, probably because it has a tendancy to anger people
Adams' satire on existence brings to mind questions and perspectives that normally see the light of day in a structured religion. And while Adams only conclusion is that nobody knows wth we're doing here, he leaves the emptiness ringing with the laughs of the journey.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Byakuya

Why ask Why? The reason for being here is strictly personal and is what you choose to make it.

People complicate things in my view, looking for subtle reasons, gods, invisible means of support, and excuses for doing this-n-that. Sometimes it is an avoidance of responsibility "the devil made me do it"...or "it's god's will"......the bloodiest of wars has always had religion at it's root. We are today in a religious war. Think how silly it is to say "my invisible guy is better than your invisible guy"...yet, after 2 thousand years we are still no further.

IMHO we start where we are and then our choices form us.

Maybe if you stop asking why you're here, you might ask, where will I go from here, you will see yourself differently. No less amazing, no less mysterious..

We are here, now. tomorrow is unknown and ithere s always a choice. It may only be a chouce "between a rock and a hard place", but still a choice.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join