It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we. The Universe exist?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GreyFoxSolid

Check out the "Was my grandfather a time traveler?" thread, the info in the book does offer an explanation of your perspective of time. Very interesting, if you are more concerned with possibilities, rather than precise and perfect grammar.

One other thing, conceptualizing reality makes it very easy to understand, IF you are using your own references and point of perspective. Cartoons, movies, books, and anything else can act as a deeper means to understand any concept you would like.

IF that is your thing. If not, then do as you wish. But, your experiences lend to your own understandings far more fluently than reading the bible, or the teachings of the Buddah. They help, but if you have already experienced something in your life, then it is easier to conceptually apply it to your own understanding.

Looking at why a TV character suffers can unlock a deeper understanding of your own suffering, if you can look at it that way. I know many people who just get pissed and say something to the effect of "It's just TV, it's just a video game, it's just a movie." Good for them.

We have all the information we need, right here. It is everywhere. Too many assumptions, and not enough conceptualizations are what brings about this suffering. I have learned much through media, and much more through contemplating how it affects me and what it implies on humanity in general. Try it. Or not, it's your life after all.

One last thing. Suffering in a dream is still suffering.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by GideonHM]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't think we have all of the information we need.

Psychologically speaking, it is near impossible to think of something that does not have basis from something else. In effect, if there are things or ideas in the universe that we have no knowledge of here, it is extremely hard to take those into account, because without being shown someone has to think of these things. Thinking of time as anything but linear is therefor very hard to do because we only have what we see, and we have been conceptually conditioned to think that time has an arrow. If it did not, such ideas as God and beginnings would not be necessary in some respects. That would change up some of the questions brought up in the op, I think, because the need to know 'Why?' might no longer exist, seeing as we might think it a pointless question. We would not have to ask why it was created if we knew that it was always there.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
How do you know you didn't exist prior to your conception? How do you know that you cease to exist when your body ceases to function. At this point in time, short of divine revelation, there is no way you can know.
Sometimes, we, as humans, have to act like dogs. We just have to lie in the sun, warm ourselves, and just beText.
And when we just be, we are. There is no past, no future, just the now.
And that is enough!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You cannot make a slave of a free man. THe most you can do is kill him.
Robert Anson Heinlein

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I am dreaming, and you are all but apart of this dream...

all of your existences are belong to me

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

correct!! there's no past, no future - just pure, simplistic, "now". "Now" is constantly changing - it's so powerful that it forces us to borrow from the past and borrow from the future just to feel anything in the "now". when you understand that time is just a reference point for our material bodies, and when you can learn to appreciate "now" for what it truly is, then you can start to get a hint of this vast, perfect universe that our Creator has made for us! try to get the idea of a finite timeline out of your heads - we write our own future and create our own reality, and when we all work together, we're capable of the impossible!

P.S. everyone needs to listen to David Wilcock's "Road to Ascension" - part 4 is especially eye-opening!
www.projectcamelot.org...

[edit on 18-8-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Why assume that there has to be a reason? Could it be that we, being who we are, need reasons for things, that our survival has taught us this particular skill, and we are incapable of seeing outside of our own 'box'.

We filter the universe through the filter of being human; for example, we have a numbers system, based on ten, because of our fingers and toes. We have eyes that see in the 'visual' spectrum, which means that other bands are less important to us. What would we be like, say, if we saw radio waves, or if our sight dipped into the ultraviolet?

We also have learned that it is in our best interest to survive, if we have some knowledge of how things 'are'. We are clever enough to predict certain events and behaviors to our best interests. What this means is that in the end, we reason that all things MUST have a reason.

But do they? Or could it be, that we as human beings, simply think that way? Why do we exist? Does there have to be a reason beyond, "We do, it somehow happened"? The universe? It simply is - there is no greater reason.

People also have trouble with the concepts of 'infinity' or 'nothing'.

So when told, "Everything came from nothing", they think, "Impossible! There has to be a reason!"

But does there?

Or if the universe is simply an infinite mechanism, cycling on and off forever, does there have to be a reason? Couldn't it simply /be/?

Is our experience of the universe somehow flawed by the limitations of being human?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
In this and any dimension / reality you are creation exploring itself. You are an aspect of the creational force with the ability to think for itself. In this reality your connection to this creational force is filtered through a physical human body in order to experience this in itself. Why? Why not, if you have eternity to do everything then you might as well try everything. As you and the coulntless other souls / aspects/ fragments experience your lives these experiences add to the knowledge creation has of its own nature.
Who created the creational force? We have a long way to go to answer that when most people on earth believe that suffering is part of a spritual experience. There is no god except you and everything else in the universe which is part of the same creational energy.

So have fun gods.

Peace

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Byakuya

I just read something that gives a very interesting answer to the question you are asking. It comes from a man who had a near death experience. Even if you are skeptical about these type of experiences, read this. It's very eye-opening.

www.mellen-thomas.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Yes, it is the same black cat.

And check your passport, it expired almost 7 years ago...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aislin
reply to post by Byakuya

I just read something that gives a very interesting answer to the question you are asking. It comes from a man who had a near death experience. Even if you are skeptical about these type of experiences, read this. It's very eye-opening.

www.mellen-thomas.com...

If you want to experience the same thing you can take N,N-dimethyltryptamine aka '___'
'___' is what causes near death experiences. Meditation also releases it in our brain in small amounts.
I say try 100mg. You will never be the same again

I trully believe the answers to the Universe/God are in Psychedelics and the ancients new this.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Long Answer
Because we are "smart" enough to be asking these kinds of questions.
Without intelligent beings inhabiting the universe it would not matter as no one would be around to ask questions.

Short answer
To experience it.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
you see, IMO threads like this are along some of the same lines of religion.

we don't HAVE to have a reason to exist, there prolly isn't one. it's a random set of circumstances that came together to make a random outcome, this is just what happened.

i have a hard time wrapping my head around the theory that there is some reason for us being here. it's like religion in general, except instead of sitting around asking why, like a bunch of pseudo-philosophers, they actually went out and made up some stories, and took some stories from other cultures. and came up with why they think we exist.

i honestly don't see the logic in this, no offence meant. but there is no reason for us being here, there isn't somebody out there who was lonely and decided to make the universe, our planet, or us. we are just the outcome of random events.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
To summarise "Conversations with God" and a few other wiser books, the answer could be like this:

There is only God. I mean physically (so we can picture this better) there is just one big nothing and just one being. It is. But it doesn't know what it is, since there is nothing to reference itself to (remember there is nothing else). So it creates (maybe just in its mind) other things so it can see how they interact and this way it can understand what it is. And why bother? Well, there is nothing else to do.

That is why we are all one, part of him or it or her, in his image etc. because we are it. By separating itself into parts it can understand itself and that is why we subconsciously charish to go back to the whole (heaven?).

That is why we have to go through misery and problems in our lifes, otherwise if everything is bed of roses, it will not understand anything about itself.

Well obviously there is the question where it comes from? But I guess that is beyond us to understand, even if we have the answer, which doesn't mean we don't have to ask it though.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This post spends way too much time trying to get across one basic idea. why do we exist and from what does existance itself sapwn from. Personally, I dont feel that I or anyone will ever figure this out on the scale we would all imigine and hope we could since the Universe is changing faster than we will ever progress or evolve. We cant figure out our own planet and you expect to gain some insight on a question that in all likelyhood could never have a difinitive answer since the univers and everything encompased in or even around it will have changed before you even relized you figured anything out. I am definatly not trying to bash the post, this is just a very blunt way for me to express my opinion that if we will never fully understand the universe why shoot that high. Why come up with embarrasing explanations, imaginary gods (not to say that we werent created- but Im positive no one on this ball of dirt has any clue as to who the real creator(s) could be -or have been. We might be a lab experiment in a petri dish, living inside an organism of inconceivable size, or some moldy food under some galactic sized teenagers bed).
I feel like we should spen less time focusing on the problem (why are we here) and more time with the solution (where do we go from here) The less of us sitting in sewing circles contemplating the errors in other creation stories, and more time exploring ways to unite the planet as a whole so that the technology will flow free and not be hindered by patents and secrecy. A world were the best technologies arent buried in a bunker underground because its too usefull to kill the other people coming up with ideas to kill us. Sure this is an over simplified utopian idea, but Im sure on some degrees it would work and in reality it has on many things.
I would love to know what this is all about as much as the next guy but the more time you spend your time with your head in the clouds, the more time you spend trying to work your way to an afterlife-that might not even exist, the more time you spend looking for an advanced race to come save you, the less time you solve yours and the worlds problems.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SRTkid86

Then why bother?
Think about it. Everyone else who disagrees with that concept can't all be completely wrong, could they? If you really think that everyone on this planet since the conception of higher sentience who believes that life does have a purpose was wrong, couldn't you give just a little more thought into your conviction?

Live your purposeless existence, it won't bring you peace. I'm sorry you feel that way.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
You want to know why we exit?
Or why we are?

I read the thread, not everything but i "overfly" it and I regognize that your question brings up a lot of more questions. But no answers...

So... I think,
We are, cause we are.
We life, cause we can life.
We dream, cause we are allowed to dream.
We think, cause we are born to think.
We love, cause we are made out of love.
We were borned, cause we will die.
Not more, not less.....

Blessings

Nia

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

i don't feel that it is a purposeless existence, i exist to make myself happy. i enjoy my life to fullest without having to worry about whether i am pleasing some make believe bearded figure in the clouds, or if i am serving the purposes of some higher being.

plain and simple, im not saying you are wrong if you believe that we have some kind of purpose, im simply saying that my opinion on the matter is that, we are the outcome of random events, and that there was no force in particular that brought us around, and we have no particular purpose, other than to survive, like every other animal on thid planet, or universe for that matter

IMO, trying to put a purpose on your life is a bit self centered. i mean, i personally believe we are not alone in the universe, so why is it that we absolutely HAVE to have some kind of reason for existing?

it's plain selfish to think that there is one being, or entity, or whatever you want to call it, somewhere out there that, brought us around, and us alone. and that he loves us, and us alone. it's just silly stuff that people who can't comprehend that things are random and chaotic and we just happen to be the product of very random events that came together, and agaisnt great odds we popped up.

i believe that our purpose if we were to have one, would to be pro-create and expand. and survive, like all species want to do. i don't buy into this idea that someone or something created us because they had some great plan in mind. that is the stuff for people who can't grasp reality, and i don't mean this in an offensive manner, there is A LOT out there, i mean to be intellectually honest here, there is most likely and infinite amount of stuff, and things out there. and it is very hard to understand, because Humans do not deal well with that kind of stuff. we want to be able to put a number, or a meaning, or some kind of formula to everyting. when there simply isn't an answer, or at least and answer that people want to hear, about everything.

i hope that kind of clears things up a bit.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
A book can ponder the question “why was I written”, but it will never find that answer because only the writer knows it, unless the book writes its own book and then it can it can find answers through relativism. Even then it is a subjective answer.

Thus people cannot answer the question on why we are here, until they create other people which we have done.

Why do we have children?

Because it feels good?

Because it continues us?

Because we love?

All good questions but in my eyes we don’t even know what we are. Until we know what we are we can not even begin to come to grips with why we are.

My two cents

peace

Edit: Spelling

[edit on 18-8-2008 by _Heretic]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well. I guess I'll chime in here.

I don't know why any of you exist. I know that I exist to observe, research, catalog and analyze.

So extrapolating that concept and applying it to the OP.... it means what someone else said here already; only you will determine why you exist. Then you'll just need to make the best of it.

-Euclid

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byakuya
The Universe. Why do you exist? What does it mean for us to exist? Everything we do everyday, for what reason do we do it all for?

Simple. The Glorious Soviet Union. The Universe knew that one day, a system better and smarter than Capitalism would evolve, and it did. And then it collapsed. But it'll be back. The Universe made itself a big bang so that everything could happen, and evolution could take place over ninety-four trillion years until humans existed so one day we could all live happily equally after on a planet totally engulfed in the ideologies and mind set that the founders of communism foresaw in our future.

It's inevitable folks: The Universe, big bang, evolution, Darwin, it's all for one thing: Equalism under the hammer nd sickle.

I for one can't wait.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join