It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we. The Universe exist?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
When we consider the laws of averages, and also consider the amount of space and matter in the universe, it comes apparent that despite the minute chances of life forming on our planet the chances of it forming at some random point in the universe aren't all that slim. We happen to be a product of one such random event.

I have studied the field of evolutionary algorithms in computing, whereby instead of searching for a result traditionally (is it 1? no, is it 2? no, is it 3? no) we take "populations" of possible results, and "breed" them together, based on certain rules, to form a new "population" of results which inherit certain characteristics from their parents. The results which are better, stronger, closer to the ideal, survive and are bred again to form the next population and so on... When we are dealing with a highly complex problem, this manner of working out a solution can be much more efficient than simply testing every possible solution for fitness (examples such as aerodynamics and routing algorithms spring to mind).

Taking these two ideas and combining them, is it possible that the universe as we see it is a matrix of data, of possible solutions? The planet we are on would then be a relatively well developed population of solutions, which life which started out as simple bacteria and gradually became more complex - and able to ask questions such as these. The rules governing the development of our universe are the rules of physics as we know them, it happens that for this particlar set of rules, Earth is doing pretty well at supporting a solution to the problem.

Of course this idea brings about many questions of its own, such as who or what started all of this, and if we are working towards a solution, what is the question? This is where the theory of a god entity helps us come to terms with the mysteries, as it neatly answers all of these questions with "Because God did it". In the past it was maybe the most elegent theory we could manage as we had little or no understanding of the laws of physics and the scale of the universe. Indeed, at one time we even believed the Earth was flat, as that was the most logical solution at the time. I feel with the aid of the knowledge we currently possess, we can move away from this simplistic notion of an omnipotent, omniscient god and start to think about our place here in a more evolutionary sense.

Is it possible we are on the brink of a breakthrough in terms of the merging of philosophy and science? We have never before been in the postition to not only ask these questions but to do so in such an easy and distributed way (i.e. I am in the UK but communicating with people across the world).

I could go on all day about this topic, which is of great interest to me, but I think that I have said enough here to be food for thought allready. I look forward to hearing your opinions on my ideas.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The answer is very simple yet all encompassing,

"because we can."

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
There doesnt have to be a special reason or purpose for the universe's existence. It exists becuase it simply does without purpose or reason.

The purpose of life though is for the universe to know it exists!!

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I believe that it is because of questions like this, that the universe is something more than just a cold machine in the material realm. There has to be an emotional element to it - otherwise there WOULD be no meaning.

I've thought about the same questions all my life, and in my humble opinion we are here because God created us out of love. "We" are now part of the greater universe, and each and every one of us are creating a continuing reality that is joyously becoming aware of its own self.

Enjoy the dance.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ok, dont burst into laughter until after you read this.

Life in the Universe is here as a cosmic "battery source". I said, stifle your laughter.

Now, the first image in mind is from the Matrix movies, but that it not what I mean. All sentient life has some form of conscious being. It is proven that very little of the conscious mind is used, leaving a lot of power to be burned up somehow. The cosmic body uses this power. For what, I dont use enough of my own brain power to even phathom a guess. When you sleep, when you meditate, when your mind, body and spirit are at rest, your subconscious emits the stored energies outward, being absorbed by the cosmos thus contributing to the ever expanding universe.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
your answer is here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

a quote

Darkness, also known as "Satan" or "The Devil," created the universe (and, this includes the higher, non-physical dimensions, too). He is holding all of us captive inside of it. The true creator of existence lives in a different realm--the True Realm. The universe is indeed a crude pseudo-creation, and everything in it is based upon programming (e.g., DNA). There is no programming in the True Realm, because it is not a virtual reality, it is simply reality. In the True Realm, crude concepts such as time, biological life, karma, and physics do not exist. Only Darkness, who is a pseudo-creator, would create a realm that is based on such things. Anything that is "technical" or governed by rules or restrictions (which, by the way, is everything in this universe, with the concept of "karma" being just one example) is crude. The True Creator does not need to rely on any rules. That is why this universe is the Matrix--it has rules. It is a virtual reality, as opposed to reality.

When one dies, then goes on to the astral world (the fourth dimension), in between physical incarnations, they are still inside of Darkness's universe. And, even if one "ascends" beyond the fourth dimension, into a higher dimension, they are still inside of Darkness's universe. The only way to get out of the universe and into the True Realm is for the universe to be destroyed. One cannot "ascend" into the True Realm.
The False Realm
The False Realm that Darkness created is made up of 12 universes. What we call "the universe"--the universe in which we live--is merely 1 of the 12 universes. Each of the 12 universes is shaped like a flat, 5-sided pentagon (the universes are flat relative to each other). The 12 pentagons (universes) are connected together, forming the 12 faces of a dodecahedron (a dodecahedron is a polyhedron with 12 faces, where each face is a pentagon). More info here.
"The largest of the pieces used by Darkness in creating Its Virtual Reality are universes. Universes are relatively flat pentagons. Every universe has its own multitude of dimensions contained within its borders. There are only twelve universes. Darkness connected these twelve universes together and formed the Universal Dodecahedron. The 'parallel' universes are those that are on opposite positions of the Universal Dodecahedron. The Universal Dodecahedron was set into motion and also spins 'perpetually.' It also appears to be a sphere because of its rapid motion" (Amitakh Stanford, "The Twelve Universes Are Pentagons").

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Vehemens

I love when people talk about God and how the universe had to be created by him. In that case I ask: And who created God?? Why was he given the power to create us? I'm sure God wondered that himself.

And if he wasn't created, and he simple is, then we can also assume the Universe can also simply be.

I'm with the new theories on this that say the Universe is like a giant Donut, but not just a simple Donut, it is a vortex based Donut.

And then one could logically ask who created the one who created God and so on... We are humans and we need the existence of beginnings, but that doesn't mean that the reality the cosmos is built in can be completely explained through our own finite and limited mind.

The universe could well be as God is, but the universe is just a mechanism. Humans are from their nature not mechanical units. They can transcend material reality and they do most often through the use of their minds. How could ever that originate from a mechanism?

For now, the thing I think I now is that we exist to experience and we need to experience to exist. To what purpose I don't know, but I personally know that there is a purpose which we will all be discovering sometime...

Alexandros

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by warza

Very true warza! I couldn't agree more with you!

Alexandros

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

I was thinking something along the lines as in us been some sort of energy for beings much higher than us, ones that we can't see because of been so much more higher than us spiritually.
Maybe when we die we take a step up? Go to this higher existance, and it reapeats from there on? going higher

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I've spent many years thinking about why we exist. the more you look the more answers you find.

Why do we exist? In the bible it say God created us for his pleasure. Simple as that.

Did we exist before being born. I beleive we did, in fact I think we came to eart through choice. I also think we knew the path we would be on, perhaps not in every detail, but we knew over all what our path would be. Its the only explaniation I can ever come up with as to why horrible things happen. We knew before hand they would happen. Upon birth we have a veil of forgetness over us and when evuentally through life bad things happen we wonder how God could allow this to happen to us. If we could see the big picture as to impact and effect horrible and nice things have on others it may make more sence. e.g. The horrible case of little Madeline Mc Cann, a parents worst nightmare, how could God allow this to happen. The effect this has had on my own life has been long lasting and dramatic, by the way nothing at all to do with the Mc Canns, but when my own 6 year old sometimes drive me insane, whicih all kids do. It has made me stop and be thankful that I still have him and my patients are no longer as tried. I also say a little prayer for little Madaline and of thanks.

Now imagine the Christain view of heaven. Perfection, unconditional love, now the only imaginable reason I can slightly comprehend why God would allow such a horrible situation as Madelines would be if before she was born she seen the good that would come from the situation and made the sacrafice herself. (remember we cannot see the whole picture and if this has effected my life it has effected countless others)
I cannot think of a bigger sacrafice than that of a perfect innocent child for strangers.

why would she do that. In heaven we have unconditional love for each other, we have no self seeking, pure bliss and love. Before we're born perhaps we see the pain and suffering on earth and simply want to help. Its does not have to be complicated.

I could go on here all day, I'm not a bible basher just someone who feels the love of a loving creator. Theres more evidenice that nothing should exist than anything at all. Stastics alone show we were created.

This is my 1st post and apologies for the spelling.

Sam

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byakuya
The Universe. Why do you exist? What does it mean for us to exist? Everything we do everyday, for what reason do we do it all for?

There's no reason for it, it just is. The universe exists because we (all conscious things on Earth, or anywhere else) exist. We all have points of view that collapse a quantum wave function with observation, and separate reality from virtuality, forward and backward in time, as well as in other indirectly experienced probable dimensions. All of the definitions from all points of view overlap holographically, giving the universe stability. When I die, the universe will probably continue for you, but the universe ends for me, and returns back to virtuality.

There is no reason for it. Not everything needs a reason.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by warza
I believe that it is because of questions like this, that the universe is something more than just a cold machine in the material realm. There has to be an emotional element to it - otherwise there WOULD be no meaning.

Would that be such a bad thing? I think we all make our own meaning, could be family, friends or sky diving. The universe seems to be just that, a cold machine, but a beautiful one nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Byakuya

We are looking for something..but what is this thing???freedom?love?peace? happiness? and how we can find it??where???
who is really happy??but always happy??
It's impossible..I know but why???
WHy can't hapiness last longer than sadness???
Why live without answers is so difficult???

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
My 2c;

God is infinite (ie. you cant not exist, think thats fairly proven as otherwise this post wouldnt exist)

I presume the why part is a result of human physiology, I have conversed with my cat on this issue and he agrees.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
There was a book published recently that attempts to explain exactly the questions you were just asking. I think it's on eBay, too, or Amazon or one of those, but the site is at:

www.transactual.com...

LOL, the first paragraph there sounds just like your original post.

Ever wonder about the meaning of life? Why we're here? What the Universe is all about? You're not alone. There are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of us out there. Just like you.

What if the Creator were to give you a "college education" about the nature of the Universe? What if God would dictate to you a book that would answer some of your deepest questions, including explaining the true nature and structure of the Universe, how to perform magic and manifest physical things, the nature of time and space in relation to consciousness, and most importantly, the absolute answer of Who, In Fact, You Really Are?

You have found that book.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
From all of the varying perspectives from members, you can say that there are many different reasons why we and the universe exist, and the fact that each one of us is telling you why, means right here, on this very board, the universe is telling you why it exists.

What other voice is there in the universe that is talking to you other than our voices? The fact that we, being part of the universe, can reflect on the meaning of our existance means that we do exist, and the universe exists as a thinking and self-aware universe.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
What a great thread. So very interesting. I've read every word. Am I therefore interested in philosophy? Certainly.

What am I doing here reading when I could be out there doing? Or am I doing as I'm reading - absorbing others reality as it were?

I'm wondering what you're all thinking this very second - as I'm writing this. Were you all still thinking about what reality is, or were you taking care of "more important" things at the time - totally disregarding this thread and the other people's opinions in it?

Does this thread exist when no one is reading it, or does someone have to be thinking about it or reading it, or replying to it for it to exist?

Do we exist to anyone other than ourselves if we're alone at the time we were pondering if we exist? Does a mentally handicapped person who has no semblance of "self" exist when they are alone and the people who know them are busy thinking of other things?

Does any matter matter?

What was physically outside the energy ball that became the universe before the big bang (if there was a big bang), and what caused it to explode? What is physically outside this universe - past its boundaries? Is there something outside our universe right now just because I'm keeping aware of this particular question at this particular time, and does it not exist when I move on?

There's always something smaller, there's always something bigger, and technology is becoming more efficient every single day. Who's to say we're not all some Sims v25.5 game in someone's futuristic iPod-size super-computer that they keep in their back pocket being looked at through some form of a virtual holographic projector linked directly to the optical cortex in the brain of this comparatively young entity (if they even have need of a brain)?

Were we all created by the consciousness of a once-living entity now energy ball being who was fortunate enough during life to have had all the answers which afforded them the opportunity to become a sentient star (our sun) and was self-charged into creating and taking care of civilizations throughout an infinitesimal eternity of which our 5 trillions years of existence just happen to be on this particular planet because of it's state of habitability just to move on to Venus when this entities brightness dwindles to making Venus more inhabitable by similar entities?

Oof...ouch!

Gotta go pay bills...after taking an aspirin.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Why are "WE" here? We're a product of a self-organizing and emergent system which was set in motion about 14 billion years ago that has just recently, to our knowledge, grown aware of itself. We do not know why this system was set in place, for what purpose, or by whom (if anybody). What meaning is there to our lives? We cannot say at this time. What we can say for certainty is, however, that the real meaning that matters in your life is the meaning which you assign to it.

I doubt we'll ever find an answer to the "big questions", but I also think we're quickly heading into a time when technology will advance to the point where the "big questions" will soon be the most important ones for us to answer. Unlike conventional questions, I think the answer will not come at the resolution of these questions - but the processes of resolution in itself.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Lasheic]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustTheFacts
God is a student and we are a science experiment.
Create Life, give them rules, see if they understand FAITH.
Let them do as they will. When the experiment is done, those that didnt' have Faith will perish, those that did will be preserved / rewarded.

Give them rules? Who gave us rules?

You must be one of those people who believe that the almighty God has been specifically involved with our planet and our race. LOL!

There are zillions and zillions of planets in the Universe, I doubt God is even aware of who we are on this little nothing planet.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join