It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phelps Ties Spitz for Golds at a Single Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Phelps Ties Spitz for Golds at a Single Olympics

voanews.com

U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps has won his seventh gold medal at the Beijing Games - by the smallest allowable margin - to tie U.S. swimmer Mark Spitz's record for gold medals at a single Olympics.

Phelps made an incredible comeback to win the 100-meter butterfly Saturday by a mere one-100th of a second over Serbia's Milorad Cavic. The 23-year-old American was in a distant seventh place as he came to the turn in the two-lap event.

The race was so close the Serbians lodged a protest with the Olympic committee. However, the International Aquatics Federation overruled the appeal and declared Phelps the winner. Cavic says he is very happy winning the silver medal. The 100-meter butterfly race is the first victory of these games in which Phelps did not set a world record, but his result did set a new Olympic record.

Women set new world records in the pool. Rebecca Adlington of Britain broke American Janet Evans' 19-year-old world record on her way to winning the women's 800-meter freestyle race in 8:14.1.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I heard the Mark Spitz is coping attitudes about the possibility of his record being broken, but I could find it on the internet. I heard it on sports radio.

voanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

join