It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is science having an effect on our spiritual self?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Let me start off saying that I find beleiving a big waste of mental capacity. Why not just know or acknowledge that you don't know? And indeed for me believing is not knowing or somehow knowing, it is assuming something to be true or false just because you like it that way.

With regard to spirituality, for me that is feeling one with the Universe. Enjoying the world's beauty and trying to stay as far away from uglyness. Now I know that there are quite a few people who somehow think that if it is ugly it is good, worthwile. Working your fingers to the bones, now that is something to be proud of and so on and on. Spirituality to me is also contributing to the beauty of the world in any conceivable way. Stupidity to me is the most ugly thing in the world.

As to technology, let's not confuse technology with science and what ever thoughts and beliefs scientists may have or not. Modern day science is the reason why I am not dropping dead at age 45, totally used up by pregnancies, disease and malnutrition. As with everything, science can be abused in a myriad ways. So? Am I going to use this knife to cook dinner or stab you? Just an example, you can watch tv like you can use opium or just enjoy those shows you really feel are worthwile.

To me spirituality is how you feel about life and the Universe.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by QueenofWeird]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
The scientific community is having a large effect on our daily life. We've known for a long time that we have a spiritual self. What effect does all of this advancement in technologies-- have on our spiritual side? Does it take away from our spiritual side and make us more tired? Would you say that science is dramatically changing our spiritual side so that we can no longer be as magical or as spiritual as we have been before and that it's even harder to have a belief in magic or in spirits because of science?

I think the answer depends on whether you ask a scientist, a historian, or whether you ask a layman. The historian will come down on the side of the scientists, mentioning all the burnings and torturing done of people who were handicapped or mentally ill (or "inconvenient") in the name of spirits and magic.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I think science doesnt hinder my *spiritual* side at all...in fact it makes it stronger! Instead of looking at the sun and believing all the fables that used to surround it etc...i can look...know its a star...in a vast sea of space with trillions of others...the right distance from earth ensures life could evolve and survive on earth..looking at the waves in the sea and knowing its gravitational pull from the moon...just lots of little things that make things more special or *spiritual*...then again,there are lots of different view points on what spirituality is...To me its being in awe,calm and having things in perspective about nature the universe and yourself... all balanced in equlibirum...course im still a long way from getting there

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I read a book by the dalia lama called "the universe in a single atom". He talked about this exact topic. Basically he said science should be embraced for giving us a greater understanding of things but we should not rely on "scientific materialism" for our understanding of things that can't be explained by science (spirituality). I basically agree. A good read.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Often, I meditate through music played on a computer ...

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I do agree that religion has caused many people problems in the past and has been used as an excuse of killing other people. Yet, I believe that people need to look beyond that now because we live in a time where people are more civilized and I think people should be able to believe in what they believe in. I just dislike how even in a country like the USA even here there are people that will take an ultra-denial-skepticism stance toward religion and spiritualism and will try to go at full length measures to try to prove religion or spiritualism wrong indirectly with the scientific method. I don't think that the scientific method is perfect. And I also don't think science is perfect and my belief is that science has too many questions unanswered.

Yet, there are people that think that religion and spirituality should be disproved. I just don't like that. They should coexist.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by QueenofWeird

Okay, science helps us stay alive, but don't you feel that it has in the past affected the way people look at the world and infringed on the beliefs on others? With the rapid encroachment of technology in our every day life sometimes it's hard for us to look past science and see our spiritual side.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Modern science even denies a spiritual side. It's just all about chemical reactions. A ct cannot show a thougt yet. But some scientiest believe that one day erverything can be explained as material phenomenons. For example the impression of identity, free will, belief, etc.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

How is science having an effect on our spiritual self?

It effects my religious beliefs.

In the past I believed without question. Then, as life went on, science was able to disprove a lot of what I believed in. (Noahs Ark, Adam and Eve, Exodus, etc). So I"m left with the REAL spiritual stuff ... without the organic myths to prop up the spiritual practices and beliefs.

Science has actually freed my spiritual quest a bit.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join