It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some wonder if McCain's too old and wrinkly to be president

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Some wonder if McCain's too old and wrinkly to be president

www.mcclatchydc.com

"Absolutely, he's too old. How many 72-year-olds do you know who can work a 60-hour week?" asked Karen Dunn, a teacher in this Denver suburb.

Paul Muller, a Denver laborer, thought of his father, who's about McCain's age. "Dad's a happy-go-lucky guy who's enjoying himself. That's what McCain should be doing," Muller said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is a serious issue I have highlighted in many threads here on ATS, that McCain is simply too old to take on the task of running the USA.

To often in his appearances does he look confused and befuddled. To often does he make misstatements out of confusion. To often does he say things like: "If I put in three or four 18-hour, 20-hour days in a row, I'm not sharp. It's just a fact," the Republican senator from Arizona said. "I'm more sharp if I get a little rest."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The bottom line is that McCain is OLD and it is really starting to show in a major way, both physically and mentally. It is a dangerous thing IMHO to put a man of his age in the most important office in the nation.

Something everyone should consider.

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The up coming debates and the whole campaign against Obama will be exhausting for even the healthiest man, and McCain isn't healthy at all.

He isn't as sharp as he was in the 2000 campaign and it's a wonder to me that he has even made it this far.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
simple things like not knowing the difference between sunni and shia kind of stand out, seeing as how he was corrected repeatedly, and continued to make that mistake.
then there is this whole thing about being shocked that young people today are paying for old people's SS now...was he not familiar with how social security worked until now or has he forgotten or had he never even heard of it?
just scares me when you see him over and over get confused or blatantly say things that make no sense. if he is not getting too old, he is getting too stupid.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Another example of our youth obsessed culture.

There are plenty of things to rail against McCain on, but his age isn't one of them.

I happen to know several above 60 types who work schedules that would put most to shame. Moreover, the fact that McCain HAS sustained this grueling election cycle ought to be evidence enough he can physically hack what most people can not.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

i know some pretty old, and pretty sharp folks myself. unfortunately, age is a factor. if you do not think so, ask your doctor. ask if you will be healthier overall when your age is doubled. ask if your mind will work as quickly. then watch mccain say completely stupid things over and over and over. he was quite sharp in 2000. i thought he was an outstanding canditate, back then. he falls all over himself talking and gets confused easily. are you really trying to say that age does not play a factor in senility, dementia, alzheimer's, stroke, pulmonary sytsem? yes, there are always examples of grandpa that is sharp as a tack and never takes a nap. mccain aint him.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by re22666
ask your doctor. ask if you will be healthier overall when your age is doubled.

The issue isn't whether one will be healthier, but rather whether one's mental capacity is sufficiently impacted as to render one's judgment suspect in the context of the responsibility.

Age alone is not determinative of that question.

watch mccain say completely stupid things over and over and over. he was quite sharp in 2000.

He said stupid things then too.
That, at least, has NOT changed. Your impression of how wonderful he was is colored by how the media spoon fed that impression to tweak the campaign drama. I always find it interesting to go back and read the speeches these guys gave years ago. See if your assessment remains the same. I doubt it will.

are you really trying to say that age does not play a factor in senility, dementia, alzheimer's, stroke, pulmonary sytsem?

No. What I am saying is age is not determinative of such things. McCain is a nut-job in his own right, and claiming we have arrived at these conditions in his case because of his age is utter nonsense.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by loam]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Another example of our youth obsessed culture.

There are plenty of things to rail against McCain on, but his age isn't one of them.

I happen to know several above 60 types who work schedules that would put most to shame. Moreover, the fact that McCain HAS sustained this grueling election cycle ought to be evidence enough he can physically hack what most people can not.

Above 60? When you get to that age you need to start being specific. McCain IS above 60, he is also ABOVE 70.

He is also the ONLY one of the two candidates who has had to take Saturdays and Sundays off to rest.

Do you think he will be able to take weekends off when he is in office?

Sadly age DOES play a factor loam.

As much as it hurts elders to hear it, it is the reality for most, declining mental agility, declining stamina, and dementia.

Ever had to witness an elderly family member having their car taken away? I have it sucks but as my grandma cheerfully admitted when the sting left, it was 'for the best'.

McCain has demonstrated, repeatedly, that he has issues with thinking clearly. He has shown and stated that all the hustle and bustle of campaigning is overwhelming to him and leaves him 'less sharp' and that he needs a nap.

Remember Regan slowly slipping into Alzheimer's at the end of his presidency and his wife having to cover for him?

McCain is almost as old as Regan was at the END of his presidency. McCain turns 72 real soon.

Have you ever noticed what being president does to a man? Did you ever notice the rather dramatic physical changes they go through when in office?

What do you think that is from? My guess is hard work and stress.

Now imagine what that sort of wear and tear would do to a man of 72....

Sorry Loam, this is NOT about being a youth biased culture this is about making sure we elect the RIGHT person, or the BEST person, for the job.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Animal]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Clearly age is important to you.

If (for you) some magic advanced number forecloses upon one's eligibility for office, then so be it. It would be no different than the half-dozen other unjustified prejudices many people vote by.

You're in good company.

EDIT: Since you added to your post....

Originally posted by Animal
McCain has demonstrated, repeatedly, that he has issues with thinking clearly. He has shown and stated that all the hustle and bustle of campaigning is overwhelming to him and leaves him 'less sharp' and that he needs a nap.

Present the evidence that persuasively supports your unprofessional arm-chair medical diagnosis.
And when you are finished posting all of the links found on youtube demonstrating McCain's age induced confusion, explain the underlying cause of similar confused statements made by nearly EVERY candidate that ran (or is running
) in this election cycle or any other election cycle.

Face it. You want to believe age is HIS problem because it is a convenient proxy intended to avoid meaningful debate on the substantive issues.

The alternative might actually represent too much work, or worse yet, contradict the conclusions you wish to be drawn.

Oh, and just to be clear... I could hardly be called a McCain supporter.

Personally, I think McCain's infirmities are ones of PERSONALITY and CHARACTER. The precise point I am making is that age has NOTHING to do with it. He's always been that way.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by loam]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Here is what I know of McCain- I have watched vidoe clip after video clip and anyone that looks THAT unnatural laughing gives me the heeby-jeebies.
Period. I don't give a darn HOW old you are!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

John McCain Says He Needs More Sleep

Please note this thread's topic is on a news story quoting McCain.

McCain Dazed And Confused (VIDEO)

Yes this IS a youtube video, but please it is clearly showing McCain as confused, age or not.

McCain: 'In the 21st century, nations don't invade other nations.'

McCain: Georgia conflict is the 'first serious crisis internationally since the end of the Cold War.

More evidence that McCain is having trouble keeping his facts straight? I would say so. Both of these threads are also based on news stories, check them out if you like.

This last one I will share with you atm is my favorite.

John McCain doesn't work weekends

Life is rough on the campaign trail so Grandpappy McSame takes the weeks ends off to rest his bunions. Honestly the man can't even work on the week ends and he isn't even president yet? How is he going to stand at LEAST four years of being 'on call' 24/7?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I notice you ignored this: "explain the underlying cause of similar confused statements made by nearly EVERY candidate that ran (or is running ) in this election cycle or any other election cycle."

This last one I will share with you atm is my favorite.

John McCain doesn't work weekends

Did it ever occur to you that his practice of NOT working on weekends may in fact have contributed to his health?

You seem to convert a preference into a capacity issue.

Life is rough on the campaign trail so Grandpappy McSame takes the weeks ends off to rest his bunions. Honestly the man can't even work on the week ends and he isn't even president yet? How is he going to stand at LEAST four years of being 'on call' 24/7?

Is that the crux of your argument???

Have you bothered to see how many vacation days BUSH has taken??? Or for that matter the number of vacation days of the three presidencies before him?

*yawn*

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Loam, just so you know, not convincing YOU that McCain may very well be too old for the job means nothing to me

You are obviously not worried about it and that is absolutely YOUR prerogative.

There are PLENTY of examples of the mans waining life-span and many of the people who see it - believe it.

new topics

top topics

join