It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter is going to explode??

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Jupiter wouldn't explode like you see in the movies. It wouldn't send out a shock wave either. There was a documentary on the discovery channel saying why some things in star wars, like the Death Star explosions, and the sound projectiles from Boba Fett's ship wouldn't happen.

I do recall that the show said that sound waves wouldn't do much damage, and that in order to see violent explosions you need large forces to create them.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixBaller04
Meh...I still read about it before, and it wasn't from a tabloid site. There's a real possibility of something like that happening though

No, no there isn't. Trust me on this one. It's a stupid idea, stolen from the book 2010: Odyssey Two, but without some of the important plot elements that make it contextually plausible in the book.

Jupiter isn't anything near massive enough to become a star, no matter what happens to it.

Pretty much the entire article is garbage. The authors show absolutely no journalistic integrity or scientific knowledge.

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
From that wiki link above

The Pravda is mentioned in the movie "2010"

Do we all know what happens in the movie "2010"?
Jupiter becomes a second sun.

Peace

Pravda used to be the official state newspaper of the Soviet Union. It's not exactly out of place in a book that INVOLVES the Soviet Union, written during the COLD WAR. Chances are, they've read the book, and lifted the plot to make an article, assuming that most of their reader base isn't well versed in cold-war era American science fiction. God knows it fits in with the rest of the bilge they drag up.

This project Lucifer stuff really takes the cake, though. It manages to be nonsensical in several whole FIELDS of physics.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by watapi

Oops, that's what I meant, 93 Million miles, or there abouts on average.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Ravinsomniac

NOW THAT'S SOME FUNNY STUFF!!!! You had me cracking up....THANKS!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
Well, the first thing that came to my mind was:

STOP.

DROP.

and ROLL.

Hahahaha I don't really think that would help.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
According to Bill Cooper, the Galileo Probe, which contains almost 50 lbs of plutonium will eventually fall into Jupiter. He goes on to state that the resulting pressure will cause the plutonium to go critical resulting in a large nuclear explosion that will detonate and ignite the methane and hydrogen in the planets' atmosphere. A small star is the result. I was wondering if this sounded like science fiction to anyone else but me. I dont think that this is possible.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
This Bill Cooper is talking out of his arse. The Galileo spacecraft plunged into Jupiter's atmosphere years ago, and the planet probably didn't even notice.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget

I always believed that this was meant to be a binary star system, but something went wrong with Jupiter.

There is nothing wrong with Jupiter. It simply doesn't have anywhere near the required mass for nuclear fusion reactions to start in its core. The mass threshold for that is approximately 8 per cent of the mass of the Sun. Jupiter has 0.1 per cent of the mass of the Sun. In other words, it would need to be 80 times more massive for it to become a star !

Don't believe the rubbish that is spouted about Jupiter being a "failed star". It isn't even close.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Mogget]

i tend to agree with ya.. jupiter is not a failed star.. it is a star full stop along with saturn.. the reason they are called stars is because they both give off a proton wind which planet do not..

although i am not sure if modern science has it completly right.. to best of my knowledge modern science tends to conect fusion with the mass of a body and that fusion happens in the center of a sun but the fringe sciences which i follow say the fusion happens on the surface due to the pinched current effect.. you choose which side you stand on and believe..

and just a few stats on jupiter.

Mass (kg) 1.900e+27
Mass (Earth = 1) 3.1794e+02
Equatorial radius (km) 71,492
Equatorial radius (Earth = 1) 1.1209e+01
Mean density (gm/cm^3) 1.33
Mean distance from the Sun (km) 778,330,000
Mean distance from the Sun (Earth = 1) 5.2028
Rotational period (days) 0.41354
Orbital period (days) 4332.71
Mean orbital velocity (km/sec) 13.07
Orbital eccentricity 0.0483
Tilt of axis (degrees) 3.13
Orbital inclination (degrees) 1.308
Equatorial surface gravity (m/sec^2) 22.88
Equatorial escape velocity (km/sec) 59.56
Visual geometric albedo 0.52
Magnitude (Vo) -2.70
Mean cloud temperature -121°C
Atmospheric pressure (bars) 0.7

Atmospheric composition
Hydrogen 90%
Helium 10%

peace

daz__

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Well, I guess it's gonna be another 2012 scenario. Speaking of 2012, if Europa's pole can shift like that, why is Earth exempt?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
It need an igntion source, it will require sevral tons of nuclear material o explode in the red eye area. Don't worry we are at a safe distance.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ParaFreaky

Earth is not exempt. Siencetist have proven that the poles have changes, shifted, and completely reversed, we re due for the next in 1 to 2 hundred years.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join