It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army: Mentally Ill Sent to Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It's hard to determine the bearings of this report, is this:

a) A valid news leak, with the rush to fill headcount requirements, some less than mentally sound soldiers were deployed

OR

b) A cover, one that is less impactful than the suicide numbers that have been continuously buried?

WASHINGTON, March 12 (UPI) -- The Army appears to have "inappropriately" deployed soldiers to Iraq who already were diagnosed with mental problems, according to documents obtained by United Press International.

UPI

[ more ]

More than two dozen suicides by U.S. troops in Iraq, and hundreds of medical evacuations for psychiatric problems, have raised concerns about the mental health of soldiers in Operation Iraqi Freedom. An Army Medical Department after-action report obtained by UPI suggests that the Army sent some soldiers to war who were mentally unfit in the first place.
"Variability in predeployment screening guidelines for mental health issues may have resulted in some soldiers with mental health diagnoses being inappropriately deployed," the report said. That could "create the impression that some soldiers develop problems in theater, when, in some cases, they actually have pre-existing conditions."

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This was just released BT and may be of interest to you or at least an update to your article:
ARMY ANNOUNCES RESULTS OF MENTAL HEALTH ADVISORY TEAM SURVEY

The Department of the Army announced today the results of the Army’s Mental Health Advisory Team (MHAT). At the request of the commanding general, Combined Joint Task Force-7, U.S. Central Command, the Army surgeon general established and dispatched the Mental Health Advisory Team to assess and provide recommendations on Operation Iraqi Freedom-related mental health services, soldier access to those services in theater and after evacuation, and effective suicide prevention measures for Soldiers in active combat.

Twenty-three OIF suicides occurred in Iraq and Kuwait in 2003, yielding a suicide rate of 17.3 per 100,000. To date, only one suicide has occurred in 2004. During the same time period in 2003, the Army experienced 75 suicides worldwide, including those in Iraq and Kuwait. The total Army rate for calendar year 2003 was 12.8. The overall rate for the Army is consistent with previous years; the rate in Iraq is higher than historic rates for the entire Army but is still lower than the rate for young males in the general U.S. population. The largest demographic group in the Army is young males, and young males are the demographic group most at risk for suicide,

To date, seven Soldiers have committed suicide after returning from Iraq.

Dunno what you think of this, but maybe it will be utilized as you may intend.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I imagine being in a situation for months on end where every day may be your last and you can't relax around the locals would screw ANYBODY of sound mind up.

If it didn't THEN they would ahve to be crazy....

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Just thinking of being in those soldiers' boots with my own present sanity, well, it can, I believe, make one sad.
A person doesn't know what it is really like to be able to commit suicide until one has walked in the soldiers' boots there.

My guess is that the numbers are higher for the suicide rate.

I doubt having stricter screening guidelines will lower the rates of suicide when the U.S needs all the people it can for the armed forces. Anyway, in the eyes of the elite, soldiers are nothing but tools, so there should be no crying over these suicides unless one wants to oppose all types of war.

A soldier goes in expecting to kill, maim and disrupt lives! Any other use of a soldier is a fairytale.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I read in the paper this morning that the suicide rate per 100,000 for young males in the military is still lower civilians in the same age group. but, sending someone already unbalanced into a very stressful situation obviously isn't such a hot idea. (actually, I was under the impression that if you have ever been diagonsed with a mental illness, you were considered unfit to serve in the armed forces. guess not.)

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I'd like to compare these suicide rates to those of other wars. Now I'm not knocking down soldiers, but is it possible that the soldiers of today are not as disciplined and motivated as soldiers of yesterday?

new topics

top topics

join