It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Pushes For Expanded Domestic Spying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

White House Pushes For Expanded Domestic Spying

www.washingtonpost.com

The Justice Department has proposed a new domestic spying measure that would make it easier for state and local police to collect intelligence about Americans, share the sensitive data with federal agencies and retain it for at least 10 years.

The proposed changes would revise the federal government's rules for police intelligence-gathering for the first time since 1993 and would apply to any of the nation's 18,000 state and local police agencies that receive roughly $1.6 billion each year in federal grants.

Quietly unveiled late last month, the proposal is part of a flurry of domestic intelligence changes issued and planned by the Bush administration in its waning months. They include a recent executive order that guides the reorganization of federal spy agencies and a pending Justice Department overhaul of FBI procedures for gathering intelligence and investigating terrorism cases within U.S. borders.

Taken together, critics in Congress and elsewhere say, the moves are intended to lock in policies for Bush's successor and to enshrine controversial post-Sept. 11 approaches that some say have fed the greatest expansion of executive authority since the Watergate era.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Now... could someone explain to me again how this actually relates to the war on terror?

When are people going to wake up to the criminal nature of this administration and demand (even if it is after they leave office) that they be prosecuted for their crimes?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Who`s to say he will get it done? Even you stated that he has no real power anymore.

"A lame duck president with virtually no real power left"

Remember that quote? It was from you. Myself, I believe this president needs to be raked over the coals big time, not only for what he is doing to this country, but for what he is doing overseas. He is getting into a bad habit of dragging the American people down with him. this government has overstepped it`s boundaries so far, it would need a pair of binoculars just to see it`s office door. They need to be made to stand before the people, and answer for the things they are doing. A lame duck president? Yea......right.

By the way, yes, I do agree with you on this topic. I just don`t agree that this president ia a lame duck president, he has given himself way to much power, more then the Constitution allows.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by FiatLux]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

You are right I did say that and for the most part its true... that won't stop him and cheney the dick from trying though... and that is what worries me the most... their covert tricks.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I see that i was late in my edit, you responded before I was finished, oh well. Anyway, I think your right, those two are like two peas in a pod. What one can`t think of, the other one will. It`s a shame, that the only thing Congress does about it is give lip service anymore, no acting on anything, just set back and say, oh, look at the bad things they are doing. I`m sorry, I forgot, it`s election time isn`t it? Their waiting for the elections to get over with before doing anything. In the mean time, down we go.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by FiatLux]

new topics

top topics

join