It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Mega-Threads" a Mega-Nusance!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
"Mega-Threads" a Mega-Nuisance!

I believe there must be a better way of presenting a collection of similar topics such as the: "Russia/Georgia Situation News & Updates" Mega-Thread: currently 254 pages and 5086 posts. Hidden within this mixed-up pile of notes are gems of information, but who has the time or fortitude to completely read, let alone digest or reply to such an extensive thread?

Personally (and it may be a bit of ADD) I cannot sit through more than 5-10 pages of posts at maximum. There is so much meandering and repetitive discussions; this becomes much more of a problem as the thread grows into a "Mega-Thread"

We must discuss new methods of breaking up major topics and eliminating these Mega-Threads which are overwhelming to say the least.

I also feel the creators of Mega-Threads are awarded far too many points for the work they put in to create just one thread.

I suggest having a system where heavily starred posts or posts which have been selected by mods or members as "featured posts" (ones with great informational value to the topic) be tabbed on the 1st page of a thread.

We could also implement a system of subfolders which would break down individual topics into finer discussions and subgroups.

These are just ideas to get the ball rolling. What do you think?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Thank you for suggesting this....there are many discussions here that I would love to be part of, but I feel that if I can't spare the 3 days it would take me to read all the past posts, there is very little I could contribute that maybe hasn't already been posted...and there is a lot of unnecessary posting on a lot of threads. It might also raise the game a bit, with people making better thought out contributions in the hope of being flagged up on the first page.

Cait

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Yes, I do agree about the mega threads.

When I read a thread and come upon a post that gets my idea across I do not post to that thread. Why post the very same idea or thought?

If I have nothing constructive to add to the tread then I don't waste my time or ATS bandwidth.

BTS is different. I do sometimes spew nonsense there.
But that is the place for that.

When I see a long thread I usually don't get past the first page because someone has already posted what I would have posted.

I better stop, I seem to be getting repetitious.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I wholeheartedly disagree,

Following the conflict in the two mega threads has been much much easier than to try and click on all the newly created threads on the same situation.

For the most part if one took the time to read the big threads, you would find that pretty much all of the information is in there in ONE place.

I would much rather read a lengthy thread so I can get the complete story start to finish.

Sure it can be a little frustrating to see some irrelevant posts as you read through, but those are easily dismissed as you continue.

As far as the points, I don't think that matters, a member posted a BIG news story, lots of responses, points are bound to come from that.

Good for the member I say

As far as moving the so called best posts to the first page, that would break up the flow of the thread in my opinion, why would you want to do that?

That would further disrupt the flow of the big threads, and why should we have anyone decide what is featured, that is already there as you look through the thread. More stars on a post means it might be a pretty good one.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this, no biggie, just thought I would offer a different point of view.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI

I suggest having a system where heavily starred posts or posts which have been selected by mods or members as "featured posts" (ones with great informational value to the topic) be tabbed on the 1st page of a thread.

There is something like that already, but I think people have forgotten about it.

From the ATS Big-Thread policy thread..

Thread Index: Members who would like to create a thread index summary of the important points throughout the thread should contact myself or Springer. If your index is used, you'll be awarded 100,000 points and your post referenced on the first post of the Big Thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's close to what you're saying?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The simple solution would be to have any important updates or posts that have been added to the thread, to then have a link edited into the opening post by a mod, a link to that post.

It would make navigation of these massive threads much easier.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Wow, that sounds like the best of both worlds

Thanks for that info enjoies05

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Love the mega thread. So much easier to catch up in a single thread rather than have to dig through 4 or 5 little ones all out of synch with each other.

Long live MegaThread.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I agree with the OP.

Threads like the Russia/Georgia thread, with thousands of posts and hundreds of pages, are incredibly time-consuming and intimidating. Who has the time to wade through 250+ pages just to stay on top of all the news and information?

Giving out rewards for selected members to go through big threads and organize all the most important posts into some sort of "Thread Summary" is a great idea IMHO

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Mega threads Love em

The Indexing would be great and as was pointed out a system that will earn you mega points is already in place...

Most people do not read the entire thread before posting... it doesn't matter whether the thread is 200 pages or 10 pages...

Also the main info in most threads is found on the first few pages and the rest is debate and discussion... (except in those threads that are following breaking news naturally where updates are daily)

I would rather spend time skimming through a mega thread where all the info on the updates is in one place...

There are so many times when an interesting topic is scattered in many threads on the same topic because people have not searched properly (have been guilty
) because of enthusiasm to post the news...

Then you end up having to jump from thread to thread to keep up with the topic and you find the same questions being asked in the different threads

Mega Threads

Indexing Key points

[edit on 16-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I was digging around in the old graveyard, and found this thread. Call me Jesus, and I brought forth lazareth, but this is a pertinent thread for the day, and age.

We all KNOW something will happen this fall into winter. Whether it is a megaquake in California, further crash of the market/dollar, or war with Iran; which the PTB are chomping at the bit for.

I like the idea of tabs on the front of a thread so as to make quick research for good information.

If we can clean mega threads up before fall, then we really might be able to help people who need it fast.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I attempted to create a Satire MEGA-THREAD about the entire age of Pisces (last 2150yrs) to show as an example of how ridiculous mega threads about HUGE stories which are crammed into a single mega thread of impossible amount of posts.

Age of Pisces MEGA THREAD - 138BC - 2012AD - All Info From the Last 2150yrs POST HERE

Im talking about threads that have over 30 pages.... or more so ones that have much more.

Like 9-11, or Japan Disaster, or BP.... These are topics which got their own forum. But still a few of the threads are MUCH MUCH to broad of a scope. They should have a system of sub-folders, and system of important posts linking on the front page of mega threads to help people better access the info within the MEGATHREAD.
edit on (3/18/11) by AllSeeingI because: added link

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I was just thinking, how ironic would it be if this thread became a mega-thread? Anyway, I totally agree with the OP as well. One idea I had, was to have a "master thread" for each current event.

It would work like this:

Something happens (Japan, Libya, etc) and the first person to make a thread on it, makes the "master thread" In this thread, there will be no conversation relating to the subject. There will only be updates on the event itself, with sources. If people wish to discuss a specific issue (such as how to solve the Japan nuclear problem) they would start a new thread, and put a link in the "master thread" and nothing more.

This way, if you are new to a subject, or just want to stay caught up, there is only ONE thread you have to look at. This one thread will keep you up to date on what is happening. It will also list the offshoot threads as they are made. This would give you the option to get involved with these related discussions by going to that thread, but not make you wade through 100 pages of that offshoot topic being discussed in the "master thread"

I know this would mean people would actually have to search before making a new thread, and that the moderators will have a little extra work deleting dupe threads or moving misplaced posts. It seems to me like it would just be a much cleaner way of organizing threads. So if I'm following the situation in Libya, the situation in Japan, the radiation situation in the US, comet Elenin, etc I don't have to read a ton of threads. I read ONE about each subject, which will hold all of the updates relating to that subject, but stay very short because of nobody actually discussing in that thread.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Mega-threads are great. I absolutely hate when new threads are created, with 3-4 posts in each. They could, and should, be incorporated into the main thread.

On the topic of Japan, I can understand when new threads are created for such issues as "Radiation levels higher than previously reported in Japan," but do we really need another thread for, "Japanese officials lied about radiation levels"? It's the same topic; it should all be in one thread.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
"Mega-Threads" a Mega-Nuisance!

I believe there must be a better way of presenting a collection of similar topics such as the: "Russia/Georgia Situation News & Updates" Mega-Thread: currently 254 pages and 5086 posts. Hidden within this mixed-up pile of notes are gems of information, but who has the time or fortitude to completely read, let alone digest or reply to such an extensive thread?

Personally (and it may be a bit of ADD) I cannot sit through more than 5-10 pages of posts at maximum. There is so much meandering and repetitive discussions; this becomes much more of a problem as the thread grows into a "Mega-Thread"

We must discuss new methods of breaking up major topics and eliminating these Mega-Threads which are overwhelming to say the least.

I also feel the creators of Mega-Threads are awarded far too many points for the work they put in to create just one thread.

We could also implement a system of subfolders which would break down individual topics into finer discussions and subgroups.

These are just ideas to get the ball rolling. What do you think?

I have to agree. I purposely avoid any post with more than 5 pages, I just cant take the time to read it, and so I do feel like I miss out on information I'd like to read.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I think it would be so ironic that this thread might automatically trash itself in some kind of 'does-not-compute' massive system error causing self-destruct.

I really like your 'Master Thread' idea. I think it would be a great compromise between both sides of the LOVE or HATE Mega-Threads debate.

It would eliminate the down-side of having to search for key information, replies, and trying to piece together a hundred conversations withing hundreds of posts and pages.

While maintaining the up-side of Mega-Threads which is the consolidation of all information related to a subject.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

I agree that it is a benefit to have a single thread with all pertinent info within. But even under the current system we have numerous threads which are legitimate, not talking about duplicates, and are related to the subject but focusing on a different aspect of it.hassles

I guess I am not against MEGA-Threads but the current method in which they operate.

Hopefully, in this thread, we can discuss a way to make them better.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by totalmetalI have to agree. I purposely avoid any post with more than 5 pages, I just cant take the time to read it, and so I do feel like I miss out on information I'd like to read.

I agree... even in MY OWN threads, when they get very long 20-40 pages... I find it hard to read through and respond to all conversations and inquiries in a logical and chronological way.

Wish there was a way for big threads to have a "key post" index which reflects posts which the thread author or mods/supermods/admins deem worthy of recognition and important enough to be linked on the threads 1st page. Perhaps in a header post below the initial post? Thoughts?

top topics

join