It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Between Asleep and Awake: Do you hear voices?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cogito, Ergo Sum
reply to post by ParaFreaky

This is how I see it.

These things (voices as we drift into sleep etc.) seem to come from the subconscious mind and are normal. As we drift into sleep we go usually from being reasonably conscious to submerging into a very subconscious state. This happens as we drift into sleep. This then plays out through the night as all manner of weird dreams, or for some it can be so heavy and deep that they don't even remember having any dreams. It is due to the subconscious mind. Some people can be more aware of the sleep process than others, and notice a lot more.

There is a reality to what we call sleep that most people won't ever really see because of the mind and the way it continually rambles on and creates dreams. But if we learn to go to sleep in a different way it is possible at times to go through this process conscious and aware, and begin to see the reality of it.

Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake -Thoreaux.

Sorry about the edits. I'm new.

[edit on 30-10-2008 by Cogito, Ergo Sum]

[edit on 30-10-2008 by Cogito, Ergo Sum]
Relaxing before falling asleep and being aware of the mind is meditation-one's mind has reached an "altered state of consciousness" thus alowing you to enter the dream time or astral travel in this realm -having psychic or supernatural experiences is not uncommon. It is usually in the dream state that our subconscious may or may not shape our dreams which reveals our waking reality.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
yea my mother has it too, she sumtimes wakes up and thinks im talking to her when im not, sumtimes shes even wide awake when it happens. it wasnt like that originally but now she hears them during consciousness.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I get this often as well when I'm drifting, but also when I do my relaxation (try to). I often hear what sounds like music in the background in addition to a lot of "voices".

I've often wondered though if it radio signals to be honest. The area I live in is HIGHLY congested with radio and cellular towers as well as a weather monitoring station and several sat stations, not to mention the YVR airport just across the river from me.

Never really attributed it to a paranormal or otherworldly occurrence. I'm pretty satisfied that humans have the ability to detect RF as an almost "audible" noise.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by justgeneric
I get this often as well when I'm drifting, but also when I do my relaxation (try to). I often hear what sounds like music in the background in addition to a lot of "voices".

I've often wondered though if it radio signals to be honest. The area I live in is HIGHLY congested with radio and cellular towers as well as a weather monitoring station and several sat stations, not to mention the YVR airport just across the river from me.

Never really attributed it to a paranormal or otherworldly occurrence. I'm pretty satisfied that humans have the ability to detect RF as an almost "audible" noise.

possible explanation. Has anyone gone in foreign country and heard such voices in the local language?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
i was at work one time , not where i work now tho. i was sorting thru parts and i started to fall alseep, then wake , then sleep, then i heard voices. many voices, like going to a party , when you open the door and hear all the voices at once. the feelling i got was a rush of happyness and not wanting to go back awake.
im going to try that on here. ask questions out loud when i get in that state. ill do this after work, i work a 12 hour so i fall asleep easy. i will try to stay awake and i will ask questions, about 2009. i hope this thread stays open so i can give my answer tomorrow nov. 4th and if not then the 5th. lol. peace.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I have a new one. This morning, while asleep, I had the distinct sense that a cat jumped up on my bed and was sitting near my face. This was one of those types of sensations that I get when someone comes into my room when I am sleeping, as I have always been very aware of such things while sleeping. This sensation of the cat sitting next to be as I was sleeping was extremely realistic, and I don't have a cat, and there is no way for a cat to get into my house.

I immediately tried to wake up, but it took me several moments to open my eyes, like I was reeling my conscious back from someplace before I could awake in my own body. Then, when I finally did open my eyes, there was no cat there.

Anyone else ever have this situation? It seems to me that there is a hidden meaning to this dream/encounter.

Years ago, I encountered a pack of dogs in my dreams, that prevented my from going to this girl, that I had recently ended my relationship with. They didn't try to hurt me, but in the dream they physically pushed be away from the girl, and prevented me from goin after her. I had a friend who was into the occult, and he told me that I had encountered the hounds of hell, who weren't trying to hurt me, but to protect me.

Anyone ever hear of this?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
I have a new one. This morning, while asleep, I had the distinct sense that a cat jumped up on my bed and was sitting near my face. This was one of those types of sensations that I get when someone comes into my room when I am sleeping, as I have always been very aware of such things while sleeping. This sensation of the cat sitting next to be as I was sleeping was extremely realistic, and I don't have a cat, and there is no way for a cat to get into my house.

I immediately tried to wake up, but it took me several moments to open my eyes, like I was reeling my conscious back from someplace before I could awake in my own body. Then, when I finally did open my eyes, there was no cat there.

Anyone else ever have this situation? It seems to me that there is a hidden meaning to this dream/encounter.

Anyone ever hear of this?

Very similar - I was keeping my girlfriend's (at the time) cat. It along with my cat were on the screened in porch. I laid down for a nap (I worked nights at the time). I felt a cat jump on the bed and wander around. I actually woke up and sat up to see how it got in from the porch. They were both still on the porch.

I sometimes hear voices when I drift off. Most often I hear music though. Music I've never heard before. But sometimes I dream music too..

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by spyeye

"Relaxing before falling asleep and being aware of the mind is meditation-one's mind has reached an "altered state of consciousness" thus alowing you to enter the dream time or astral travel in this realm -having psychic or supernatural experiences is not uncommon. It is usually in the dream state that our subconscious may or may not shape our dreams which reveals our waking reality."

Meditation is a very loose term, to me it is something a little different to what people are describing here. They seem to be describing more a relaxed form of awareness of drifting into sleep as per the thread title, though perhaps unintentional. No altered state of consciousness is necessary to enter what people call the "astral plane". We naturally do this every night whether we realise or not, or whether want to or not. All we need is the right kind of concentration and focus to do this consciously. At a certain point in this natural process our physical senses begin to stop and the senses of the astral realm begin to work, so it is possible to actually hear and experience things during this time that are not from the physical. What can also happen usually before this point is for us to be aware of all sorts of voices, shouting etc, sometimes even faces or images, which comes from our own mind, albeit the subconscious part of our psyche that we are not usually aware of. It usually seems incoherent, often garbled nonsense, but not always. This is something very common and normal and people could mislead themselves by believing it to be something psychic or supernatural when it might not be so. Though I admit that psychic experiences can happen at any time.

ps. Ever had a song stuck in your head after hearing it? Sometimes they can even seem to pop up from nowhere. Though it isn't exactly the same thing, it has the same cause. The normal experience of voices and things people sometimes hear when going to sleep are caused from the same subconscious.

pps. Spyeye, we are subconsciously influenced to some extent most, if not all of the time, whether awake or asleep . In sleep the conscious part of us is usually not very active, though it can be, which is what you would call astral travel.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by Cogito, Ergo Sum]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I can't say that it happens on any schedule...
Most of my life I hear children laughing when I'm in twighlight sleep(that space where you're almost asleep yet still awake)
Sometimes it's so annoying because it keeps me from falling off to sleep that I actually say "Just shut up!" My SO thinks I've lost my mind when I do that

I talked to my mom about it...she hears the same thing!
On a few occassions there have been other voices that call out our names right before we hit sleep.
I've also had the various other voice along with music and tinkling of crystal glasses...as if I'm evesdropping on a dinner party.
It doesn't scare me and most of the time the laughter is amusing unless I'm exhausted and they're keeping me awake.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
That is odd, I thought I was the only one. When I enter this stage, I can sometimes gain some insight as to how the mind works (I can actually tune into my subconscious sometimes). It usually is not tons of voices for me, but sometimes I hear a scream or a whisper, and that shoves my back into "awake" and the voices fade. I never remember what they say, of even if it is significant.
Sometimes I hear a thought in my subconscious, and if I try to run it through my mind (try to remember it) I wake completely. It is one weird state of mind.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I hear voices when people talk to me.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I'm glad to know it's not just me ! I've heard voices and music in between sleep & awake for as long as I remember. I also recently began to hear and understand the words spoken after working many years on overcoming fear involved in my spontanous OOBE's and what I thought were night terrors with paralysis .. now past the fear I can remain awake while OOB most of the time. I never tried to go OOB or Lucid dream , it just started happening and I had to learn to make sense of it , without being "insane".

Anyway.. recently I heard voices while trying to fall asleep and clearly , very clearly a woman spoke the words excitedly .. here she comes ! Which alarmed me and 'woke me up" , (I wasn't asleep but in 'sleep consciousness' ? ) I still don't know what to make of it, but I do feel we live a different life more real than this one, in dreams.

Namaste !

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gordonwest
I hear voices when people talk to me.

Yes well I do too

but I bet you don't hear those voices when you are alone in bed at night do you.....

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This started happening to me too, about 2 years ago.

It always happens as I am a second away from falling asleep or after ive been asleep for a few minutes. I hear a physical voice from inside my head- though it sounds loud. Sometimes its female, sometimes its male. Sometimes it talks back. Sometimes it says my name.

I had a disturbing two days ago on December 31st 2008. It was 4:30am and I awoke to a woman screaming in my head. I literally awoke screaming myself, and startled my husband to death. I said- dont worry honey just a ghost screaming at me in my head. I also wear earplugs so there is no way it was something i heard in the room.

This was my first scream, and it is a bit freaky. I did an EVP the following day and couldnt get anything from it.

Still- i think it is communication with the spirit world. I am a medium and get contact from them quite frequently in various ways.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I get the same thing, till I figured out that my own snoring scared me and woke myself up.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I hear these voices as well. For me, they come loudly. I began to question my sanity at one point, simply because of the evil in most of the voices. I know. however, that the voices are not my own. Most times they do not even direct towards me. The voices become irritated when they realize I am hearing them, and at times I feel as though they then try to attack me in some unknown way. When I begin to experience these voices I try to refocus quickly on another task, because falling asleep only brings horrific nightmares or migraines. Sometimes sleep is inevitable, and it is in those nightmares that I begin to see distorted images of those who speak. Cellphone? No. TV/Radio? No. I truly believe it has a higher truth to it. I have been experiencing this for 9 years now. 9 years ago I flat lined in surgery, and had to be resuscitated. Where was I for those 4 1/2 minutes? I don't know, but I truly believe I brought a piece of it back with me.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
this happens to me too.....
and only recently (within the last 3-4 years have i become "aware?" of it.

a couple things though...

I almost never remember my dreams. I remember a couple a year at most.

I have a hard time falling asleep laying on my back, but when i do, i know that i will remember my dreams somewhat , if only a portion.

I also know if i attempt to fall asleep on my back i will be in in the state of awake/asleep for a period of time that i will be aware of (this is when i hear the voices) and as i sift off farther toward being fully asleep, i can prevent my self from actually falling fully asleep. but this wakes me back up a bit and the process is reset and i have to attempt to fall asleep all over again.

I always assumed that the voices i would hear during this cross over into being asleep was my imagination related to the sleep state you enter before fully going into REM sleep, call it a pre-dream. (whats strange is i remember being taught in Psychology that the you don't even start dreaming untill your in REM sleep.... which is supposed to be something like 2-4 hours after you fall asleep i believe.. i dont know about that..)

Anyway. we all know that our dreams often can be bizarre and contain strange people/characters/situations. And since that is often the case, i assumed the strangeness of voices/conversations/ideas was related to this.

However i do like all the theories presented here and i think that that some of you may have it closer that you realize. With that newly in mind, i will try and contemplate this possible reality whenever i am in this state.

Thanks for opening my mind to otherly possibilities

I wish i could be in this state more often, i wish i could fall asleep on my back more often... but often i never make it asleep if i try.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

I've heard what you describe a few times, I'm glad I haven't since because exactly what you describe..

hearing voices faintly, as if from another room, not being able to understand them,

this is one symtom of older people who are beginning to lose their hearing, if you can not understand the voices, or if it sounds like a radio you can't quite make out, this is better than being ABLE to understand the voices, because not being able to hear them is a harmless type of audiotory hallucination created by the ear losing it's ability to hear, so it makes up for the lack of hearing with sounds that aren't there, being able to understand the voices is more along the lines of Schizophrenia, so I would be glad if you can't understand them.

I also have had an irritating buzz in my left hear since a doctor cleaned out my ear that had too much wax in it, and it was very annoying the first year, basically he damaged my ear, and my damaged ear started making false sounds, but I've programmed my brain to completley cancel out this noise by not focusing on it so I can't even hear it unless I try really hard, perhaps the same thing can be done about the voices, unless you want to hear them.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Anyone seen the movie "Knowing"?

I'm curious because that whispering in the movie is similar to the experience i was trying to describe. It's like a mass of people talking and on some occasions one voice will speak up higher than the other.

Usually it seems as if it is something telling me something that they really want me to hear.

Sometimes it is even repeated twice.

- Lee

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join