It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia must not be allowed to turn back the tide of democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Russia must not be allowed to turn back the tide of democracy

www.telegraph.co.uk

The presence of the leaders of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Ukraine at a mass rally in Tbilisi this week provides pointers both to the past and the future. All these countries were once part of the Soviet empire.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
All countries of the once Soviet empire have a fearful eye on the annexation of a large part of Georgia ; and the weak response from the west.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON

All countries of the once Soviet empire have a fearful eye on the annexation of a large part of Georgia ; and the weak response from the west.

It may be interesting to note that it was the United States (as usual) that triggered this Georgian Conflict. Obama is the next Dubya that the Think Tanks in Washington would like to wobble....for their pursuit of power. Democracy was never on their radar screens.

Master Plan or Screw Up?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Perhaps some other countries can help to persuade Russia that what they're doing is a no no.

I'm pretty tired of having my country (the US) is a war. This time I think that we should sit out and let some other countries that believe in human rights to step up to the plate and figure out a solution.

I know... Lets have Iran and Syria go twist Russia's arm until Russia sees the light.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The democratic process says that South Ossetia wants independence from Georgia. Back in November, they were pointing at the Kosovo referendum as precedent for thier own independence.

Just thought I'd point that out...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Yes, if large majority of people want independence, especially when ethnic tension is involved, there should be freedom. Georgia can be forced to let it go. But in less then a year it will be in Russia. In this explosive region 70000 people cannot keep independence for long. And Russia will never let them go, like they did with Chechnya. I think that they will prefer Russia over Georgia anytime, but still - it is not granting independence. It is taking part of Georgian and giving it to Russian federation.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
European countries will not do anything because they get 25 percent of their oil from Russia.

My family came to America from Lithuania. That was my grandparents parents.
My grandfather still speaks the Russian language as a second language that he learned from his parents.

They came her to escape when Lithuania was under Soviet Rule. To see these nations fall back breaks my heart.

Ama

new topics

top topics

join