It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Seizes Arsenal Of US Weapons In Georgia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Russia Seizes Arsenal Of US Weapons In Georgia

www.nasdaq.com

Russian forces have seized a "large arsenal" of U.S.-made weapons in the western Georgian city of Senaki including hundreds of assault rifles, a military spokesman said Friday.

"In Senaki, we seized a large arsenal of weapons including 664 U.S.-made M-16 rifles" and a number of M-40 sniper rifles, General Anatoly Nogovitsyn told a news conference in Moscow. "There were 1,728 weapons total."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.topix.com
www.godlikeproductions.com
www.vnnforum.com

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Hmm, I wonder what kind of weapons the US would seize in Iran? A few TOR-M1's, maybe an S300 or two?

www.nasdaq.com

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Hmm, I wonder what kind of weapons the US would seize in Iran? A few TOR-M1's, maybe an S300 or two?

www.nasdaq.com

Nobody should be too surprised by this. The american military has been helping the georgian military for some time now, all the way up to training them.

Thats what happens when a little guy makes friends with a big guy.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

I am not surprised. In fact, it won't be surprising to see Russia seize Israeli-made weapons as well.

War in Georgia: The Israeli connection

Roni Milo conducted business in Georgia for Elbit Systems and the Military Industries, and with his help Israel’s defense industries managed to sell to Georgia remote-piloted vehicles (RPVs), automatic turrets for armored vehicles, antiaircraft systems, communication systems, shells and rockets.

According to Israeli sources, Gal Hirsch gave the Georgian army advice on the establishment of elite units such as Sayeret Matkal and on rearmament, and gave various courses in the fields of combat intelligence and fighting in built-up areas.

It's those antiaircraft systems I have been trying to find out information on, but so far no luck.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I would not be surprise either, that is how the underground makes its money.

I read sometime ago a link to black market arms sell and Cheney.

Somebody needs to feed the regular population in small gullible countries closes to big countries of interest to keep the conflict going.

This practices has been going on for a long time and every big country does it.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Hiya marg, LTNS!

Well, I guess either Israel or the US have not sold Georgia anything too powerful, or Russia's counter attack might not have gone so well. Either that or Georgia was too afraid to use them.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It's not only what you have, but how you use it, if you get my drift

I'm sure Russia had a lot of commanders in the field that graduated from Chechnya conflict and who really meant business.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well big guns will be too obvious or hard to hide if they are of some specification linked to the US or any other of our allies it will be kind of hard to hide them, don't your think

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well I am still confused how Georgia could have downed the Russian aircraft that they did. Must have been those Israeli made antiaircraft systems I guess. That's why I have been trying to get more info on them, but they are conspicuously missing from the usual places like globalsecurity.org and others. Funny thing is, Israel otherwise has little antiaircraft systems, other than the Sparrow systems, which cost huge sums of money. There is nothing listed at globalsecurity under Israel and "antiaircraft systems". I thought that was strange.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Nobody should be too surprised by this. The american military has been helping the georgian military for some time now, all the way up to training them.

Thats what happens when a little guy makes friends with a big guy.

Yeah this isn't new news, US has been arming Georgia for years. The post should be changed to 'Russians found weapons used by Georgians in fight' or something equally mundane. For a sec I thought it was in relation to the humanitarian aid!!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

Excuse me but one of the biggest issues that the US has been using to vilify Iran is the fact that they are supplying "insurgents" with IED's and other weapons to kill American soldiers. So what kind of double standard is this? Oh, yeah, that's right- the Bush standard.

Gimme a break. :shk:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

That wasn't my point - my point was that this isn't new news. I wasn't commenting on the political ramifications, only stating that it has been common knowledge that the US has been supplying and training the Georgian army and that this post appears to be alarmist.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's what allies do, however the timing of this thread would lead one to beleive that the seizure was in relation to humanitarian aid, that is all.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

And I was actually backing up your argument earlier dude, that's why I quoted you. Spend time reading beforebeing too eager to criticise!!

Chill

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman
That wasn't my point - my point was that this isn't new news.

The fact that the Russians seized them is new news. I just found it and been following this story closely since day 1.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Well.....they are fighting a war, what weapons were they expecting to seize?

If a country has been supplying and training a country for years, who's weapons did they expect to find??

My point was that this post infers that the US made weapons had been seized coming into Georgia since the start of the conflict, possibly through humanitarian missions by US. That's what I read into it anyway.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

Hmm. I didn't infer that at all from OP. I had already seen videos of a Russian commander in an interview talking about withdrawl, and that it can't be done as quickly as people think. Part of the reason they are still there is because there are large arsenals of weapons there that need to be secured before they can just leave, lest they be stolen by the population. Obviously, someone just went through one of the arsenals and discovered American weapons.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

.... issues that the US has been using to vilify Iran is the fact that they are supplying "insurgents" with IED's and other weapons to kill American soldiers. So what kind of double standard is this ...

Indeed, i also see double standards. To compare Georgia - a sovereign nation and member of the UN - with what happens in Iraq between Shiites, Sunnites and "sandwiched" US troops is double standard. These US arms were sold before Georgian leader/s attacked and it was no different then,say, Russian arms going to South Osetia - though it is more problematic since peacekeepers nation giving arms only to certain side is awkward. M-16s were found? Wow. It is much more powerfull then Georgian ex-Soviets T-72s,SU-25s? Or maybe 2000 Georgian troops coming back from Iraq should carry with them AK-47s?
As for your previous Israeli anti aircraft stuff - i heard that Russian blame Ukrainian S-200 systems (with supposedly Ukrainian operators). I am not sure that it is truth, could be another attempt to create anti-Ukrainian feelings in Russia. Israel does not make (again, as far as i know) its own long range systems, but there is a spyder short range that was sold to India. I heard that Georgians requested Merkava tanks and anti-aircraft systems but were refused. So it is probably this one , could be other that i am not aware. I doubt that Israel can sell US Hawk system it uses.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Not surprised at all. Russia could invade just about ANY country and seize a large cache of American weapons. We are the biggest manufacturer and supplier of weapons in the world.

Exports for 2000-2007 in millions of US dollars.
USA - 52,789
Russia - 43,661
EU - 36,140

Military spending in Billions of US dollars.
USA - 528.7 (That is half of the entire planet's military spending)
UK - 59.2
Russia - 34.7
China - 49.5
India - 23.9

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This really isnt news as we already know Georgia has US weapons. This si only a story if these weapons were discovered as being smuggled in along with the humatarian aid. Is that what is implied here? I havent seen where that is specifically stated. Sounds like they discovered weapons that were already there in which case im sure they can find some soviet weaponry as well.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Not to be surprised at all, since this was a U.S. Franchisee Customer.

The Think Tanks in America

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join