It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question on Color and Size Codes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Once in a while I like to use the size and color features to highlight a phrase... but it does not always work...

I would say about 50% of the time for me it posts the code around the highlighted to be text but does not do the function

Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks

[edit on 15-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Not to piggyback your topic, but I'd say half the time the "reply to" button fails to work by not putting the reply to code in the post text box. Seems like there might be a small programming buggaboo in the system somewhere.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
If you use ' within the tags the tags won't work.

testing'

testing

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by UK Wizard

Isn't it any punctuation?

testing?

Edit: Nope.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by UK Wizard

Ah I will watch for that thanks... does that also hold for " ?

"like this"

AH I guess so... okay so only letters then thanks
Since most of the stuff I want to highlight is quotes that would explain it

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I would say that 99.9% of the time text should not be colored. When was the last time you read a newspaper or a magazine or even one of those book-things with colored typeface?

The primary reason text should be black against a neutral background is ease of readability. The reason you take the time to type something in the first place is to be understood - not to be pretty.

It is well known that even a reader with perfectly good eyes reads colored text more slowly than traditional black on light. A large portion of the people reading your posts may have eye conditions such as far-sightedness, color-blindness, macular degeneration, or even diabetes all of which can affect your audiences' ability to read colored and/or low-contrast text.

Use bold and italics if you want to highlight a specific word or emphasize another word or phrase.

For myself personally, I noticed that I tend to ignore any colored fonts. I read right over it like the text isn't even there. Not exactly your intended effect, right?

Jon

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
I would say that 99.9% of the time text should not be colored. When was the last time you read a newspaper or a magazine or even one of those book-things with colored typeface?

Well since most of my reading these days is online its amazing how many real news sites do use pretties and color to enhance the website...

The primary reason text should be black against a neutral background is ease of readability.

Well since I and many others have gone dark I see a lot of white text on black and even on ATS front page I see color headlines...

The reason you take the time to type something in the first place is to be understood - not to be pretty.

The reason that I take the time to post is to share what I am interested in and a simple look at my posts will tell you I go for the 'show and tell' format so pretty is important... and it has worked well for me

It is well known that even a reader with perfectly good eyes reads colored text more slowly than traditional black on light.

PRECISELY If it takes a little longer to read the highlighted portion... they might actually remember what was written

A large portion of the people reading your posts may have eye conditions such as far-sightedness, color-blindness, macular degeneration, or even diabetes all of which can affect your audiences' ability to read colored and/or low-contrast text.

Yes I am aware of this and generally choose my colors wisely
but those same people also cannot see the anomalies I point out on the Moon pictures

For myself personally, I noticed that I tend to ignore any colored fonts. I read right over it like the text isn't even there. Not exactly your intended effect, right?

Well for those that read right over it... seems to me they are not the ones I am trying to reach with my work
I am not here to please everyone nor am I here to convince anyone... merely to share my ideas and my STYLE with those who accept it

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Wanna try---

testing'

test again

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Well since most of my reading these days is online its amazing how many real news sites do use pretties and color to enhance the website...

They don't use coloured fonts in the content though. If you want to use colour for titles or headings, fine. In fact, I encourage it (see below). I am just telling you that you should avoid colour in content text. Not even the text below a photograph should be coloured unless the text and the photo are largely unimportant to the content of the post.

Websites use coloured text as titles or links precisely because the colour doesn't take precedence over the black text. A large bold black news article title will seem to constantly draw the reader's eye to it and make it distracting to read the content text. Whereas, a large coloured bold title melts away after you read it once - if you read it at all.

What I am saying is that using colour to emphasize something is typographically wrong. Colour actually tends to under emphasize text and that is why people use it for navigational text like links and buttons. You don't want the buttons or titles or links to distract you from the content.

Well since I and many others have gone dark I see a lot of white text on black and even on ATS front page I see color headlines...

True but the point is that the content text is still a high contrast and monochrome because that is what is easiest to read for the members of various different demographics. Not everyone has the best eyes, or for that matter, the best monitors.

PRECISELY If it takes a little longer to read the highlighted portion... they might actually remember what was written

If something takes longer to read then the odds are that fewer people will take the time to read it. I don't know why you seem proud of the fact that your posting style unnecessarily limits your audience.

Most of these tips I have gathered from the many graphic designers and artists I have come in contact with throughout my professional life. You may be a lost cause yourself (I will hold out hope!
) but I am still trying to help out others who may find this thread.

Here is one more tip for everyone:
Never, never, never, put red fonts next to blue fonts - it hurts the eyes and rapidly causes eye fatigue. Red has a different focal length from blue so only one font can be truly in focus at a time.

Jon

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel I am just telling you that you should avoid colour in content text.

Yes SIR Herr Commandant!!! But you don't have to shout I can hear just fine

You may be a lost cause yourself (I will hold out hope!
) but I am still trying to help out others who may find this thread.

Help? or dictate your belief... suggestions are find but your tone appears more "do it my way or else"

RED FONT
BLUE FONT
RED FONT
BLUE FONT
RED FONT
BLUE FONT

thats KEWL must remember to use that
Thanks for the tip

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Jeez guys. There's plenty to argue on the board(too much arguing imo), politics, 9/11, aliens, etc. Do we need an argument about bolding versus color?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Edit: trying a new code.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Edit: trying a new code.

Code works
Point taken but I just couldn't leave that one alone... I simply came to ask a how to question... didn't expect a lecture

I plead... "The Troll Devil made me do it"

Anyway thanks for the answers

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yeah, certain "special" characters (like apostrophe) in between the tags, cancels the tags.

Testing colored link:

Blue link

Testing small link:

Small link

Testing big link:

Big link

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Jeez guys. There's plenty to argue on the board(too much arguing imo), politics, 9/11, aliens, etc. Do we need an argument about bolding versus color?

I agree. I try to only post facts in an effort to help those with a lack of any design background but it seems zorgon just likes to argue.

[color=bb5353]Some [color=bb5555]people think [color=bb5757]that everything [color=bb5959]posted is [color=bb6161]someone's opinion [color=bb6363]and that nothing [color=bb6565]is concrete [color=bb6767]nor well [color=bb7171]tested. [color=bb7373]It is a sad commentary [color=bb7575]on the mindset [color=bb7777]of some of [color=bb7979]the people [color=bb8181]creating content [color=bb8383]on [color=a0a0a0]ATS.

Yeah, certain "special" characters (like apostrophe) in between the tags, cancels the tags.

Which character cancels the tag?

[color=334499]What the ... ~!@#$%^&*()[]`':";.,/|?+=-_ ...heck. None of these cancel the tag. The only characters that did it for me were the [] and \ which are understandable.

EDIT:
What is strange is that the above works fine in preview but doesn't work when you post. That could point to a tiny bug somewhere.

Jon

[edit on 8.15.2008 by Voxel]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
I agree. I try to only post facts in an effort to help those with a lack of any design background but it seems zorgon just likes to argue.

Perhaps if you wouldn't continue making assumptions that you know it all... you have no idea of my background

EDIT:
What is strange is that the above works fine in preview but doesn't work when you post. That could point to a tiny bug somewhere.

Amazing huh? Guess you learned something today

Bubye now I have Bigfoots to chase

TTFN

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

That Russian hat.... your killing me....

top topics

join