It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Texas school district will let teachers carry guns

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The biggest problem I had with allowing teachers to carry guns in class before I started drinking tap water again like some of the other posters is it sends the message to children that all adults should carry guns. Some of our schools already have prison uniforms for little kids who break their rules. They already resemble prisons. This is just continuing the trend of teaching children that they are inmates. What comes around goes around.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown
OK, I can agree that little prison uniforms are over the top. But that should be secondary to protecting the children. These guns are concealed and wouldn't even be noticed unless there is a crisis... when the guns start saving lives.

We're not discussing the wild wild west here. No six-shooters in a side holster. More like a .38 tucked away in a waistband or ankle holster, hidden out of sight, out of mind. I used to carry a Charter Arms 5-shot snub .38 revolver in an ankle holster at all times. No one ever knew I had it.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Again this is a free country supposedly. If you don't like the idea you can send your kid to another school or home school or move. This was a decision that was made by that community to fit their needs. I am sure the issue was fiercely debated and this is THEIR decision and they HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE IT.

The anouncement alone means the nutcases will go to a school down the road. No one knows if anyone will even BE carrying. The school is not REQUIRING teachers to carry. Heck they may be using the announcement alone as a deterrent and no one carries.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Why do you assume it is the tap water that makes ppl support being able to arm themselves for defense purposes. Take off the tin foil hat for a second and talk to us as though you are not completely retarded.

This has nothing to do with the tap water and you are a fool for continuing to bring that into this.

This has to do with the fact that a community felt that after following certain guidelines, the teachers had a right to have a chance at defending not only their lives, but the lives of the children that are in their charge for the better part of the day.

Quit being a moron and saying that those of us who hold to this view hold to it as a result of drinking tap water. Seriously, that has now become one of the top on my list of ridiculous things posted on this board.

*picks up her glass of tap water and drinks* It has to do with the issues and water is not the issue posed in this thread.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Could there be any safer sign of a society falling apart, then when those who are supposed to spread the knowledge need to carry guns?

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Daniem]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Daniem
I don't see this as a sign of society falling apart, but of a society coming to grips with reality.

Reality: There are dangerous people in this world who would harm others for no apparent reason.

Reality: Such people do not obey laws.

Reality: The only way to defend against such people is with like force to them.

Reality: Situations occur with such speed that those charged with enforcing laws cannot always react in sufficient time to stop them.

Ergo: The surest way to protect oneself from such people who would do harm is for every other person to be prepared to defend themselves with the same type of force as would be used against them. Guns.

Acceptance of reality is not a sign of a dissolving society, but of a healthy one, IMO. Denial of reality is a more sure sign that civilization is coming apart at the seams, for reality has this annoying way of getting in the way of the best intentioned dreams.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I do worry about a teacher "snapping" and causing harm to himself or the other students and staff. However, if that is going to happen, it will happen with or without an authorized gun.

The main thing in this article is a district that has decided that the current ways of protecting students (metal detectors, school policemen, counceling, etc.) is not working, and they want to try something new. I applaud the desire to not be another statistic simply because they did buisiness as normal. Their's may not be the best way, but at least it is not the way that has failed numerous times to date.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join