It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Texas school district will let teachers carry guns

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Right, arming whimpyass teachers is a good idea. A couple of tough
6th graders would have no trouble overpowering a teacher, grabbing the gun and going postal on the teacher, fellow students, and anyone else that
got in the way. I wouldn't even trust a teacher with a stick!!

Before you jump on my case; I taught school and coached HS and JC for a couple of years.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

I think you are too trusting of authority figures. I don't have a dog in this fight. I just feel sorry for the kids who will deal with an armed teacher who may not be the nicest or the sanest person. I'm sure teacher conferences will be much more productive. Who would feel comfortable disagreeing with an armed nutcase?

[edit on 16-8-2008 by eradown]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown
Ummm... you might want to think about not skipping your meds next time...

Here's an idea: what about the two kids who get int a shoving contest in the hall, and the teacher who breaks it up stabs them with a pencil. Years later the bodies have decayed and the teacher is diagnosed... blah blah blah.

Yeah, take the meds. You need them.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by eradown
Ummm... you might want to think about not skipping your meds next time...

Here's an idea: what about the two kids who get int a shoving contest in the hall, and the teacher who breaks it up stabs them with a pencil. Years later the bodies have decayed and the teacher is diagnosed... blah blah blah.

Yeah, take the meds. You need them.

TheRedneck

I see you have been taking your mean and hateful medication. I know inorder to approach your level of inhumanity I would need take hate pills also ,but I found that those who say the meanest and most hateful thing which springs into their brain become less and less wise. You will never change your direction. You will continue to hurt other people,but I hope casual observers do not channel your evil. I will ignore you always. So long!

[edit on 16-8-2008 by eradown]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is definately not a new issue. My husband was student teaching in Indiana in 1971 and got shot at in school. Austrailia banned guns and their crime rates sky rocketed. If you do not know if the person is armed or not you think twice. If YOU KNOW the person is unarmed you do as you please.

I have slept with a shot gun under my bed ever since I had some dude stick a gun in my face and rape me. I have not shot anyone but I have used it in "self defense" (shot over their head) on three occasions.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown
Hurt other people? I am arguing to protect other people. It is the closed-minded and hateful ideas of yours that have laid so many young children in their graves. I want them to live; you want them to die as they have been doing.

The status quo is giving us shootings or attempted shootings in school districts every month or so. Now one of two things must be true: either you approve of this, or you believe doing the same thing over and over will lead to different results. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

So, are you pro-dead children, or insane?

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Some of the replies in this thread are down right stupid.

You do realize any teacher who possesses a gun has training, correct? It's not like they just went out and picked up a gun because the law says they can carry on campus now.

What happens when an intruder/student starts shooting up the school on one side of campus, and the only registered gun carrier (police officer in many of your posts) is on the other side of the school? Sucks for the kids on the side with the gunman, huh. However, if a teacher on that side of the school, who possesses training in firearms, has a gun...less kids killed.

You people REALLY need to educate yourselves on firearms, because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

I am not trusting of authority figures in general, but I am very trusting of the teachers I am dropping my boys off with otherwise I would not be dropping them off with them.

As I said in the other thread that is of the same topic, if you don't trust your child's teacher, then why the hell are you leaving them in their hands 5 days out of the week for 7 hours a day? Would I trust my children in the hands of just any teacher? No.. whether they had a gun or not. I am selective with who I leave my kids with. Hell, I don't even leave them with babysitters except on rare occasions if the babysitter is a trusted adult family member or friend.

If a teacher is bipolar and likely to snap, they will do it with or without a gun in hand with little regard to permissions being made. You should always get to know your childrens' teachers VERY WELL!!!

Since I do know the teachers on a personal level to the point of knowing their families, I absolutely would trust them to be competent with a gun for protection purposes just as I know that I can trust myself.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Double Eights

Thankyou.

If all over the age of eighteen had military training and were REQUIRED to have guns this would be a much more pieceful country. THAT is why Switzerland was not invaded by Hitler, you get in trouble there if you DO NOT have weapons in the house. Compare their crime rate to that of the USA before you start ranting.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
What I find kind funny about this news is that my fiance and I were just talking about this. We are moving to Texas next year after we get married, a town just outside of houston, and she wants to teach with teach for america. She thinks there is a god chance she will bplaced in houston. I told her that if she is gonna be teaching in a bad neighborhood(teach for america sends a lot of their teachers o bad neighborhoods) that she needsto be packin. Now, looks like she might be able to. I for one support this. I remember mny times in schol, kids would get in a fight, teacher would try to break it up,only to get hit kicked or stabbed. This way they can defend themselves and other children. Anti gun nuts are always gonna be against this, so don't try and change their minds.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
WOW.. You mean instead of being shot at twice and knifed once..all I had to do was concentrate real, real hard and those misguided, unloved, miscreants would have recognised that it wasn't fair and not put me in the hospital for 4 months????? Damn, I feel so relieved that now I can be perfectly safe knowing that my chanting will save the day. Im so glad you had the time to come here and give us this fantastic knowledge.. Like Red said. GO TAKE YOUR MEDS!!!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
These threads show just how stupid authoritarianism has become. The motto of some of those who post pro lunatic gun foolishness seems to be "Show teachers how much you love them give em guns!

This is your brain on flouridated water. I just drank a glass of it. I see the logic of guns everywhere. Guns good! Guns Good! I feel so sane just like the authoritarians.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
For the teachers and staff to carry they must have a Texas license and no the State of Texas doesn't just hand it out.

To buy a firearm a person must go through the NICS . This is a national check to be sure the the buyer is not a criminal or has mental problems.

If you read the article the district is going to have training for those that are going to carry.

The firearm will be concealed, that is out of sight and on the person of the teacher and staff member. The firearm wont be in a desk or any where else for the students can get to.

I am sure that those that will have a firearm will be unknown to the students.

Roper

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Are you anti gun or just anti gun where the teachers @ school are involved?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown
My water comes out of a well, no flouride added, or wanted.

I never claimed guns were good, either. that's the flaw in your reasoning. Guns are not good, nor evil. People can be. Guns are a tool, for evil people to shoot innocents, or for good people to shoot the evil ones before they can do their evil.

A gun is a tool; your will is your weapon.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
RTFM
First this is a small town and the parents and teachers probably know each other well.

Second the teachers will be trained (see quote from article)

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and have to use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet..

Third rent a cops are not an option because this is a small town

.. community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

Fourth they are sitting near heavily trafficked U.S. 287 and given the escalating problems at the US/Mexico border they have a reason to be concerned. (yes I know it is far away, but still a concern)

In its public announcement released Wednesday, the State Department said "violent criminal activity along the U.S.-Mexico border has increased as a product of a war between criminal organizations struggling for control of the lucrative narcotics trade along the border."

site from thanks to ZindoDoone
www.cnn.com...

I think these people made a well thoughtout considered decision that fits the circumstances of their town. Isn't that what freedom is all about?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Pretty retarded.

They are carrying guns to shoot kids.

That makes them retarded.

Hire ONE police officer, this is just stupid and asking for trouble.
Teachers have gotten flat out dumb.

I can see it now "Teacher goes to lunch, kid find gun in desk. Acidentally kills himself."

Youre teaching CHILDREN, you should never have guns around kids period end of story. You arent a trained cop.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Memysabu]

It said they would be under strict conditions. Obviously the teachers wouldn't just leave it in the friggin desk

Originally posted by enoughalready
reply to post by Quazga

If you don't think that it will happen it probably won't. That is the only logical way to defend yourself. If you have a gun when someone else is on a killing spree it will only lead to more killing because you will have shot the person killing other people and that just isn't right. If you don't carry a gun and someone wants to kill you they probably won't because they will realize it isn't fair to kill you when you don't have a gun. All you have to do is think really hard "they know this isn't fair and they won't kill me or anyone else from here on out." It is the only logical answer.

You know what, I was about to go onto a huge tirade against you for that ridiculous post, than it dawned on me that you were being sarcastic.

Gave me a good laugh once I understood

Originally posted by eradown
reply to post by Cameoii

This is scary. I can see it now two kids get into a shoving match in the hall between class and the teacher intercedes with a gun. Years later after the young dead bodies of the two miscreants have long since rotted in pauper graves the teacher is diagnosed as bipolar. Sending your kid to a public school that allows all teachers to carry guns is literally playing russian roulette with the lives of your kids. I wonder if the school personal would feel equally comfortable dealing with parents who carried guns onto school property.

No teacher anywhere would think they need to pull a gun on two kids fighting

Honestly do you guys just try and think of the stupidest reasons for this not to happen?

They are allowing guns on campus to protect students from the freaks that go on shooting sprees. The teachers won't just walk around the school waving their gun in the air, shooting rounds off like cowboys

I know that sounds ridiculous but it seems it's what some of you are positive is going to happen

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown
These threads show just how stupid authoritarianism has become. The motto of some of those who post pro lunatic gun foolishness seems to be "Show teachers how much you love them give em guns!

This is your brain on flouridated water. I just drank a glass of it. I see the logic of guns everywhere. Guns good! Guns Good! I feel so sane just like the authoritarians.

I think you've had a little bit too much flouride as you've turned into the docile sheeple the gov't wants you to turn into

Of course guns are bad, you don't need to protect yourself, the government will protect you from everything bad because the government loves you!!!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This is great news. I can promise you that this will be one school that there will be no Columbine style shoutings. Arm the teachers and this will be good for the kids. Imagine if the teachers were armed in Virgina Tech or Columbine or hell any of the other 20 schools where numbnuts decided to go on a binge.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I can just see it now. A friday nite HS football game in someplace like Lubbock, about half the people drunk on Coors and Tequila, the ref makes a lame call and someone pulls a pistol. First thing you know it'll look like the Earps and Clantons. Folks in Texas take their football pretty seriously.
It'll be great. Thinning the herd so to speak.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by whaaa]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join