It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Texas school district will let teachers carry guns

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

North Texas school district will let teachers carry guns

www.chron.com

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I agree with the decision the trustees have made in this district. I am however glad to see a school district taking what they feel are needed steps to protect their students, even if it means breaking from the norm.

It is a sad depiction of the direction our society is going. In a perfect world this measure would never be considered. In this imperfect world, who knows if this is even drastic enough.

www.chron.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well I am an educator in Texas and as I always make sure that kids feel they are in a safe learning environment with me.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I'm glad to hear that. In Texas, we seem to be getting bombarded with news stories concerning educators doing dispicable things. I believe everyone needs to keep in mind that these "teachers" are abhorations in the field. They make up a very small percent of the people that teach with good intensions.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I wonder how this is going to jive with Klintons federal 1000 foot weapons ban. This should be the decision of the district, but who knows with Pelosi and her crap. She'll probably try to take away all federal funds that might help the students!!!

Zindo

[edit on 8/15/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Pretty retarded.

They are carrying guns to shoot kids.

That makes them retarded.

Hire ONE police officer, this is just stupid and asking for trouble.
Teachers have gotten flat out dumb.

I can see it now "Teacher goes to lunch, kid find gun in desk. Acidentally kills himself."

Youre teaching CHILDREN, you should never have guns around kids period end of story. You arent a trained cop.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

According to the article, the district is within the laws in Texas. Does anyone know how it plays out if state laws are in conflict with federal laws?

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

I don't know about this school district, but in the district my children attend, there is not just one officer, but an entire school district police office. I think it's simillar in other areas, yet there are still issues of violence on the campuses. It is not always the students that present the violence. There is also the threat from outside sources.

On a second note, the teachers didn't make this decision. They may also choose not to arm themselves, but now they have the OK to.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

Texas has the guts to ignore the Feds. States are supposed to be able to pass they're own laws. Who knows though, the way the Fed screw with things, they might try to make an example of the district. I hope not. Schools are going to be targets in the future whether you like it or not.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Wow...is it getting that bad in Texas? If the article said Detroit School district will let teachers carry guns....I'd believe it, but in a small community in Texas?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Personally, I believe that all adults should be packing.

I think this is a good practice.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
School teachers and administration are the last people I would want carrying a piece around my kids. They are more likely to shoot themselves or an innocent student than an intruder.

If you want safe schools, arming teachers is certainly the wrong way to go.
Hire a vet, retired cop or even a redneck to guard the kiddies.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I agree with you. Scary to think that a teacher could have a gun for the cited purpose of "protecting the children" when everyone knows good and well that it will be used for the wrong reasons. I couldn't agree more. Anyone besides the trained police officers should not be allowed to carry guns especially when everyone knows that police are the only ones who will use a gun for only the right reasons. Everyone else that has a gun is a fool and incompetent. These poor children who will have to suffer the ill effects of a very poor decision to allow the teachers to have guns. What's next? Let the kids carry guns?

I mean, I know they already do and that they have come into schools shooting and killing, but that should not mean that the adults should be allowed to have guns. That is just stupid. If a teacher has a gun and a student comes in and opens fire, more people will be killed as a result for sure.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
School teachers and administration are the last people I would want carrying a piece around my kids. They are more likely to shoot themselves or an innocent student than an intruder.

If you want safe schools, arming teachers is certainly the wrong way to go.
Hire a vet, retired cop or even a redneck to guard the kiddies.

I disagree. Here in Atlanta they just made it lawful to carry in public places like subways, parks, bars, etc.

As a matter of fact there was a celebration of the law where people brought their guns to a bar. And, the local authorities are fighting to allow us to carry in the airport (pre-security).

Now with all of these people carrying guns, I definitely want the people responsible for my child to be equipped. Otherwise, you have everyone EXCEPT the teachers armed.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by enoughalready

I agree with you. Scary to think that a teacher could have a gun for the cited purpose of "protecting the children"

So what do you do when everyone else in society is allowed to carry guns except the people responsible for our children during the day?

Just hope that nothing happens?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

If you don't think that it will happen it probably won't. That is the only logical way to defend yourself. If you have a gun when someone else is on a killing spree it will only lead to more killing because you will have shot the person killing other people and that just isn't right. If you don't carry a gun and someone wants to kill you they probably won't because they will realize it isn't fair to kill you when you don't have a gun. All you have to do is think really hard "they know this isn't fair and they won't kill me or anyone else from here on out." It is the only logical answer.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by enoughalready
reply to post by Quazga

If you don't think that it will happen it probably won't. That is the only logical way to defend yourself. If you have a gun when someone else is on a killing spree it will only lead to more killing because you will have shot the person killing other people and that just isn't right.

Uhm... Shooting and killing in self defense is very legal. As for "right" that's relative to your values.

If you don't carry a gun and someone wants to kill you they probably won't because they will realize it isn't fair to kill you when you don't have a gun.

Tell that to the Virgina Tech students and faculty that were shot.

Tell that to the Columbine kids and teachers.

I think you are delusional about what a psychotic killer thinks.

All you have to do is think really hard "they know this isn't fair and they won't kill me or anyone else from here on out." It is the only logical answer.

I think I'm starting to sense your sarcasm here. You actually believe the same way I do, but are using sarcasm to get your point across.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

This is scary. I can see it now two kids get into a shoving match in the hall between class and the teacher intercedes with a gun. Years later after the young dead bodies of the two miscreants have long since rotted in pauper graves the teacher is diagnosed as bipolar. Sending your kid to a public school that allows all teachers to carry guns is literally playing russian roulette with the lives of your kids. I wonder if the school personal would feel equally comfortable dealing with parents who carried guns onto school property.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Wow...is it getting that bad in Texas? If the article said Detroit School district will let teachers carry guns....I'd believe it, but in a small community in Texas?

No, it's not that bad. It's just that these people don't want it to get that bad. It's the concept of watching what other areas have done and saying, "OK, Virginia Tech didn't have any guns. Columbine didn't have any guns. The Amish schoolhouse in PA didn't have any guns. I don't like what happened there, so I'll do something different before it happens here."

Logical thinking. Works every time.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Holy hell! ARe you flippin' kidding me? As if that couldn't happen anyway. I can see how that unlikely scenario is reason enough to leave everyone unarmed against the likely scenario of some hormonal zit faced loner kid who gets a gun from his friends dads closet to go on a revenge killing spree.
Give me a break. Where do you people come up with this crappy reasoning?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join