It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US Military supports Obama!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
It came as a surprise to me when I read this article. I thought the people in uniform would be leaning more to the right but I am pleased to see that its not the case. I think it is a sign that the soldiers are getting tired of the unjustified wars.

www.military.com...

... Troops serving abroad have given nearly six times as much money to Obama's presidential campaign as they have to McCain's, the Center for Responsive Politics said.

The results also are striking because they favored Obama, who has never served in the military. McCain meanwhile, is a decorated war veteran who spent nearly five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. The Arizona senator graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and had a 22-year career as a naval aviator.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
That's good news. And I can understand why. Obama has focused a lot more on caring for them while stationed away and after they get out than McCain has.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
It came as a surprise to me when I read this article. I thought the people in uniform would be leaning more to the right but I am pleased to see that its not the case. I think it is a sign that the soldiers are getting tired of the unjustified wars.

www.military.com...

... Troops serving abroad have given nearly six times as much money to Obama's presidential campaign as they have to McCain's, the Center for Responsive Politics said.

The results also are striking because they favored Obama, who has never served in the military. McCain meanwhile, is a decorated war veteran who spent nearly five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. The Arizona senator graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and had a 22-year career as a naval aviator.

the troops probably gave to money because theyre sick and tired of fighting for war profiteers? And just because mccain spent 5 years as a pow doesn't mean he was a good soldier does it?. it means he got caught.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Good find.Strange though considering Obama plans on cutting military spending once he gets in apparently.Im not sure if cutting the military would be a wise move.The US military needs a rest and refit,but im no strategist.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
That is a lie. I am in the Military and can tell you that whoever is making the statement about the Military supporting him is trying to mislead the public.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Great! Now if we have an extremely close election, maybe the Democrats will count the votes of the military......Unlike the 2000 Elections!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justice11
Good find.Strange though considering Obama plans on cutting military spending once he gets in apparently.Im not sure if cutting the military would be a wise move.The US military needs a rest and refit,but im no strategist.

Obama actually plans to increase the size of the military and cut only the needless spending (The Pentagon buys useless airplane parts so contractors will keep selling to them. Did you know?). Whether or not that's good is a matter of opinion.

This is not surprise, our troops have been seeing through the GOP's lies since the start of this election season. Ron Paul got the most donations from the military during the primaries.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Anonymous, if you really were in the military you would know that Military.com is no BS. And nobody is misleading anybody, the numbers are there. And what people say in front of others and how they vote is a different picture you know.

The contractors are a huge part in the Defense budget. Unnecessary huge amount of money are being spent I am certain. Too much corruption at every level, including congress. I wonder if Obma can stop the industrial military complex. Anyways kudos for trying!

[edit on 15-8-2008 by TheOracle]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

I respect your source but do find your title misleading. It should say the US military supports Obama financially. Just because he is getting more money doesn't mean that the entire US Military support him overall. I'm sure this was not your intention.

The 6 to 1 ratio also only applies to troops overseas. We are also only talking about 323 donations made to all candidates.

A former West Point professor, Jason Dempsey, noted that the small set of contributions from deployed troops at this point in 2008 -- just 323 donations -- should not be extrapolated to form conclusions about military personnel overall. "If, on a bad day, a guy gets that letter that says [his tour has been extended] from 12 to 15 months, that could spur a quick donation and expression of anger," he said. "Donating helps members of the military express their political views privately."

source

The news was surprising to me also until I read more on it. Most military people are apolitical. In large part due to the constraints put on them by the higher ups. Their freedom of speech is very limited. In the end their vote will speak for them. Regardless of who they favor, I support the US military 100%.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justice11

1.) i will refer you to this post The Quadrennial Exploitation Of The Moronic Masses with distinct reference to this plea contained within the aforementioned thread:

-*- patently false information about candidates presented as truth

2.) And then i will show you why you are so wrong

Barack Obama's plans for the defense of The United States

more pointedly -

nvest in a 21st Century Military

* Rebuild the Military for 21st Century Tasks: As we rebuild our armed forces, we must not simply recreate the military of the Cold War era. Obama believes that we must build up our special operations forces, civil affairs, information operations, and other units and capabilities that remain in chronic short supply; invest in foreign language training, cultural awareness, and human intelligence and other needed counterinsurgency and stabilization skill sets; and create a more robust capacity to train, equip, and advise foreign security forces, so that local allies are better prepared to confront mutual threats.
* Expand to Meet Military Needs on the Ground: Barack Obama supports plans to increase the size of the Army by 65,000 soldiers and the Marines by 27,000 troops. Increasing our end strength will help units retrain and re-equip properly between deployments and decrease the strain on military families.
* Leadership from the Top: Barack Obama will restore the ethic of public service to the agenda of today's youth, whether it be serving their local communities in such roles as teachers or first responders, or serving in the military to keep our nation free and safe.
* Lighten the Burdens on Our Brave Troops and Their Families: An Obama administration will create a Military Families Advisory Board to provide a conduit for military families' concerns to be brought to the attention of senior policymakers and the public. Obama will end the Bush administration's stop-loss policy and establish predictability in deployments so that active duty and reserves know what they can and must expect.

Build Defense Capabilities for the 21st Century

* Fully Equip Our Troops for the Missions They Face: Barack Obama believes we must get vitally needed equipment to our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines before lives are lost. We cannot repeat such failures as the delays in deployment of armored vehicles, body armor and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles that save lives on the frontlines.
* Review Weapons Programs: We must rebalance our capabilities to ensure that our forces have the agility and lethality to succeed in both conventional wars and in stabilization and counter-insurgency operations. Obama has committed to a review of each major defense program in light of current needs, gaps in the field, and likely future threat scenarios in the post-9/11 world.
* Preserve Global Reach in the Air: We must preserve our unparalleled airpower capabilities to deter and defeat any conventional competitors, swiftly respond to crises across the globe, and support our ground forces. We need greater investment in advanced technology ranging from the revolutionary, like Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and electronic warfare capabilities, to essential systems like the C-17 cargo and KC-X air refueling aircraft, which provide the backbone of our ability to extend global power.
* Maintain Power Projection at Sea: We must recapitalize our naval forces, replacing aging ships and modernizing existing platforms, while adapting them to the 21st century. Obama will add to the Maritime Pre-Positioning Force Squadrons to support operations ashore and invest in smaller, more capable ships, providing the agility to operate close to shore and the reach to rapidly deploy Marines to global crises.
* National Missile Defense: An Obama administration will support missile defense, but ensure that it is developed in a way that is pragmatic and cost-effective; and, most importantly, does not divert resources from other national security priorities until we are positive the technology will protect the American public.
* Ensure Freedom of Space: An Obama administration will restore American leadership on space issues, seeking a worldwide ban on weapons that interfere with military and commercial satellites. He will thoroughly assess possible threats to U.S. space assets and the best options, military and diplomatic, for countering them, establishing contingency plans to ensure that U.S. forces can maintain or duplicate access to information from space assets and accelerating programs to harden U.S. satellites against attack.
* Protect the U.S in Cyberspace: An Obama administration will work in cooperation with our allies and the private sector to identify and protect against emerging cyber-threats.

Restore the Readiness of the National Guard and Reserves

* Barack Obama will provide the National Guard with the equipment it needs for foreign and domestic emergencies and time to restore and refit before deploying. He will make the head of the National Guard a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to ensure concerns of our citizen soldiers reach the level they mandate. He will ensure that reservists and Guard members are treated fairly when it comes to employment, health, and education benefits.

(from link above)

So, unless we live in "backwards land" - please tell me how you can make the claim - without even giving us "proof" of your bogus claim - that Barack Obama wants to "scale down" the military.

I EAGERLY await your reply.

[edit on 8/15/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

The report tracked donations of $200 or more. It found that 859 members of the military donated a total of $335,536 to Obama. McCain received $280,513 from 558 military donors.

Among Soldiers serving overseas at the time of their donations, 134 gave a total of $60,642 to Obama while 26 gave a total of $10,665 to McCain. That was less than the amount received by Republican Ron Paul, who collected $45,512 from 99 Soldiers serving abroad, the report said.

Is this really telling of ANYTHING? What about all those THOUSANDS who have not donated anything. Maybe they are all voting for McCain and just didnt donate? I havent donated a penny to ANYONE. Never have, probably never will.

I am surrounded by military all the time....and I dont know a single person voting for Obama. Most I talk to cant stand him. So can I assume then that most of the military cant stand Obama based on my personal observation?

Tracking the donations of 993 military members in a military of thousands and thousands and thousands, really doesnt proove anything to me

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Let's not forget that this is the same man that would get troops out by 2013!

Wait... 2013? Isn't that a year after the end of his first term as president?

How strategic. Even though an Iraqi council has deemed 2010 to be the year when all troops are out of Iraq, except in the embassy and military bases.

I would never vote for a man who chooses his well being and standing over the immediate withdrawal of American men and women. I don't know how everyone is so taken by this see through politician.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Since the office of his successor would not take effect until jan 20th, 2013, it would, indeed, be sufficient to say "out by 2013"

BY 2013

doesnt mean "IN" 2013

If you say "ill be out by monday" that means you have X number of days to get out BY monday

If today is Friday - you have friday+saturday+sunday+monday if you are to be out BY monday.

If it lapses into tuesday - you've broken your promise.

To be out by 2013 is still within the term limits of a potential Obama presidency.

Will he actually carry through? I think he will, but i can't prove it.

I just wanted to point out the mistake you made
Just so you understand what Obama is trying to say

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
McCain clearly intends to bring on more oil wars, the very fact he wants to keep troops in Iraq with no reason why we're in there in the first place may be an indication of why some soldiers turning their backs. People are sick and tired of rightwing chickenhawks like Bush, Cheney, Limbaugh and all those other "support the troops, support more wars but dont support the GI bill" hypocrites..

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
That's what I'm saying, homeslice. How do you think Americans are going to vote if they see their brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, cousins coming home at the end of his term? Re-election? As I said before. No way in hell I will vote, or be okay with a president that is going to play politics while my friends are in operation human shield.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
That seems like an incredibly small sample. I wish I knew more about the sample and the politics behind the organization doing the poll. I heard it on some news channel today and forget who they cited but it wasn't military.com. For all we know the sample could have been taken from the Illinois National Guard while deployed.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
That's good news. And I can understand why. Obama has focused a lot more on caring for them while stationed away and after they get out than McCain has.

He only cares when theres a camera handy

Hello everyone,

As you know I am not a very political person. I just
wanted to pass along that Senator Obama came to Bagram Afghanistan for
about an hour on his visit to "The War Zone". I wanted to share with you
what happened. He got off the plane and got into a bullet proof vehicle, got
to the area to meet with the Major General (2 Star) who is the commander
here at Bagram. As the Soldiers where lined up to shake his hand he blew
them off and didn't say a word as he went into the conference room to meet
the General. As he finished, the vehicles took him to the ClamShell (pretty
much a big top tent that military personnel can play basketball or work out
in with weights) so he could take his publicity pictures playing
basketball. He again shunned the opportunity to talk to Soldiers to thank
them for their service. So really he was just here to make a showing for
the Americans back home that he is their candidate for President. I think
that if you are going to make an effort to come all the way over here you
would thank those that are providing the freedom that they are providing
for you. I swear we got more thanks from the NBA Basketball Players or the
Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders than from one of the Senators, who wants to be
the President of the United States . I just don't understand how anyone
would want him to be our Commander-and-Chief. It was almost that he was
scared to be around those that provide the freedom for him and our great
country.
If this is blunt and to the point I am sorry but I
wanted you all to know what kind of caliber of person he really is. What
you see in the news is all fake.

In service,
CPT Jeffrey S. Porter
Battle Captain
TF Wasatch
American Soldier

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Sounds to me like some of our younger troops are caught up in Rockstar Obama's "Obama-mania" tripe. I really doubt our military would openly fall for him. I personally know far more troops who think he is a BS artist!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Something is fishy about this. I think parents are donating for the kids on the ground. I had dinner with 3 guys from 7th group and they told me about seeing McCain bumper stickers in Iraq.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Your title is totally misleading, uninformed and propagandistic. Hope that was not your intention.

The US Military is an amalgamate of various institutions that are represented by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, one for each branch, and that, constitutionally are forbidden from any political activity while still in Uniform. I think what you meant to say was "Some American Soldiers Are Financially Supporting Hussein".

That title would have been accurate, as for the US Military they are legally forbidden to state a public opinion about any electoral process, although most of their tendencies are well known.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join