It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DDG-1000 Zumwalt class

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The prime missions of the DDG-1000 Zumwalt Class destroyer are to provide naval gunfire support and next-generation air defense in near-shore areas where other large ships hesitate to tread, possibly even as the anchor for an action group of stealthy Littoral Combat Ships and submarines. The estimated 14,500t (cruiser sized) Zumwalt Class will be fully multi-role, however, with undersea warfare, long-range surface attack, and ballistic missile defense roles. As such, the DDG-1000 is also envisioned as a “hidden ace card” that can use its overall stealth to create uncertainty for enemy forces.

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Last I've heard on the DDX project was that it wasn't going to be cancelled, but certain technologies that were to have been in the original design, like rail guns and a nuclear reactor were to be shelved or added on to the design in later models because of budget cuts. Despite those downgrades it should still be an extremely formidable war ship. Although the first bach of ships won't have rail guns, the navy is considering high caliber guns capable of firing mutiple shells per shot, like a big metal storm type gun and even tactical lasers.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Oh boy. Forget what I just said. I checked the new plans and requirements for the ship on wikiapedia and it seems too many things are up in the air at this point to honestly predict what systems will be retained in the actual production model. In fact I doubt it will even be built at this point. Some navy higher ups are trying to cancel the program and divert finds to build 8 more Arleigh Burke-class destroyers becasue of the proposed ships continually erroding capability requirements.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DSC
AEDALUS

that could be smoke screen tho

the Navy will have new destroyers, one day

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Useful article outlining the scrapping of the Zumwalt class, with the angle on the lack of ballistic missile capability over the existing Arleigh Burke designs with their proven Aegis systems.

Link to the Defence News website article dated 4 August 2008

Personally, I think that even the USN has woken up to the fact that the price of the Zumwalt class was a tad high.

Regards

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
But some information told that Zumwalt project has been completely cancelled.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
But some information told that Zumwalt project has been completely cancelled.

This is not true, at least not yet anyway. Too much material has already been purchased for the Navy to just throw it away.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
And now the US navy wants a third Zumwalt class destroyer. Have they actually got a plan for there navy.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by deckard83

This is typical politicking when a program is on its way to cancellation. congress says, go ahead and build the two you've already ordered material for, it'd be a waste not to. So the Navy and it's contractors say, "Oh, we actually have enough for three, is that OK?" Nothing too unusual about the situation.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The US gov has lot of toe to toe weapons which are good as weapons to be used in non urban combat, but they don't use tried and tested divide and conquer tactics

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by oxillini

Actually, it's usually a slightly different chain of events...the Navy decides that a program is beyond saving and decides to cancel it. Congress collectively breathes a sigh of relief, and starts working out who to give the money from the project to. Random Defense Contractor (Bath Ironworks, in this case) runs to their Congressslime and points out that they need that contract to continue so that all of their VOTING employees can remain employed (did we mention, sir, that our employees vote?) and so that campaign contributions can continue to flow. Congressman then goes back to his buddies and cuts a deal so that the contract is extended (making the contractor happy), and the Navy does a double-take and wonders how in the name of Davey Jones they got stuck with ANOTHER one of these 'miracle boats'.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I see them making like a limited number of the DDG-1000 then making a watered down version in higher numbers, just like they did with the virginias from the seawolfs. but still even with a small number of these they could be a good force multiplier. If it has a nuclear reactor I might even see myself on one of these one day. I can only hope.

top topics

join