It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain to censor the Internet - ATS at risk!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
"Almost cut my hair, happened just the other day. It's gettin' kinda long, I could have said it was in my way. But I didn't and I'm wonderin' why. I feel like letting my freak flag fly. And I feel, like I owe it, to someone."

"Must be because i had the flu for Christmas, and I'm not feeling up to par. It increases my paranoia. Like looking in a mirror and seeing a police car. But I'm not giving in an inch to fear, 'cause I've promised myself this year, I feel like I owe it to someone..."

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

On topic, I think I'll wait till McCain's policy is actually released before commenting.

but..... its WAY TO LATE, by then then my friend........

[edit on 15-8-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This article has 3086 diggs, ok there is no denying that this is for real...

Matt Stoller :: McCain Prepares to Hand the Internet Over to Comcast, Verizon, AT&T

The fact that Verizon and AT&T are both monopolies should worry most ppl, but the fact that McCain is about to hand the internet over to them should worry you even more.

As one poster put it on the article... it is unfortunate

Somebody made McCain aware of the internet...
that...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

Originally posted by Techsnow
The fact that Verizon and AT&T are both monopolies should worry most ppl, but the fact that McCain is about to hand the internet over to them should worry you even more.

They are not monopolies. The top 25 US ISP's control less than 80% of US subscribers; no single ISP controls more than about 15%.

www.isp-planet.com...

I find it ironic that one thread pokes fun at McCain because supposedly he cannot operate a PC, and another paints him as a technical whiz plotting to "control the internet".:shk:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I can just see it now:

Internet Access Surcharges

Basic Access: $ 49.95/mo includes government websites.

Extended Access: $ 99.95/mo includes basic plus entertainment websites

Extended Plus Access: $ 169.95/mo includes above, plus limited government forum access where you can express your opinions directly to the government.

Premium Access: $ 299.95/mo includes above, plus Ebay.

Silver Access: $ 499.95/mo includes above, plus UFO websites

Gold Access: $ 799.95/mo includes above, plus limited access to some closely monitored forums where you can voice your own opinion. But be careful- Big Brother is watching you. *This is our most economical "Freedom of Speech Plan.*

Platinum Access: $ 1,199.95/mo includes above plus limited, timed access to one "Freedom of Speech" forum of your choice. *Limitations do apply, but hey, at least you get to say what you want.

Plutonium Access: $ 2,995.00/mo. You are a Conspiracy Theorist and you will be arrested if you order this plan.

UNLIMITED ACCESS: $ 5,000/mo. Rub elbows with the elite. Interact, speak, post, and enjoy every ounce of freedom your money can buy.

ULTRA ACCESS: $ 9,999.00/mo You guessed it. P*O*R*N. Bad boy, but you earned it.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I dont think none of us want to go down that path. I'm not pulling for McCain nor Obama, both are jokes. I doubt ill even vote, but if I do choose to Alan Keyes has got a supporter here. He seems like he would be a good President.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
McCain has the same personality as Bush.

Luckily it doesnt seem that his odds are any good (for winning election).

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

It's not going to matter what McCain or Pajama Obama does or says. They cannot do it alone. They must have both houses of Congress working together to achieve it.

On top of that, 2012 issues are going to wreck havoc on this campaign and the next President, whoever He or She is !!!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

McCain has the same personality as Bush.

Luckily it doesnt seem that his odds are any good (for winning election).

Exactly, McCain is pretty well, George Bush. I dont think either of them has what it takes to run the country, because they both are tools. Bush is the type of guy that you'd sit down and drink a beer with rather than a leader.

So we are pretty well screwed either way IMO. If we vote McCain we vote for Bush again and nothing changes. If we vote for Obama with his lack of expierence and he keeps back tracking everything hes for, we'll never get nothing done.

Until 2012(Depending if something happens, im still unsure of what I believe at this point) we(The US of A) are going nowhere. I guess the best thing for us to do is hope.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by zeroxhour]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Yea the internet is full of false info like that one guy said.

So we should leave it up to our 'so called' elected officials to make separate lies from truth.

youve got to be kidding me. THey are the biggest disinfo people there is. Sure alot of people come up with their incorrect theories. But the govt is the one with PhD's and people with names they can pay to lie.

I'll take the internet and its endless chaos as long as it has all info....Up to me to find the truth vs being told it by some corrupt instituition. Wow...earth to sheeple.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tigpoppa

Serious or satire?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
First of all, McCain says he doesn't even use the Internet. I truly don't think he has any idea of what sites like ATS are.
Second, McCain can't just do what you suggest he said. It would require an act of Congress, and if the polls are correct, the Democrats will control both houses of Congress by a wide margin.
Third, it really doesn't matter which of the two are elected, because as many posters have pointed out on other threads, the corporations won't let EITHER candidate stray very far from the corporate line.
Most of the issues which the MSM focus on, are never an issue that means very much anyway. The REAL issues are decided in corporate back rooms and board meetings, then conveyed through their agents to the administration and congress. That's how "democracy" works here.
Most members are congress are concerned with their constituents' issues for about 2 to 3 months- the 2-3 months immediately before an election.
After that, they go back to doing whatever their real masters tell them to do.
If you don't believe me, take a look at the mailing you got from your representatives. You probably got some in the last month or two, or if not, will get some before November. They'll tell you all they did for you (virtually nothing). After November, you won't hear from them again until just before the next election.
Every presidential election, there is a great deal of fear mongering going on, by supporters of each candidate. Most of those things prove to be outright lies, like the rumor that Obama will charge a "property tax" on homes greater than 2400 square feet. When I first saw that one, I laughed. First of all, property taxes are LOCAL taxes, NEVER at the federal level. That one, as most others on both sides can easily to discredited. Some take more work.
Anyway, vote, it's your duty. However, understand that the powers that be, never allow anyone to make it to the convention nomination, unless they have hand-picked them.
I have no use for either candidate, but I still will vote- I'll write in my choice. At least I can sleep nights, knowing I didn't help elect one of the two "chosen ones".

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This will infringe on all of our freedoms as citizens of the United States. We can say what we want when we want. They shouldnt even be able to censor television! Whats next? LIFE? They can't censor everything. Too much protection hurts you know.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I am no lover of John McCain, but I have seen the list of people who got money from lobbies and PACs related to media and Obama is #1.

opensecrets.org...

Assuming the information is correct (heh) doesn't that mean Obama is at least as likely to sell us out if he is elected?

That would suck, the banner on my biggest news site has Bush flipping off a flag, as well as Bush and Condi Rice sort of... you know... and if the network starts being actively policed, how long do you think satirical pictures will last? Satirical messages? Materials critical of the administration? Things which do not make money for Viacom and NewsCorp?

When a bureaucratic type gets into a position of power, one of the first things that he/she does is use CENSORSHIP and overly strict MODERATION to suppress dissenting viewpoints or uncomfortable subjects.

It seems that very few people have the intestinal fortitude to support a truly free and open discourse.

And it is most disappointing when seen among those who would color themselves "intelligent".

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Symbiote]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Hello TheOracle,

Assuming worst case plays out as you posted it might, and censorship prevails. Is a quick fix to move "freedom of speech/freedom of the press" websites, such as ATS, to a non-US web host? Or is that just a quick fix, whereas, Comcast and the like would simply block freedom oriented sites like Communist China does?

As President Obama (or McCain) transitions us to THE North American Union, and the USA ceases to exist, then the future of ATS would become extremely precarious (given that the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and all freedoms will go away).

May I recommend that the moderators of ATS develop contingency plans (specifically continuity of operations plans) for such situations?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   

"So, will Web sites, will bloggers have to give equal time or equal space on their Web site to opposing views rather than letting the marketplace of ideas determine that?"

They won't be able to force anyone to do anything. They could possibly block some websites (and several countries do that) but that is a whole other thing.

Too many offshore servers out there. Even if sites are blocked there are too many ways to access them (they may block the domain name but often the ip address still works). They may be able to block the casual surfers from finding some sites but in circles like this, where links can be shared on other common websites it is just not going to happen.

Google was involved in some problem a while back, I think China wanted them to ban certain sites from the Chinese form of google. Don't recall the outcome but it caused a stir, if it came out Google was censoring sites from their main search engine they would NO LONGER BE the top search engine and they know it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join